20151014_063247_zpsttsj4z1l.jpg

SOTD Wednesday, October 14.
Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sensuous Sandlewood
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Gold Monkey 6/8

Good performing soap, sharp blade, close shave, no nicks. Finished off with espresso then home made bay rum A/S. Bring it on world, I'm ready.

151014_zpsowfwmaif.png

Face Wash : Shower, PAA Menthol Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : Razorock Peppermint Pre-Shave Emulsion
Brush : Plisson blah blah blah
Soap : Ubermix - Mitchell's Woolfat + Proraso White Shave Cream + 4 drops Glycerin
Razor : Puma 5/8" Friseur Freund #1
After Shave : Alum, Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : Musgo Real Orange Amber

Taking no chances after yesterday's dehydrating Martin de Candre debacle, I decided to take a leaf from @Osman's current book and brew up a lather which (in theory) shouldn't dare to go dry on me. Even added a few drops of glycerin just to make certain. Well, it certainly smelled nice - although most of Proraso's fragrances fail for me, this one really makes up for it. The MWF gave it a wonderful TALLOW backbone (yes, @alfredus, the real thing) and the glycerin kept it all beautifully moist.

Then a big change - a shave with German steel. This is the first time in ages that non-Japanese steel has touched my face, and I have to admit to being well impressed. A very smooth shave and a wonderfully loud razor. Achieved a super result and enjoyed the heck out of the shave. Only one thing could make it better - a splash of a favourite AS, which Musgo Real's Orange Amber is for me.

I hope everyone else had a super enjoyable midweek shave too :whistle::):whistle:

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn soap (thank you @Draco Noir )
Brush: Paladin TSN LE 2015
Razor: Mongoose SE mounted to a Weber Wave Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild blade

My first shave with a Muhle soap, a kind gift from Mr Kamisori. To be honest I did not have high expectations but I was wrong. It produces a high quality lather despite it's unassuming looks and lack of soap making pedigree. A small but hard puck that I expect will last for a very long time. After a slow start the Paladin brush is quickly becoming a favourite.

The shave itself was a bit meh. Not as smooth as I would like. Getting too cocky with the Mongoose, again. This razor is like my golf; give it away for a month or so and I'm hitting the greens, play it too much and I'm slicing the ball into the car park. Myrsol Agua Balsamic to the rescue once again.

Have a great day, guys.

151014_zpsowfwmaif.png

Face Wash : Shower, PAA Menthol Pre-Shave Soap
Pre Shave : Razorock Peppermint Pre-Shave Emulsion
Brush : Plisson blah blah blah
Soap : Ubermix - Mitchell's Woolfat + Proraso White Shave Cream + 4 drops Glycerin
Razor : Puma 5/8" Friseur Freund #1
After Shave Splash : Musgo Real Orange Amber

Taking no chances after yesterday's dehydrating Martin de Candre debacle, I decided to take a leaf from @Osman's current book and brew up a lather which (in theory) shouldn't dare to go dry on me. Even added a few drops of glycerin just to make certain. Well, it certainly smelled nice - although most of Proraso's fragrances fail for me, this one really makes up for it. The MWF gave it a wonderful TALLOW backbone (yes, @alfredus, the real thing) and the glycerin kept it all beautifully moist.

Then a big change - a shave with German steel. This is the first time in ages that non-Japanese steel has touched my face, and I have to admit to being well impressed. A very smooth shave and a wonderfully loud razor. Achieved a super result and enjoyed the heck out of the shave. Only one thing could make it better - a splash of a favourite AS, which Musgo Real's Orange Amber is for me.

