Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold River Soap Works, Semogue, Feather, Captain's Choice

Lovely scent on the Bergamot and Bay... Will be hard to give it back to @Mark1966... It's sort of a subtle bay rum, very mellow and blended perfectly. No one note dominates, but rather there is a harmonious warmth to it. Delightful.

The performance on the CRSW is second to none. Seriously. It's on par with B&M tallow.

So a fantastic shave. No irritation whatsoever, and the B&B paired beautifully with the CC Lime.

The AS-D2 was, as usual, flawless. Worth every dollar.

Hadn't used the little Smoggie in ages. It's excellent and deserves more love on my rotation. I'm glad I reminded myself how much I like it.

Looks a great shave. This might be the bay rum I am looking for, every bay rum I have tried makes my wife gag when she smells them and my mission is to find one she likes :)

I have the same semougue and use it probably twice a week, it works great.

Kamisori Takemaru | Brush Omega S10108 | Soap Gent's V4 Original | Aftershave Myrsol Antesol

@bald as loaned my a folding Takemaru kamisori that he honed on the kiita kan today. What an absolutely stellar razor! Under the loupe the edge looked flawless and in the shave it cut like a laser. It's a supremely comfortable shaver. How much do you want for it Steve? The only thing going against it is that it is in scales. If I could find a normal kamisori with a blade of that quality I would be in heaven.

I also got to try out my new soap which I liked very much. The 2.4 g of EO seemed just right once on the face.

But it was all about that razor...

Saturday evening
Razor: Merkur 38c
Blade: Personna Labs (1)
Cream: Nivea
Brush: Zenith Best Badger
A/S: Pitralon
ASB: Gaia Organic ASB
Ah! The 'ole Merkur Barberpole. [emoji106] Nice to see it out and about.

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian
Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Agrume
Aftershave: Captain's Choice North

I recently received Sapone Di Paolo Agrume and decided to give it a go today. My initial thoughts are very positive. The performance seems very good but as I have only used it once I doubt I have it dialed in yet. With that said, it did lather easily and left my face feeling healthy. The scent is a natural lime with a tiny hint of basil and probably some other things that I can't pick out yet. Overall a fairly subtle scent but quite peasant.

fRphWjm.jpg

Looks a great shave. This might be the bay rum I am looking for, every bay rum I have tried makes my wife gag when she smells them and my mission is to find one she likes :)
CC Limes ?
If yes, I've some you can sniff/I could loan/provide a sample from next time we meet.
Just remind me.

CC Limes ?
If yes, I've some you can sniff/I could loan/provide a sample from next time we meet.
Just remind me.

I was thinking the CRSW soap that was used in @MrT shave might be the bay rum soap I am after.

You did bring a CC scent over last time @borked and I am sure whilst I liked it a lot SHMBO had her usual reaction to Bay Rum
scents

Reactions: MrT
I was thinking the CRSW soap that was used in @MrT shave might be the bay rum soap I am after.

You did bring a CC scent over last time @borked and I am sure whilst I liked it a lot SHMBO had her usual reaction to Bay Rum
scents

Yep. It may just be her thing.

But it's probably not technically a bay rum, seeing as it doesn't have rum... but seeing as it has citrus and bay, it's in the same ball park. It certainly is a delightful warm scent. Quite complex and balanced.

20151108_085939 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Gillette OC(Coutesy @Draco Noir )
Blade Polsilver SI
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Mystic Water Viola Di Bosco( courtesy @Draco Noir )
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX Balm
Three pass shave. First use of this razor and found it to be very efficicent. Two passes was enough but I went for a third anyway. First use of this soap and it was wonderful. @Draco Noir had provided a sample which I pressed some of into my bowl and bloomed for 10 minutes. Lathered with the Semogue and it was easy. Started with little water and just added as I needed it. Beautiful thick lather with a nice sheen and held together through the entire three pass shave. Left the face feeling so soft and smooth. The picture is after the shave.
20151108_090808 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

20151108_130828_zpspvtfnjo6.jpg

SOTD Sunday, November 8

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloomwater
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Vetiver & Neroli
Brush: Edwin Jagger Badger
Face lather
Razor: Gold Monkey 6/8

Tired this morning. I had to wait up last night waiting for my wife at a girl's party. Not a movie watcher but as I stayed up, I checked the TV guide for a sports offering. "True Grit" was on, not the original with John Wayne (the man is a legend) but a more recent offering starring Jeff Bridges. Quality Western which had me salivating at the thought of this morning's Western style straight shave (got to the shave eventually).

Vetiver & Neroli is a good scent, with base earthy notes slightly dominating the sweeter, though not sickly scent of orange . If your nose finds straight vetiver too overpowering, this blend matches the two opposing scents well, those rich, deep earth/vegetation notes through the filter of neroli.

@Mark has honed the Gold Monkey (and the kami I have also) into a very sharp & efficient razor. Again provided a close 3 pass shave with no nicks.

20151108_SOTDSSepia_zpscaztvgg9.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Lather: Mystic Waters Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, Draco Noir Neroli & Bergamot Argan Oil (Oil made and kindly donated by @Draco Noir)​

Another wonderful shave today - many thanks to @Nightguard for this absolutely brilliant brush (officially the biggest in the den now) and to @Draco Noir for the absolutely brilliant oil!

Mystic Waters is just getting better and better - today's lather was almost easy and the performance is out of this world - ~11 hours after the shave and my face is still in heaven...

Kamisori Takemaru | Brush Omega S10108 | Soap Gent's V4β Original | Aftershave Truefitt & Hill 1805

I had my first shave with my V4β soap tonight (the same soap as the V4 but stronger scented and a different EO ratio). There are two problems with the scent in my opinion: a) the ylang ylang note is far too prominent so the overall scent is far too sweet, and b) the total scent potency is too great. The V4 soap has 2.4 g EO per 180 g of soap whereas the V4β soap is 4 g per 180 g. Somewhere closer to 2.4 g is where it should be.

I only realised just how soft a pure KOH soap is when I scooped out a sample for the guys at our 35 degrees in the shade meet up today.

Those that I gave the soap to, please let us know how you get on with it. I need honest appraisals too. It's all fair game of course - lather, glide, post-shave, scent, etc.

“ I don’t even know what I’m doing…”
...because I don’t even know what I’m doing…

Razor | ‘Kinmoji’ Kamisori | Soap | I’m not sure, it’s from khun_diddy, it’s excellent | Brush | Windsor Badger | After Shave | Myrosol Aqua de Limón​

Very first shave with a kamisori, and it all felt very odd. It was at the shaving stand in the bedroom which always makes things a little different (light, angles in a different mirror). I think I had the angle of the razor wrong, at first it sort of ‘sucked’ on to my face; making me think the lather was too gluggy but the lather was fine; I think it was due to the profile. I changed the angle and it went pretty well but there was some tugging. I swapped to my Klas Törnblom Swedish frame back to work out if it was the razor (or the way I was using it) or the lather. The Törnblom glided through the whiskers fine.

Working on the left side with my right hand took some thinking. I was only able to do the L side of my neck with a S to N motion, I couldn’t work out how to do it otherwise.

I need some more time to work with this razor and work out the angles to use it at. My first thought was ‘I can’t be bothered’ but now I want to persevere; firstly because it was a gift and secondly because I should try harder. It may need a touch-up on the Shapton 16k; it’s not really passing the TPT for me :)

The soap was great, a very beautiful lather; I’d definitely purchase a batch if it’s for sale.

An interesting shave to top off an interesting chat over coffee that ranged over many subjects; all of them stimulating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.