Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap/Cream: Strop Shoppe Date Night
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Gillette Platinum [5]
After-shave: Phoenix Accoutrements SpeakEasy AS & Cologne

Quick shave before rushing out the door. The ERR gives a terrific shave, especially when matched with a vintage blade. The 1305 is now becoming super soft. It seems to match the hype given to it by some...

201500929_SOTDSCarSky_zpsz8gk9wfq.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Kronos (kindly loaned by @Draco Noir )
Blade: PolSilver SI (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary (kindly donated by @Lifes a Peach )
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Today I added the new Shaver Heaven Soap into the mix - again many thanks to the Melbourne group and especially to @Lifes a Peach and his son for this very kind donation!

At first this soap behaved like most other Vegan soaps I have used but soon it was clear to me, that it does indeed stand above the crowd. It can take far more water than any other Vegan soap I have tried so far, and it definitely beats Otoko Organics in terms of performance and is also slicker than the only other Vegan soap I have in my rotation - The Beach. The soap is dead easy to load - but that comes as no surprise, given it is rather soft and I threw a synthetic brush at it.

I am fortunate enough to have been going through @bald as shaving school and it it crystal clear to me, that the soap has a very high stearic acid content. That gives it it's beautiful creaminess which I assume is the reason it is so loved by many shavers. It is an ultra slick soap and as already mentioned can take a fair amount of water and still hold its shape. Having said that, I personally still prefer the lather I can get from a tallow based soap. But for the first time, I attribute this to a personal preference and not to a scientific rationalisation of performance.

I want to congratulate @Anthony on this great product - I am sure it will be very successful in the wet shaving circles. For me the sad thing is, that I did get some very slight irritation - it was very short lived, but still noticeable. I would assume, this is the FO in there, but who knows. My skin is at the moment hyper sensitive...

Now coming back to the ATT S1 - it is a very mild razor. I would say it is definitely more manoeuvrable on the face than my RRSS, due to the flatter head geometry - but I would also say it is a bit less efficient than the RRSS. Having said that, I had a very effortless shave today and hardly noticed the sharp PolSilver SI blade in the razor. Is it possible, that I finally found a tool, that can make feathers enjoyable for me? Well only time will tell...

A close encounter of the straight razor kind tonight proved once again I have a lot to learn. It was however a good experience - 3 small nicks, a dash of razor burn and the realization that the road to perfection has a number of hills yet to climb. I did learn a 3/8 in the hands of a nervous novice is a dangerous piece of steel. I tried it under the nose so I will leave it to your imagination the outcome. We all eventually heal.

Steve

Razor: Merkur 34C
Brush: Shavemac two band
Soap: Figaro
Aftershave: Florid was a sample from @Mark1966

First shave with the Figaro soap. Scent is almond, is pleasant but not overpowering (maybe a touch weak). Performance of the soap was fine, created a good lather. All in all a good shave.

Pre-Shave @Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Jabonman Ylang-Ylang Patchouli (from the PCTB3)
Kamisori Hoshitombo 6000
Razor Schick Injector (from the PCTB3)
Blade Personna blade (from the PCTB3)
Post Shave Le Pere Lucien Lotion du Barbier
Scent] Geo F Trumpers Eucris (from the PCTB3)

The Jabonman Ylang-Ylang Patchouli was a great match for the pre-shave oil scent-wise, but the oil killed the lather, Had to wash my face before I could re-lather.
Got the cheeks smooth with the Hoshitombo without any blood but still feels awkward in my hand - maybe cause I'm a lefty or just cause I'm generally uncoordinated. Hopefully it will come together with practise.

Not sure how long the injector blades should last but felt a bit tuggy last night, time to move onto the Gem me thinks.

Loved the scent of the LPL Lotion but the GFT Eucris gets a big pass going forward.

rW0RLTl.png

Brush: Erskine reknot
Soap: DR Harris Arlington
Razor: Barbasol Floating Head (loan from @Mark1966)
Blade: Gillette Thin [1]
After-shave: Truefitt & Hill 1805 AS

Crikey! Almost scraped my face off with this beast. I don't know if @Mark1966 wanted to do me in with this razor! :suspicious: The blade sticks out the side and I just couldn't find a comfortable angle whatsoever. I tried steep, shallow and everything inbetween but to no avail. I managed a single pass without blood before wussing out reaching for the nimble Eclipse with the Malteser blade in it. (I value my face...) Definitely one to chalk up to "I survived the BFH razor". I'm not a huge fan of über-aggressive razors so this ain't for me...

Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Brush: Jack Black
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
Razor: Mergress XL (1) :)
Blade: Gillette Blue (1)
After Shave: Proraso

The Mergress XL which I got for a bargain from @stillshunter arrived in the post today and I was very keen to give it a try. @stillshunter included plenty of sample soaps and blades for me to try in the package so I decided to go with a Gillette Blue blade and the LPL for my first drive of the Mergress. My only other DE shaver has been a 34C so the Merkur felt like a hefty beast in comparison. The LPL burst into a rich lather very easily (what a great soap) and I was soon attacking my face with the Mergress on a setting of about 3 for starters. After I had nearly ripped my face off, I dialled the razor back to a 1 or so and finished off the rest of the shave. I really, really like this razor. It is balanced nicely and the weight doesn't take long to get used to. I'm looking forward to my next shave. :D

After I had nearly ripped my face off, I dialled the razor back to a 1 or so and finished off the rest of the shave. I really, really like this razor. It is balanced nicely and the weight doesn't take long to get used to. I'm looking forward to my next shave. :D
Congratulations on a terrific modern DE. It's currently the only modern adjustable.
(And starting at the first setting will allow you plenty of room to "advance" in the future. [emoji6])
It's fairly common to change settings between passes. So starting at a higher number and ending lower for more gentle "buffing".

The Mergress XL which I got for a bargain from @stillshunter arrived in the post today and I was very keen to give it a try. @stillshunter included plenty of sample soaps and blades for me to try in the package so I decided to go with a Gillette Blue blade and the LPL for my first drive of the Mergress. My only other DE shaver has been a 34C so the Merkur felt like a hefty beast in comparison. The LPL burst into a rich lather very easily (what a great soap) and I was soon attacking my face with the Mergress on a setting of about 3 for starters. After I had nearly ripped my face off, I dialled the razor back to a 1 or so and finished off the rest of the shave. I really, really like this razor. It is balanced nicely and the weight doesn't take long to get used to. I'm looking forward to my next shave. :D

Great news mate. So glad it went to a good home. (y)

Agreed the LPL is a phenomenally good soap - in my Top 5 without question. It'll serve you well for straight shaving too....but I'll leave that enabling to @Mark

Yeah "3" on the Mergress is pretty vicious for starters. I eventually worked up to "2.5" which I found the sweet spot on the Mergress.

Hey @filobiblic - be careful with the H1 in the PCTB3 if you don't like Barbasol! I didn't think it was THAT aggro actually from memory.

Congrats @CRC32 - great purchasing from a great seller in @stillshunter - overall well done!

Also congrats on a great razor - the progress was my first DE - and I miss her from time to time...

Just a word of warning: the angle of attack on the razor will change, when you adjust it - and the most noticeable change is from fully closed to a bit open (0-1). I would highly recommend dialling in on each setting, before making adjustments - especially during the shave.

I also agree with @stillshunter, that 2.5 is eventually the sweet spot - this will give you very close, yet still very comfortable shaves.

Kamisori: Benkei
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive/Lanolin
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

I'm smiling like a certifiable madman. Kamisori shaving is giving me an almost unreasonable amount of satisfaction. Tonight I gave the blade more momentum and it lead to the best result yet. Current area of focus: Use less pressure on neck.

I once again offer heartfelt thanks to @Mark, @bald as, @Draco Noir, @Dale.Whiley and all the other kamisori enablers that put in place the conditions for me to take up and enjoy this wonderful habit.

img_1809.jpg

S&C Silvertip
Tiki Land Locked
Ikon SB
Gillette Swede (3)
Florida Water

An orange scented shave today. I still feel like this brush has too much backbone for my liking. Nice lather from the Tiki and a hell of a burn from the Florida Water. I think this blade may be a touch too sharp for the SB, finished the last pass with the goose.

Status
Not open for further replies.