I hope everyone else had a super enjoyable midweek shave too :whistle::):whistle:
An excellent recipe for an uber lather

Wednesday 14 October 2015

215376d1444823897-sun-october-11th-sat-october-17th-sotd-14102015.jpg

Osborne, Garrett & Co. Kropp, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point

A very pleasing shave. It has been quite a long time since I used this Kropp razor and I can still say it is a great shaver. I simply refreshed its edge on my Mastro Livi loom strop with his chromium oxide stick and this Kropp was absolutely ready to give me a very good shave. I also used Martin De Candre soap - what else can be said about this magnificent soap? - and mounting the lather with my Mastro Livi "Italian Brush" has been very easy. The finishing touch has been provided by this Felce Azzurra Uomo aftershave, not the very best around, however doing a good job.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Martin De Candre
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Osborne, Garrett & Co. Kropp, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Felce Azzurra Uomo

Wednesday 14 October 2015

215376d1444823897-sun-october-11th-sat-october-17th-sotd-14102015.jpg

Osborne, Garrett & Co. Kropp, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point

A very pleasing shave. It has been quite a long time since I used this Kropp razor and I can still say it is a great shaver. I simply refreshed its edge on my Mastro Livi loom strop with his chromium oxide stick and this Kropp was absolutely ready to give me a very good shave. I also used Martin De Candre soap - what else can be said about this magnificent soap? - and mounting the lather with my Mastro Livi "Italian Brush" has been very easy. The finishing touch has been provided by this Felce Azzurra Uomo aftershave, not the very best around, however doing a good job.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Martin De Candre
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Osborne, Garrett & Co. Kropp, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Felce Azzurra Uomo

Looks like a great shave. Fantastic looking brush.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Soap: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary
Brush: Chubby 1
Post-Shave: Argan

First shave with a Progress and it will take a bit of tweaking to get it dialed in perfectly but i feel great potential there. Seems to require a slightly different angle to most DEs too. I seem to be gravitating to my Merkurs more and more for some reason. Thanks to the blokes who donated the soap and the oil for our Adelaide meeting. After an hour I still cant stop rubbing my face haha.

bXRcGuNl.jpg

Preshave: Occams original
Razors: Merkur 39C, Parker 91R (ATG under nose)
Blades: Astra SP (Merkur), Derby (Parker)
Brush: Omega 10065
Soap: Soap Commander Purpose
Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

Extremely smooth shave with the slant today. Haven't used it for a few weeks so used the Parker for the ATG pass under the nose. I've cut my lip due to the blade gap and slant on the 39C before. Didn't feeling like risking it today.

The Occams and Ogallala comes from @stillshunter and the Soap Commander from @nav1. I've Been lucky to get some nice deals on the buy/sell forum :D
The Ogallala scent seems to last a fair while. The aftershave itself is very mild, gave zero burn. Probably since its Witch-hazel based. I may get a bottle of the lime at some point, I'm not huge on sandalwood. Usually I go for lighter citrus and menthol type scents, so today is an interesting change!

20151015_061209_zps4ynerreg.jpg

SOTD Thursday, October 15
Cold water shave
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sensuous Sandlewood
Brush: Simpson Berkerley badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Stainless Steel 5/8

Great lather with this soap. The Simpson badger is a great brush, smaller than many but produces a great lather.

Put thr Dovo on the hones last week and the resultant shave is excellent. Close, no tugging and no nicks.

151015_zpszwsga0i4.png

Face Wash : Shower, Razorock Lime Menthol Pre-Shave Soap
Brush : Romera 2 Band
Soap : Mike's Peppermint and Rosemary
Razor : Kamisori - Hoshi Tombo
After Shave Splash : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

First try of the revered Mike's Natural Soap this morning. In spite of having received the indoctrination and psychological conditioning, and having watched the "How to Get a Great Lather from Mike's in 17 Easy Steps" video, I must have gotten the offerings to the shave gods mixed up today. (OMG, hope that doesn't mean they'll require a blood sacrifice tomorrow morning?)

Seriously, I managed to get a reasonable lather, but definitely not the lather I hear described in reverential tones around here... Oh well Rome wasn't built in a day, If at first you don't succeed then try, try again(and the rest of those infuriating homilies only ever uttered in smug tones by those who succeeded first time through pure, blind luck) I suspect a few more watchings of the video and a few practice lathers will get it sorted (y)

Aside from the soap disappointment, the shave was super. The Hoshi Kami sailed through the task and left me feeling great. The usual rinse/alum/rinse and another new bit of software. I ran out of Argan Oil yesterday, which was great cos the one I bought last time didn't smell brilliant. I replaced it with a bottle of Swisse brand, which is certified organic and has a hint of organic citrus fragrance. A nice product indeed - left my incredibly smooth skin feeling nourished and elastic.

