Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That's one handsome brush, @alfredus Congrats on acquiring such an epic and iconic Simpson.

The shave wasn't that half bad either ;)
It kinda dominates the picture doesn't it? I guess that's the Chubby for you- "Look at me fellas! Feast your face on this..."

It kinda dominates the picture doesn't it? I guess that's the Chubby for you- "Look at me fellas! Feast your face on this..."

I actually did this on purpose since it was my first shave with it...had to dominate the picture as it kind of dominated the shave (together with the beautiful lather it produced).

It's actually not that big - for me anyway. The Chubby 1 is definitely too small for me and I guess I like large brushes....

Sunday 8 November 2015

218037d1446985276-sun-november-08st-sat-november-14th-sotd-08112015.jpg

What a Luxury Shave!

A luxury shave! My pre-shave oil, my almond shaving soap, not to mention this Mastro Livi RWL34 razor and, to put the icing on the top of cake, Floïd the genuine, to me, the very best aftershave. Floïd has a special and refreshing touch, it cools your face like no other, giving a super smooth and velvety sensation on your skin. Not to mention its fragrance, something recalling to my memory when I was a kid and was going to the barber for a hair cut. This fragrance can still be smelt in some "old fashioned" barber shops here in Italy. The more I use my shaving soap, the more I love it and the more I think it is a magnificent shaving soap. I compared it "one to one" to many top notch shaving soaps and, in my opinion, mine is nothing less and in many cases it is even superior to most of them, from lathering to post shave. What else can I say about my Mastro Livi RWL34 straight razor? A superb and extraordinary shaver, a top notch performing razor giving a superior and impeccable shave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 89
  • Bowl: Bamboo Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Yep. It may just be her thing.

But it's probably not technically a bay rum, seeing as it doesn't have rum... but seeing as it has citrus and bay, it's in the same ball park. It certainly is a delightful warm scent. Quite complex and balanced.

It may be what I am after I will have to try it one day.

20151109_065451_zps1awxgk07.jpg

SHOTD Monday, November 9

Cold water shave
Preshve: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Vetiver & Neroli
Brush: Simpson Berkerley badger
Face lather
Razor: George Butler straight 6/8

Good soap + good brush + great blade = superb start to a new week. Throw down 2 x short blacks very soon and off to work.

Gotta love wet shaving.

20151109_082604 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Gillette OC
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Mystic Water and Geo Trumpers Limes
Post Shave: Proraso Green AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. Still had a little of the Mystic Water in the bowl so lathered it up with the Trumpers Limes and four drops of glycerin(thanks again @Draco Noir ) to produce a thick creamy uber lather. Great fun.

Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Pre-Shave: Proraso (Or like my father would say ''Poracio''¿ Don't ask) Sandalwood Pre-Shave Cream
Cream: Yardley Gold
Aftershave: Nivea Original Aftershave Lotion

Classic 3-Pass shave + touch up, BSS result, a bit of irritation but acceptable for such close shave.

UfTJT31.jpg

Monday Shave with samples

Brush:
Simpson Duke 3
Soap: Mystic Water Tea Tree & Blue Gum (thanks @alfredus )
Razor: Weber PH​
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Post Shave: Thayers Witch Hazel & Captains Choice North​

* Mystic Water soap containing typical Australian essential oils of Tea Tree and Blue Gum. Lathered up a storm. The scent was quite muted and the tingling expected from the tea tree did not materialise. Unexpectedly nicked myself twice and I put this down to the previous weeks of using a much lighter and milder Schick Injector.

ojLGb61.jpg

Super Spring shave!

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: Barrister & Mann Adagio
Razor: GEM Micromatic "Bullet tip" Single Edge razor
Blade: GEM Personna [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Many thanks to @SydBJW for the Adagio soap! I love the floral-grassy scent with a touch of menthol. It pairs lovely with the Myrsol Formula C which smells of violets. I love my Bay Rum but equally happy with the florals down the other end of the spectrum! Violets is a classic men's shaving scent and I just dig it.

Edit: typo

ojLGb61.jpg

Super Spring shave!

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: Barrister & Mann Adagio
Razor: GEM Micromatic "Bullet tip" Single Edge razor
Blade: GEM Personna [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Many thanks to @SydBJW for the Adagio soap! I love the floral-grassy scent with a touch of menthol. It pairs lovely with the Myrsol Formula C which smells of violets. I love my Bay Rum but equally happy with the florals down the other end of the spectrum! Violets is a classic men's shaving scent and I just dig it.

Edit: typo

Glad you enjoyed the soap, not quiet my think but I am happy you liked it.

Seriously - what is going on around this place?

Gone are the days of @Drubbing buying stuff once a year to refill, @gthomas04 picking up cheap razors and other bargains and everybody agreeing that I was the resident nut-case who had spent WAY too much on shaving gear.

Now we have honemeisters, 'kami' users, frameback photos, soap makers and all sorts of weirdos - and you cannot even venture into the SOTD thread without being confronted with some artsy farsty photo from people who shave in gardens, under gums trees or by bloody candlelight.

What is the world coming too ...

Razor | Wade and Butcher 4/8 'Special', Canadian Maple Scales | Soap | Mystic Waters | Brush | Omega Badger | After Shave | Col. Conk Amber​

Hmmm. Well. The soap just sort of disappeared from my face! Sometimes that happens to me with some soaps, it just dissipates. Not sure why. Maybe because of my extremely oily skin? Anyway, thus far to be honest I don’t like this soap. Loved using the W&B today. This razor is as smooth as butter…

Kamisori Takemaru | Brush Omega S10108 | Soap Gent's V4 Original | Aftershave Myrsol Antesol

@bald as loaned my a folding Takemaru kamisori that he honed on the kiita kan today. What an absolutely stellar razor! Under the loupe the edge looked flawless and in the shave it cut like a laser. It's a supremely comfortable shaver. How much do you want for it Steve? The only thing going against it is that it is in scales. If I could find a normal kamisori with a blade of that quality I would be in heaven.

@khun_diddy - this may give you some food for thought. I have a number of these Japanese "kamisoris in scales" and they aren't really kamisoris at all. A kosher kamisori is truly asymmetrical : both sides of the blade are ground to a different geometry. If you look at the razor you used "nose on" you'll see that in fact the grind is symmetrical - they have just knocked the shoulder off the spine on one side. Try covering just the top bit of the blade and you'll see what I mean.

The nett effect of what has been done to the blade is to slightly change the relationship of the honed bevel on each side of the blade, so that one side is a little more dominant. The geometry is laborious to try and describe in words alone, but you can see that the spine to cutting edge distance is shorter on the side that has the shoulder knocked off. So you end up with a symmetrically ground blade that has a slightly asymmetrical cutting edge.

This technique is used by some really high quality makers of Japanese chefs knives, and keeping the 70/30 bevel ratio is quite a challenge when sharpening a long knife freehand, but the cutting performance is stellar. Fortunately ther razors are a lot easier to sharpen since it isn't necessary to freehand it - the spine always contacts the hone.

So the bottom line is that the most similar thing you are likely to find without scales is a western style kamisori, which is symmetrically ground. The only Japanese kamisori I know of with a symmetrical grind is a Hoshi Tombo, and unicorn droppings would almost certainly be easier to find. You will however easily find some fantastic Japanese razors made to the same design philosophy as the Takemaru you liked so much. If you want some specific suggestions, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.