Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamisori Takemaru | Brush Omega S10108 | Soap Gent's V4 Original | Aftershave Myrsol F/Extra

First up a shoutout to @Draco Noir for pointing out the strange geometry of the Takemaru. You are absolutely right and it's something I never would have noticed had I not been told. Looking at it now, it's obvious as the bevel near the edge is prominent on both sides of the kami. What a razor. The stuff of dreams. The aftershave went on with not even a hint of a tingle.

Also a shoutout to @razorguy for educating me about palm stropping. I did it in tonight's shave between passes and it was fantastic. It's part of the set up from now on.

Also a shoutout to @razorguy for educating me about palm stropping. I did it in tonight's shave between passes and it was fantastic. It's part of the set up from now on.

Just wow! I am honored to know hand palm stropping in making converts! :) I guess you saw that in one of my "Mastro Livi School" videos in which barber Luigi Migni is doing that.
To me it is a fundamental technique in order to get the best edge. It is easy, cheap and works wonders!(y)(y)(y)

Razor - Merkur 34c HD
Brush - Omega Synthetic
Blade - Voshkod
Soap - Shaver Heaven Movember
After Shave - Proraso After Shave lotion

Sounds great, did you like the Shaver Heaven Movember? Mine arrived yesterday, I love the scent out of the jar.

20151110_065349_zpsnqm7upex.jpg

SHOTS Tuesday, November 10

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Vetiver & Neroli
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Stainless Steel 5/8

Effective Soap, sharp straight, smooth & close shave. Wet shaving is an enjoyable, "man cave" start to each day.

Brush - Semogue LE Mistura (Badger/Boar mix) @borked (y)
Soap - Mystic Water Coconut Lime Verbena (thank you @Draco Noir for the sample)
Razor - Weber PH
Blade - Med Prep
After Shave - Thayers Witch Hazel and Fine L'Orange Noir

A fruity citrus theme this morning.

The scent of this Mystic Water soap is absolutely divine however I paid the price for rushing it and skimping. The first pass was okay but the subsequent one resulted in a dry and airy lather. Despite my average effort with the soap and brush things turned out well enough.

Fine L'Orange Noir aftershave is superb! Can't get enough of that juice.

Razor: E1 Fatboy @ 6
Blade: Gillette Super Silver, c90's-00's (7)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven mo'vember - thanks @Anthony

Blade is on it's last legs, but it only had 24 hours of growth to deal with.

The mo'vember soap is outstanding, while it still has some reminders of Arko in a much more refined way, once the water hit it everything came out in a harmony of scent. Lathers like a demon also. Crazy that we have something this good available locally and on my doorstep in 3 working days.

20151110_zpsssantbez.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Vie Long Epsilon Horsehair
Soap : Mike's Lime
Razor : Kamisori - Katanaya Tamahagane
After Shave : Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : Alvarez Gomez EDT

Today's shave is dedicated to @Mark1966 :
  • Honemeister accessories - Check (y)
  • Kamisori - Check (y)
  • Artsy fartsy photo - Check (y)
  • Bloody candlelight - Check (y)
And as a side note - it was a lovely shave! The Epsilon made easy work of producing a near perfect lather from the Mike's Lime, and the Kami was brilliant, as you'd expect from a razor made from samurai sword steel (Tamahagane). The Alvarez Gomez EDT has a really super fresh, citrusy, Summery fragrance and is very affordable from our friends at Gifts and Care.

You, @Draco Noir, are an almost complete bastard - Check (y)

(and I am a little disappointed that everything is not quite aligned to the creases in the red fabric. Not 'zen' enough for me)

Last edited:
20151110_SOTDSBW_zps8s6ppxo5.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-band
Lather: Mystic Waters Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Absolutely perfect shave in every way - really can't add much more to that...

Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

so

,Alfredus, Mike's on shakey ground

"Not there yet but getting there"...

Razor | Kamisori | Pre | Proraso Pre/post | Cream | Wahl Traditional Barbers' | After Shave | Wahl Traditional Barbers' Bay Rum​

I had some time tonight so decided to hone the new kamisori. I'd already shaved this morning with the Burrell Top Flight straight razor and didn't really need a shave but couldn't resist finding out how my honing had worked out. Did sets of 6 up 1 back after flipping on the 6th. Did 3 sets on the 4k, 6 on the 8k and 7 on the 16k.

Finally worked out how to hold the thing and got the angles worked out. It's still difficult to do the LH side of my face and neck, quite different from using a straight razor where I can swap hands and flip the razor.

I reckon after maybe 20 sets on the 16k it'll be ready.

Kamisori Takemaru | Brush Omega S10108 | Soap Mystic Waters Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper | Aftershave Myrsol Metilsol

Thanks @alfredus for the sample, it's a great soap with a superb post-shave. I was also very fond of the scent. Those three ingredients are present in my Original formulation but mine is too sweet at present and I think I need to up the juniper.

Mon/Tues
Pre-shave:
Cetaphil Cleansing Bar
Oil: King of Shaves pre-shave oil
Razor: Merkur 39C Slant
Blade: Polsilver SI (2/3)
Soap: DA FAT & Shaver Heaven Hot Buttered Rum
Brush: Semogue 1800 & Mens Biz Super Badger
Post-shave: Alum & Speick

So I skipped last Friday as had some ongoing irritation from ingrowns on my lower neck. Left it to grow out and heal over the weekend, accepting the fact that ATG passes on that part are going to be impossible. Will be trying double WTG or WTG/XTG over the next few weeks.

Had a good couple of days with the 39C. Really loving this one now that I have the angle down. First go of the Fat on Monday and gotta say, I think I need to do some hand practice lathers. Cushion was great, consistency was fantastic, post feel was incredible, but think I need to work on the water balance for slickness. Today I went with the SH because you just can't get it wrong.

Went to check something on Westcoast Shaving and for some reason, they have given me free shipping as an bonus in my cart that was loaded. ummm... trying to resist urge to buy...

You, @Draco Noir, are an almost complete bastard - Check (y)

(and I am a little disappointed that everything is not quite aligned to the creases in the red fabric. Not 'zen' enough for me)
That's deliberate, to upset your OCD tendencies ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.