Oh; OK then

SOTD Thursday, November 12

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Dragon Noir
Brush: Simpson Berkeley Badger
Face lather
Razor: Gold Monkey 6/8

Dragon Noir has a complex scent with a couple of aromas struggling to come out on top but none dominating. A sweet smell similar to Speed Mahogany with an "earthy" type scent. Great scent.

Razor is sharp and smooth. Another top 3 pass shave.

@Korbz did you try rinsing your face between pre-shaves and shave soap ?

Current routine is
  • bloom soap & soak brush pre-shower
  • Wash face with cetaphil in shower
  • hand wipe face to remove excess water and apply shave oil to lower neck/bloom water to face
  • I've been going between bowl and face lathering. Thinking I'll stick to bowl whilst I learn a few soaps that I will stick with then maybe go back to face. (also thinking about trying a WD synthetic 24mm for Chrissy)
Any suggestions for different things to try? Had a one shave pass this morning, as I didn't want to irritate too much. Used the fat soap and got a nice lather going. Still didn't have the slickness of Shaver Heaven stuff which I keep going back to as the benchmark so far.

I've got a cart loaded at Westcoast with soaps to take advantage of the free shipping, B&M Seville, Reef Point Aviator, Mickylee Drunken Goat, Caties Bubbles LPV, Stirling Sharp Dressed. Happy to take thoughts suggestions on these as well :)

20151112_zpsd4tc2u0g.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliating Pre-shave Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Muhle Synthetic Dark Bristle (v2)
Soap : Savonniere du Moulin Donkeys Milk Soap
Razor : Zubari Hoshimasa #1
After Shave : Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : Speick EDT

A solid and enjoyable shave. The O Melhor exfoliating soap does its job really well - gets in there and cleans and degreases ready for the Myrsol. I must admit, Myrsol Emulsion would definitely be part of my desert island shaving kit : the best pre-shave I have tried, and a totally reliable and effective part of the routine. Both @Lifes a Peach and I have praised the Savonniere du Moulin donkeys milk shave soap before. It's still a brilliant soap, and the Muhle synthetic easily gets the best out of it.

The Zubari Hoshimasa #1 razor is one of the semi-kamisori design that @khun_diddy has recently come to like so much. It's easy to see why - the difference between this and a western razor seems rather subtle until you shave with it. I still marvel at how Japanese concepts of sharp edges have evolved separately from the West, and the benefits that their various asymmmetrical approaches bring.

Finished with 3-4 drops of Argan oil gently massaged into the face, then spray or two of Speick EDT set me up for the day.

I've got a cart loaded at Westcoast with soaps to take advantage of the free shipping, B&M Seville, Reef Point Aviator, Mickylee Drunken Goat, Caties Bubbles LPV, Stirling Sharp Dressed. Happy to take thoughts suggestions on these as well :)

&Korbz - if they'll send it to you (some do, some don't) strongly recommend you get the Stirling Sharp Dressed aftershave splash to go with the soap. It's really nice to have that continuity of fragrance, and a fantastic fragrance it is. Also commend Stirling's Ozark Mountain soap - it has a really nice soft pine forest kind of scent (y)

20151111_220803 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Brush: Semogue 1305
Blade: Rapira platinum lux
Soap: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary
Post Shave: Loccitane Balm and Pinaud Clubman
Three pass shave with no irritation . This soap provides all the necessary protection to allow a beautiful shave. Love the scent as well.

Is the teapot part the honemeister accessories? And, isn't there a more Japanezee word for that rather vulgar German one? If not shouldn't you have a huge mug of foaming lager instead?

No @Pjotr, the teapot was to help tick the "artsy fartsy photo" box. Honemeister was the expression @Mark1966 used in his mock tirade, so I kept it the same. I agree with you actually : there must be a more aesthetically pleasing Japanese term for honemeister - perhaps @StueyB can help us out with that one...

Current routine is
  • hand wipe face to remove excess water and apply shave oil to lower neck/bloom water to face
  • I've been going between bowl and face lathering. Thinking I'll stick to bowl whilst I learn a few soaps that I will stick with then maybe go back to face. (also thinking about trying a WD synthetic 24mm for Chrissy)
Any suggestions for different things to try? Had a one shave pass this morning, as I didn't want to irritate too much. Used the fat soap and got a nice lather going. Still didn't have the slickness of Shaver Heaven stuff which I keep going back to as the benchmark so far.

