Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday 4 November 2015

217561d1446653115-sun-november-01st-sat-november-07th-sotd-04112015.jpg

Traveling with a Mastro Livi RWL34

This is my first Mastro Livi straight razor made of RWL34 stainless steel, a razor I bought a little more than two years ago. I must say, it was love at first sight with this amazing stainless steel, as I consider it to give a very smooth and deep shave although somewhat agressive, however very performing. I have never honed this razor, not even a simple touch up on chromium oxide, and it still shaves like the first time. When I ordered this razor I asked Mastro Livi if I could make a video of its making and he allowed me to film it. In case you are curious to watch it, below you will find the link to this video. This RWL34 is the straight razor I chose to take with me in this business trip and I am sure it will make a great companion, not to mention the incredible shaves it will give me while I am away from home.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Red Tub
  • Brush: Sephora Badger 491
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Brush: Index and Middle Finger
Soap/Cream: Euro Palmolive Shave Stick
Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
Post Shave: Aesop Moroccan Neroli Post-Shave Lotion

LOL - somehow my travel brush was not in my kit when I packed it :(

Managed to make a passable lather just using my fingers. Quick one-pass shave before heading to airport.

Can't wait till tomorrow and being able to do this properly ...

Brush: Index and Middle Finger
Soap/Cream: Euro Palmolive Shave Stick
Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
Post Shave: Aesop Moroccan Neroli Post-Shave Lotion

LOL - somehow my travel brush was not in my kit when I packed it :(

Managed to make a passable lather just using my fingers. Quick one-pass shave before heading to airport.

Can't wait till tomorrow and being able to do this properly ...
I don't know mate, forgetting brushes, cameras, etc. on your travels. Old age?

But the post-shave - the post-shave is truly amazing! I did not use any olive oil today - I wanted to evaluate the soap first, but then I forgot! Yes I forgot because I was in awe of my plumb, moist and silky smooth face - happy days!

I was just about to send you a PM to ask how you went with the MW soap. No need now :D

20151104_SOTDSDetInvert_zps1popmx82.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Lather: Mystic Waters The Brown Windsor
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel​

If I had to shave with this razor forever - I would be a very lucky man! It's been more than a month since my last shave with the Wolf, but everything worked like a charm!

I've been really excited to try Mystic Waters for some time now and the turtles finally delivered. The scent of the Brown Windsor is out of this world - here the description from their Website:

What can I say, Napoleon had apparently some good taste [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The slickness/glide of this stuff is truly amazing as well - even with the hard water here in Adelaide. I just couldn't get the cushion I was hoping for, but I think this is more due to my inexperience with this soap...still not a bad first effort:

20151104_PaladinChief_MWSDet_zpsxzwfbysk.jpg

But the post-shave - the post-shave is truly amazing! I did not use any olive oil today - I wanted to evaluate the soap first, but then I forgot! Yes I forgot because I was in awe of my plumb, moist and silky smooth face - happy days!
Keen to hear how it goes with a straight.

I don't know mate, forgetting brushes, cameras, etc. on your travels. Old age?

Did you say something? I can't hear you ?

[My kit is usually packed ready to go, I think last time it must have been still wet and I put out to dry when I got back to CBR - don't know why I didn't put it in the kit though!]

iFz2o19.jpg

Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Reef Point Soaps Dragon's Blood (sample thanks to @SydBJW)
Razor: Kukri No.130 13/16
After-shave: Old Spice (India)

Dragon's Blood is a great scent. IMO it pairs well with Old Spice. The Indian version of OS is sweeter to my nose. (A couple of dollars from an Indian grocer.)

Ea

If I had to shave with this razor forever - I would be a very lucky man! It's been more than a month since my last shave with the Wolf, but everything worked like a charm!

I've been really excited to try Mystic Waters for some time now and the turtles finally delivered. The scent of the Brown Windsor is out of this world - here the description from their Website:

What can I say, Napoleon had apparently some good taste :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The slickness/glide of this stuff is truly amazing as well - even with the hard water here in Adelaide. I just couldn't get the cushion I was hoping for, but I think this is more due to my inexperience with this soap...still not a bad first effort:

Early days yet , but could you rate the MW v Mike's

H

What can I say, Napoleon had apparently some good taste :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hey Alfredus, early days but how do you rate MW v Mike's?

Keen to hear how it goes with a straight.
I think what I had was perfect for a straight actually - like it a bit denser for DE's

I wonder if I should hone a straight for @alfredus for our Sunday meet up :)
No need my friend - why should I live dangerously :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Samples for the Adelaide meet-up already prepared ;)

A rare absence of a photo. The "test soap" under wraps perhaps?
And the brush seems to be obtainium :eek:

Ea

Early days yet , but could you rate the MW v Mike's
Really early days, but the post-shave - WOW! Will need at least 10 days, but I won't use anything else than MW and Mike's until I reach a conclusion :cool:

20151105_171605_zps3oktcktp.jpg

SOTD Thursday, October 5

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sensuous Sandlewood
Face lather
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE8, Bulldog handle
Blade: Astra Green Green SP (1)

Saga. Only had 1.5 hours sleep and got up at 4.00am to answer nature's call. My wife did not hear me get up but she certainly heard me try to put my head through the wall as I fainted. I had to crawl into the bedroom and lay on the floor trying not to throw up for the next hour. When work time came I struggled to my feet, looked in the mirror and decided no straight is going near my throat this morning. Fainting again was a distinct possibility and with an open blade in my hand; ... ... ...

Settled for a 2 pass shave only with the DE and while good enough to pass in my customer facing role, it certainly wasn't up to the standard of the straight. This evening I still feel a great fogginess pressing into my head. Hoprfully tomorrow the straightd will be back in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.