Happy shaves to all (y)

A very pleasing shave. It has been quite a long time since I used this Kropp razor and I can still say it is a great shaver.

Wow, what a change - @razorguy shaving with a razor not created by Mastro Livi? I've often thought that is must be a lonely life for non Mastro Livi razors in your collection @razorguy! Unless of course you have figured out how to manage 2-3 shaves per day. Thanks for another interesting SOTD (y)

151015_zpszwsga0i4.png

Face Wash : Shower, Razorock Lime Menthol Pre-Shave Soap
Brush : Romera 2 Band
Soap : Mike's Peppermint and Rosemary
Razor : Kamisori - Hoshi Tombo
After Shave Splash : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

First try of the revered Mike's Natural Soap this morning. In spite of having received the indoctrination and psychological conditioning, and having watched the "How to Get a Great Lather from Mike's in 17 Easy Steps" video, I must have gotten the offerings to the shave gods mixed up today. (OMG, hope that doesn't mean they'll require a blood sacrifice tomorrow morning?)

Seriously, I managed to get a reasonable lather, but definitely not the lather I hear described in reverential tones around here... Oh well Rome wasn't built in a day, If at first you don't succeed then try, try again(and the rest of those infuriating homilies only ever uttered in smug tones by those who succeeded first time through pure, blind luck) I suspect a few more watchings of the video and a few practice lathers will get it sorted (y)

Aside from the soap disappointment, the shave was super. The Hoshi Kami sailed through the task and left me feeling great. The usual rinse/alum/rinse and another new bit of software. I ran out of Argan Oil yesterday, which was great cos the one I bought last time didn't smell brilliant. I replaced it with a bottle of Swisse brand, which is certified organic and has a hint of organic citrus fragrance. A nice product indeed - left my incredibly smooth skin feeling nourished and elastic.

Happy shaves to all (y)
For what it's worth, I find that building the lather over a longer than normal period and adding water very slowly results in an amazing Mike's lather.

Razor: Barbasol Bakelite Handle
Blade: Gillette Française Traitée Nouvelle Technique S-1 1972@8
Soap: LaToja Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Nivea Original Lotion

Another day, another razor.
Hmmmmm sounds like these blades are quite good. If you're managing to get ~8+ shaves from them I guess they're definitely stainless steel and not carbon, which was a lil unclear earlier. Somewhat kicking myself as I know you're a real vintage blade buff with quite the enviable stash of vintage blades and if these are up there for you they're up there for anyone - and I had a chance to get quite a few of these rather affordabley but passed on it as from the Mr Razor Gillette blade pictorial history I assumed these must be carbon steel....very little info out there about them too, but they sound a lovely blade. :)

20151015_SOTDSSepia_zpsmyr3yhgz.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Pre-Shave Oil: Neroli & Bergamot Argan Oil (Oil made and kindly donated by Draco Noir)
Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Soap: Mike's Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another wonderful shave today - made again possible by my friend @Draco Noir. I have had his pre/post shave oil sitting on my shelf for a couple of weeks now, but I didn't want to use it with other unknowns. So today was finally the day to bring it out.

I believe it is an Argan Oil base? In any case the scent is wonderful!!! I am not too sure if it did to my actual shave - but it was a wonderful way to start a shave with such a nice scent and thinking of the nice Melbourne lunch we had together a couple of weeks ago! At my next shave I will try it as a post-shave - I have a feeling it will excel there!

The Mike's Lime is probably the most subtle scent of the Mike's soap I have tried - still very fresh and lovely - just perfect for a hot Adelaide day. The lather was of course out of this world, but I expected nothing less, especially when paired with the Paladin.

I used today my ATT R1 for the first time in ages - just to continue with my ATT trial. I almost forgot, why I enjoy this razor so much and why it used to be my #1 in the stable. Such a close shave with zero issues - it feels at tad more aggressive on the face than the Wolf, but the shave is also a tad closer. It is a fantastic razor in any case and I think it is still my favourite ATT head.

I am very sorry to hear that as I know to be the culprit - should have sent you the right tutorial straight away - but I think you have it now under control and the next one will be there (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.