If they have reef point submariner or dragons blood you could not go wrong with either of them :)

20151112_SOTDSGraphBoost_zps6bnz0kfh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Lather: Mystic Waters Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

I don't have the energy for poor shaves at the moment - the setup just works a treat and I have a very hard time choosing different products...

Brush: Semogue 1800
Razor: Gillette 58
Blade: English Wilky
Cream: Arko Extra Fresh
A/S: Arko Ice Mint
Very nice performance from both the Arko cream and A/S, although neither of them is especially mentholated, I get more of a menthol sting from Ingrams. The scent is a very generic modern cologne type scent.

I will start this post with "NEVER AGAIN". For the last 3 - 4 months I have battled bumps and minor skin irritation from I believe delicate skin caused by medication, primarily blood thinners. To be kind to myself I decided to shave with an electric razor for just one shave to give my face a minor reprieve from a wet shave. The next morning I woke up with a face that looked like I had slept face down in a fire ant nest. I gave it a rest for a couple of days again but I have an appointment tomorrow morning so had to remove 2 growth sitting over a vicious looking bumpy skin. What better way to test accuracy and hand control than by using a 5/8" straight razor. It was a bit like shaving the rough at the local golf course but not a single knick or cut and the face feels fine. Looks like a -- well no need to go there. Straight shaving is so nice.

Honemeister was the expression @Mark1966 used in his mock tirade, so I kept it the same. I agree with you actually : there must be a more aesthetically pleasing Japanese term for honemeister - perhaps @StueyB can help us out with that one...

Oddly enough the Japanese term is 研ぎ師 pronounced to-gi-shi (to is pronounced as the English word 'toe' not the English word 'to') and is translates as sharpening or polishing master.
It is traditionally used for the honing of swords or the polishing of mirrors - back in the day when mirrors were made from metal rather than glass.
SWMBO says that most Japanese would think if someone that sharpens samurai swords (katana) rather than knives or kamisori.

I must try Myrsol stuff one day.

What do you think of Myrsol after your introduction ?
You are right about it smelling great.

I will start this post with "NEVER AGAIN". For the last 3 - 4 months I have battled bumps and minor skin irritation from I believe delicate skin caused by medication, primarily blood thinners. To be kind to myself I decided to shave with an electric razor for just one shave to give my face a minor reprieve from a wet shave. The next morning I woke up with a face that looked like I had slept face down in a fire ant nest. I gave it a rest for a couple of days again but I have an appointment tomorrow morning so had to remove 2 growth sitting over a vicious looking bumpy skin. What better way to test accuracy and hand control than by using a 5/8" straight razor. It was a bit like shaving the rough at the local golf course but not a single knick or cut and the face feels fine. Looks like a -- well no need to go there. Straight shaving is so nice.
Just be glad you didn't use PAA - Strewth as well, face yould look like a pizza and feel like one that's just came out of an industrial grill/oven.

Current routine is

Experiment, change one thing every few days and see if there are noticable changes.
Also, grab as Haslinger Sheep Milk soap B&M after shaves and colognes and Alt Innsbruck, if they will ship them :)

Razor: Ikon 102
Brush: Chubby
Blade: Voskhod
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Tabac

One of my most satisfying shaves to date, last night.
I've had a few mysterious subpar lathers with the Tabac the last few times so i decided to put a bit more work into scratching up the surface of the puck and loading the brush. Worked a treat and up it came in all it's glory, finding itself back in the regular rotation drawer. Now i remember why it is one of my all time favourites. Delicious! Classic!
My second shave with the ikon and it seemed to pair perfectly with the Voskhod, effortlessly wiping away 2 or 3 days growth. I've never bothered looking for BBS and all that BS but i suppose that is what was achieved with 2 efficient passes. As close to the perfect shave as i have had, this razor and blade will be a regular combo.
After countless combinations and a lot of time i've found a handful of combinations that marry together perfectly (for me) and that is satisfying. Not many vintage razors are making the cut, which i've found interesting as these have consumed most of my time.

Basking in the afterglow of the shave the only way to finish it was with healthy splash of Tabac. A good ol' Tabac-attack before bed. I think the fumes may have helped my fall asleep btw but the problem was my face was so smooth it kept sliding off the pillow hahaha

@boldsworth all too happy to purchase some Voskhod's for trade for selected vintage blades that failed to make the cut :)

img_1994.jpg

3P preshave
Stirling Kong
Sweet Comb Chicago Shaving Soap
Standard Razor
English Wilky (1)
Floid Blue

First try of this soap. Some very natural skin friendly ingredients and a good lather after letting it soak while I showered. A light natural scent. Great close shave with the standard and Wilky combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.