Status
Not open for further replies.
Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with windrose handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary
Post Shave: Alum block and Pinaud Clubman
Missed my Sunday shave as a bit under the weather so Monday shave was a three day growth. First use of @Anthony 1st Anniversary soap( thanks to @Lifes a Peach ). Bloomed the soap for 10 mins and the bathroom was filled with wonderful floral scents. Lathering up was a breeze and it provided me with a thick luxurious lather which assisted my removal of the whiskers with no irritation or fuss for three easy passes. Very slick and smooth face feel and a strong scent that I really enjoy. Post shave feel was also excellent. A winner without a doubt
20150928_085550 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Pre-Shave PAA Mentholated ICE Scentless Pre-Shave Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Pannacrema Vetiver (from the PCTB3)
Razor Schick Injector (from the PCTB3)
Blade Mystery Injector blade from the PCTB3
Post Shave Myrsol Emulsion
Aftershave Pinaud Bay Rum (from the PCTB3)

Lovely shave this morning, face got a little too much sun or too little sunscreen yesterday so I put off the shave until this morning - usually prefer to sleep in a little Monday mornings.
Three passes with the schick and near BBS. The PC vetiver is a lovely scent and worked into a yoghurty lather with no problems. Quite slick but could have had a bit more cushion - but that may be due to using a sample cause I'm still getting a handle on loading the samples.

Kamisori: Benkei
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive/Lanolin
Aftershave: Proraso Green

This Benkei has a 'Spanish point'. One false move and it bites viciously. Tonight I opened up an old cut as well as slicing a new one. Nonetheless, I'm really happy with the shave. The result was extremely close yet comfortable.

The neck is becoming one of the easiest parts of the kamisori shave which both surprises and please me. The left side of the face (where both my cuts are) is a genuine challenge though.

The neck is becoming one of the easiest parts of the kamisori shave which both surprises and please me. The left side of the face (where both my cuts are) is a genuine challenge though.
I'm with you @khun_diddy. I've found the neck much easier to obtain a close shave with the kami rather than a Western straight. IMO it is the shorter blade of the kami on the hollows, folds and loose skin on the neck region. The left cheek close to the ear is difficult because of the kami handle being obstructed by the ear. I've gone away from a "classic" 3 pass shave, WTG downward pass to an ATG pass near my ear. The best "method" is the one that works.

IMO, using a kami is a good introduction to straights rather than the other way about.

@khun_diddy OW!! Have a look at the one @Mark sent you as I think it has a more rounded toe/point. I may be wrong. I'm happy to smooth the point off for you on mine if that will save you some blood.

My shave was a pretty rough affair tonight as the saga of the sensitive skin around the mouth and chin continues with a change in blood medication. Nothing, SE or straight felt sharp as everything tried to drag whiskers out by the roots. Oh well always tomorrow.

@khun_diddy OW!! Have a look at the one @Mark sent you as I think it has a more rounded toe/point. I may be wrong. I'm happy to smooth the point off for you on mine if that will save you some blood.

My shave was a pretty rough affair tonight as the saga of the sensitive skin around the mouth and chin continues with a change in blood medication. Nothing, SE or straight felt sharp as everything tried to drag whiskers out by the roots. Oh well always tomorrow.
Time to get that goatee going!

Mark's one is more novice-friendly for sure but I think you should leave the point there on yours. It's a gentle reminder to use correct form.

Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera Manchurian Finest
Soap : Mikes Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Razor : Weber PH
Blade : Personna Med Prep
Aftershave : Thayers Witch Hazel and Fine L'Orange Noir

A discussion with @alfredus on Friday and a video of a lathering technique that he sent me spurned me to reach for the Mikes this morning. Although I did not achieve the sensational lather that I saw in the video, it was a big improvement on my past efforts. The lather was thick and slick. Quite moist and shiny from start to finish.

What a difference it makes to a shave when the lather is just right.

jt3nhcB.jpg

Pre-Shave PAA Mentholated ICE Scentless Pre-Shave Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Le Pere Lucien Le Savon du Barbier (from the PCTB3)
Kamisori Hoshitombo 6000
Razor Schick Injector (from the PCTB3)
Blade Unnamed Injector blade from the PCTB3
Post Shave Aesop Moroccan Neroli Post-Shave Lotion (from the PCTB3)

My Hositombo arrived back from @Mark today all honed and ready to go so I had to use it in tonight's shave. The doctor says that once the bandages come off you'll hardly be able to see the scars.

Actually it was a relatively successful first try with the kami. Only a few weepers from where I got too close to my chin. It's going to take a while to I get past the cheeks and onto the chin and under the nose.

Finished up with the first pass with the schick and managed to nick myself with it during the second pass.

The Aesop Post-shave lotion helped take the edge off any irritation.

Dare I say maybe you should tray the humble SAFETY razor? There is a a good reason they became so popular: less blood :D

I believe @khun_diddy has one of the best vintage examples: the flat bottom britsh Tech - paired with a nice sharp, yet smooth blade (think maybe PolSilver SI) and it should take care of the trouble spots...without need for the styptic.

Brush: Shedomatic
Razor: 37c
Blade: French Gillette, thanks to @eggbert
Soap: TOBS Jermyn St cream
A/S: Stirling Vetiver Witch Hazel & Aloe
Balm Jabonman Wet Earth

Found the French Gillette didn't like the slant, it snapped at one end!
Think it is a carbon blade, considering it's started to discolour after a single use.

IMO, using a kami is a good introduction to straights rather than the other way about.

Agree completely @Dale.Whiley - I made the point recently that getting the Kami under control improves your technique across the board. Only thing I find a tad more difficult with the straight after the Kami is that the straight is so long. More blade than I'll ever use all at once on my face. Makes hunting for shorter bladed Japanese straights a worthwhile exercise (y)

My Hositombo arrived back from @Mark today all honed and ready to go so I had to use it in tonight's shave. The doctor says that once the bandages come off you'll hardly be able to see the scars.

Actually it was a relatively successful first try with the kami. Only a few weepers from where I got too close to my chin. It's going to take a while to I get past the cheeks and onto the chin and under the nose.

Finished up with the first pass with the schick and managed to nick myself with it during the second pass.

The Aesop Post-shave lotion helped take the edge off any irritation.

Great work Stu! Gallows humour aside, it sounds like a very successful maiden shave. And yeah, the chin is a bit more difficult for sure. It won't take long at all to get it under control. Rock on mate, and make sure to have some styptic on hand :p:p:p

img_1799.jpg

Restored Rubberset
Soap Commander Passion
Ikon SB
Gillette Swede (2)
Figaro Gold Aftershave

Good shave today. Still recovering from a bug at the moment but felt good to have a shower and shave.

The Rubberset works well. The wax I used on the wood didn't seem to like water so I think I'll have to varnish the handle at some point.

Preshave: Proraso red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood Sandalwood
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX and Old Spice AS
Three pass shave today with a little irritation under the jawline. The balm certainly helped with that. These blades don't feel sharp enough for me and I may have pushed it a bit. The soap is excellent giving a rich luxurious lather and the scent is a very strong woody scent.
20150929_083403 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.