Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a lousy shave tonight. Blade was fine popping whiskers very smoothly but my face felt like it was being attacked by a chainsaw, my actual skin is so sensitive from bl***y blood thinners. The same blade as the last shave as well which was really enjoyable. Still when the face heals and the blood thinners stop working there is always another shave. One advantage of blood meds is you really do tend to learn quickly to shave carefully. :)

0ezq3Kfl.jpg

Great shave today. I'd forgotten how nice Shaverheaven original glycerine soap was. Perfect three pass BBS topped off with the wonderful Blue Stratos scent.

Unfortunately not. Peter (fido) retired a while ago and sold off the last of his brushes. I picked one up as a spare.

Bugger :(

Was on my list of 'must try one day' - I left it too late ...

nice looking brushes they were.

Kamisori Yamashita | Brush Omega S10108 | Soap Gent's V3 Original | Aftershave Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Fifty straight shaves! I raised the kami to acknowledge the crowd but the celebrations were short lived as I have my eyes firmly set on the ton and I have a steely determination to not lose my wicket before that milestone.

There's still hope for you. Pretty certain I've still got mine, happy to dig around if you're keen to get it.

Double Bugger! Now I need to spend more money ....

Don't rush to find it mate but if you come across it let me know

Thurs
Pre-shave:
Cetaphil Cleansing Bar
Razor: Merkur 39C Slant
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Soap: Cella
Brush: Semogue 1800
Post-shave: Alum & Speick

So I tried to resist the allure of something new and shiny to play with, but failed. Good and bad points to today's shave.

Good - close... I mean really close. No nicks but closer than I have ever had with the 34c. The Pol Si did a great job as well.

Bad - irritation... my inexperience using a tallow soap. Little did I know that if I added too much water, even if it looked like a good consistency, it would reduce the slickness and become "dry".

Overall love the slant, the blade. Not sure about the Cella scent at all still. Will give one more go at a later stage. Tomorrow will either be Shaver Heaven or MWF.

Razor: Merkur 39C with Barber Pole handle
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Thater 49125/1
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe
Aftershave: Folsom & Co. Black Powder

B&M were the first artisan soaps I purchased and as well as having top notch performance, they also have very unique scents. Some can be quite polarizing but I really enjoy trying to identify the various components of each scent as I shave. If you haven't tried B&M yet I highly recommend either Seville or Lavanille as they are pretty safe but very well crafted and complex.

Y47XmOt.jpg

Qmbj50S.png

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Cream: Occams Original Shave Cream
Razor: Kirby Beard
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson [1]
After-shave: Barberry Coast Havana

Sublime!

The Kirby Beard doesn't just look amazing, but produces an excellent shave. Paired with a vintage Wilkie (not sure it's heritage!), it was a smooth and comfortable shave. The noise as I shaved was the loudest of the DEs. Apart from the heavier weight (due to the handle), it reminds me of the Eclipse Red Ring. It oozes charm, has sensational looks, and performs like a champion. Give me a classic vintage razor over a modern industrial razor any day!

Occams never disappoints. The best shave cream I have used. It never fails to explode into a rich, thick lather.

The Havana aftershave from Barberry Coast is intoxicating. The scent is simply wonderful; cocoa, vanilla and tobacco flower intertwined together. The scent is backed by a lovely feel to the face. A winner for sure.

(I haven't seen the chap here in a while, but @luckypirate from Bay Rum Australia sells the Havana. I notice he has a sampler set which includes both the Havana and No. 28 Bay Rum from Barberry Coast.)
Give the man a decent vintage De and he forgets about straights :)
Havana appears something I will have to try on my skin.

img_1970.jpg

Just for you. The brush is also now unobtainium :)
Those Polsilvers are a top blade ;)
It's rumoured I've enough to build a battleship.

Razor: Merkur 39C with Barber Pole handle
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Thater 49125/1
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe
Aftershave: Folsom & Co. Black Powder

B&M were the first artisan soaps I purchased and as well as having top notch performance, they also have very unique scents. Some can be quite polarizing but I really enjoy trying to identify the various components of each scent as I shave. If you haven't tried B&M yet I highly recommend either Seville or Lavanille as they are pretty safe but very well crafted and complex.

Y47XmOt.jpg
What do you think of the Cologne Russe ?
Am glad another tub made it into Australia before selling out though :)
That Thater is probably the baby version of what I one day will purchase from them.

Ah, I am relieved now (y)
If there ever eventuates an occasion you require a cathater to be inserted within you for whatever relief purposes, kindly inform them you only require an @unobtainium81 SOTD pic to meet the same result ;)
@unobtainium81 you might of found a niche money spinner within this :p

20151106_064419_zpssr391str.jpg

SOTD Friday, November 6

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloomwater
Soap: Soap Commander, Purpose (bay rum)
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89, Bulldog handle
Blade: Astra Green SP (2)

Still not 100% on my feet yet after yesterday's fainting spell so went with the DE again for practical reasons; that and the fact I dom't like wasting things and disposing of a DE blade after one use irks me a bit.

3 pass shave. Still a couple of spots I should a tidied up but more than presentable.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum can someone explain how to PM mark might need his services to hone my new straight razor sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.
Regards
cranky
I'll send you a PM Cranky, for future reference you can click on the name, a small pop-up window will show up with basic profile info, then click the "start a conversation" tab.

20151106_083544 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Vielong Horse
Soap: Castle Forbes Cedarwood Sandalwood
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Three pass shave . Didn't change much in the shaves this week other than the soap just to get a feel of the differences between them. This is a very good soap that lathers easily to produce a very protective lather. The scent is very woodsy, very masculine. Busy day ahead.

Give the man a decent vintage De and he forgets about straights :)
Hmmm, you must have skipped yesterday's SOTD with the straight... [emoji38]

Status
Not open for further replies.