Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
151003_zpszoc84kn7.png

Rather preoccupied for todays shave - the usual focussed mindfulness was rattling with "ETW"s and "WTS"s haha

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliating Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush : Epsilon Horsehair
Soap : Martin de Candre Original
Razor : Kamisori - Hoshi Tombo 6000
After Shave Splash : Myrsol Metilsol
After After Shave : Eau de L'Occitan

A all round nice shave nevertheless, until I cut my finger while cleaning the razor in isopropyl alcohol - talk about sting.............

9P
20151003_125229_zpsphbfacot.jpg

SOTD Saturday, 3/10/2015
Cold water shave
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Ginger Snap
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Razor: Gold Monkey 6/8

After 2 weeks of using the kamisori I decided to move back to one of the straights this morning.

Ginger snap by Shaver Heaven is an interesting offering. Like all of @Anthony's soap, performance is second to none. Great lather, good performance/glide, retains moisture content for the entire pass. The interesting part is the scent. Ginger Snap is just that; a very sweet aroma. I've used it 4 times now and each time it reminds me of Nan's old fashioned Christmas puddings she would prepare for days before the big family feast. You remember the one; so full of fruit and goodies, including the sixpences (wrapped in Alfoil to be reused every year as Decimal currency came into circulation 14 February 1966) that it weighted about 2 ton. That's why hot custard was essential; break the mass up and wash it down. Just too "sweet" for my nose.

Anyway, back to the shave. Great to be using a straight again. I did have one nick though. I was so busy admiring how smooth the straight was performing I wasn't watching the blade properly. As I placed it back to my neck, the lump from my Adam's apple being slightly higher bore a slight nick.

Good performing soap with an "interesting" scent (by no means unpleasant though; just different). Great performing straight.

Happy days. Especially when the MIGHTY NQ COWBOYS take out the NRL Grand Final tomorrow evening.

20151003_SOTDSSepia_zps7ntfgltn.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT M1 Kronos (kindly loaned by @Draco Noir)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavender & Cedarwood
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Really nice shave with the M1 plate, smooth and close - not quiet BBS - but I will give it a couple more tries. Finally managed to get a boar out again, after seeing it in a beautiful SOTD pic over at the Nook. Boy they are so sparse. I now understand, why some refer to all boars as floppy. It's not the actual hair, it's the sparsely packed knot...

I wonder, if one day those boar brush makers realise what I really want: a brush with SOC like hair, 26mm+ knot, shorter lofted, more densely packed, a nice resin handle and NO FAKE BADGER BAND!!! Will be a pain to break in, but then it could be a truly amazing brush. They should have a look what Vie-Long did with the Epsilon - but I would assume this was more the making of @Gifts&Care.com

Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Brush: Jack Black
Soap: Ingrams
Razor: Mergress XL (2) :)
After Shave: Proraso

My second shave with the Mergress. @stillshunter advised that the Gillette I used last shave might not be the best blade to start with in the adjustable so I went for a Voskhod at his suggestion. A nice blade and a nice shave. The Ingrams soap/cream was excellent but I used way too much and I had foam overflowing from the bowl. I quite liked the scent - rose maybe?

Brush: Eplison Horsehair
Razor: Maggard
Soap: Soap Commander Gusto

Good shave today with the soap commander summer scent. It seems that summer has come early, so I used the soap. Great raspberry lemonade scent and good performance.

Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Brush: Jack Black
Soap: Ingrams
Razor: Mergress XL (2) :)
After Shave: Proraso

My second shave with the Mergress. @stillshunter advised that the Gillette I used last shave might not be the best blade to start with in the adjustable so I went for a Voskhod at his suggestion. A nice blade and a nice shave. The Ingrams soap/cream was excellent but I used way too much and I had foam overflowing from the bowl. I quite liked the scent - rose maybe?

Great to hear you're bonding a little more with the Mergress XL mate - so do you think she's a keeper?
So the Voshkod was a little more comfortable? Another nice blade in it I found was the Permasharp Super, Gillette Blacks and the Personna Blue - even the Rapira doesn't go too badly.

I wonder, if one day those boar brush makers realise what I really want: a brush with SOC like hair, 26mm+ knot, shorter lofted, more densely packed, a nice resin handle and NO FAKE BADGER BAND!!! Will be a pain to break in, but then it could be a truly amazing brush. They should have a look what Vie-Long did with the Epsilon - but I would assume this was more the making of @Gifts&Care.com

Definitely put me down for one of these brushes too please mate!

Kamisori: Benkei
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive/Lanolin
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill 1805

Shave was good. I did extra passes in order to practise my technique, so on the neck there's a little warmth from over-shaving but not too much. Afterwards I had a nice little win with the post-shave stropping so I'm very satisfied.

Bring on tomorrow evening's tilt!

I'm finding stropping the kamisori more difficult than shaving with it. Tonight the stropping went really smoothly and the motion was more fluid than it has been previously.
Thanks mate, I expected a larger disaster.
Anything you noted in the difference which you care to share that might help us also early on the kamisori path?

Status
Not open for further replies.