20151113_064459_zpsj9z0gfi1.jpg

SOTD Friday, November 13

Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloomwater
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Drogon Noir
Brush: Edwin Jagger Badger
Face lather
Razor: George Butler, ART 6/8

Dragon Noir is a good scent but today's shave is all about the blade. The George Butler is an absolute beast, sharp and a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
20151112_223530 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose handle
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Proraso Green AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. This is a very good performing soap with a scent that is pleasant but weak. No nicks or cuts or irritation and a good result. Looking forward to a Spanish lunch.

What do you think of Myrsol after your introduction ?
You are right about it smelling great.

I liked the various Myrsol I smelt last night and I can see myself purchasing some in the future, the list never stops :)

I really don't want to get into fragrances because they are mega expensive.

Oddly enough the Japanese term is 研ぎ師 pronounced to-gi-shi (to is pronounced as the English word 'toe' not the English word 'to') and is translates as sharpening or polishing master.
It is traditionally used for the honing of swords or the polishing of mirrors - back in the day when mirrors were made from metal rather than glass.
SWMBO says that most Japanese would think if someone that sharpens samurai swords (katana) rather than knives or kamisori.

tameshigiri_zpspmllwm9e.gif

Thank you very much @StueyB - your contributions towards demystifying some of the Japanese terms we encounter are really appreciated! :)(y):)

Today I went to the hospital to shave my 89yo grandfather (don't worry, he's alright, I didn't cut him!). I started with my Proraso Sandalwood pre-shave cream, than used his Proraso Green and finished with my father's Nivea Original Sensitive AF balm (the whole familly lol). I was half done with the shave when a group of young and pretty nurses passed by the room, I heard ''what is this scent? It smells nice'than a second nurse said ''Oh that's shaving cream! Humm'':cool:

20151113_zpsbeof8bsc.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac Silvertip Custom
Soap : Mondial Mandarino Espezie
Razor : Henckels Friodur Inox 250
After Shave : Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : Musgo Real Orange & Amber

The razor was the star of the show today. I acquired it recently, complete with the standard factory non-edge. After devoting part of a leisurely Sunday afternoon to setting a bevel and honing it to Hanging Hair Test sharpness, it's been waiting its turn in the rotation. I lathered up with the delicious smelling Mondial soap and got to it.

First thing I noticed was the audible feedback - wow, it sounded like one of those trees riddled with cicadas on a summer night. I like that in any kind of razor, DE or straight. Then the awareness that the razor was almost "alive" in my hand - there's no doubt about a really good full hollow ground razor : so responsive and so much feedback. And the sharpness and smoothness of shave were just top shelf. There wasn't even a hint of sticking or stalling on XTG or ATG passes, just smooth loud whisker removal.

I was almost disappointed when the shaving was done - I guess I could have done one more pass simply because I could, but it was totally unnecessary. A very smooth and pleasing result. I tried a quick pass of the alum block and didn't even get a tingle from it, so finished off with the Argan oil I'm enjoying so much and later a nice splash of the Musgo Real.

Tapas lunch with the P&C guys today - really looking forward to it :)

Current routine is
  • bloom soap & soak brush pre-shower
  • Wash face with cetaphil in shower
  • hand wipe face to remove excess water and apply shave oil to lower neck/bloom water to face
  • I've been going between bowl and face lathering. Thinking I'll stick to bowl whilst I learn a few soaps that I will stick with then maybe go back to face. (also thinking about trying a WD synthetic 24mm for Chrissy)
Any suggestions for different things to try? Had a one shave pass this morning, as I didn't want to irritate too much. Used the fat soap and got a nice lather going. Still didn't have the slickness of Shaver Heaven stuff which I keep going back to as the benchmark so far.

I've got a cart loaded at Westcoast with soaps to take advantage of the free shipping, B&M Seville, Reef Point Aviator, Mickylee Drunken Goat, Caties Bubbles LPV, Stirling Sharp Dressed. Happy to take thoughts suggestions on these as well :)

It all seems a bit elaborate to me (Bloom water to face....really? That's got B&B sad written all over it) but if you're happy with the routine, why not. My advice is not to change anything until your technique is locked and loaded. You'll find that is the advise that the majority of longer term shavers will give to people just starting up. At the same time you'll find that it is generally totally ignored. The online lure of shopping carts is just too irresistible.

No @Pjotr, the teapot was to help tick the "artsy fartsy photo" box. Honemeister was the expression @Mark1966 used in his mock tirade, so I kept it the same. I agree with you actually : there must be a more aesthetically pleasing Japanese term for honemeister - perhaps @StueyB can help us out with that one...

Formerly is was @gthomas04 and myself who were "the muppet show old boys on the balcony" but based on that tirade I think we can dispense with convention and invite @Mark1966 to the balcony..

Oddly enough the Japanese term is 研ぎ師 pronounced to-gi-shi (to is pronounced as the English word 'toe' not the English word 'to') and is translates as sharpening or polishing master.
It is traditionally used for the honing of swords or the polishing of mirrors - back in the day when mirrors were made from metal rather than glass.
SWMBO says that most Japanese would think if someone that sharpens samurai swords (katana) rather than knives or kamisori.

That's great. As I sharpen a lot of knives for my sons, I guess they can call me to-gi-shi, in the vain hope they'll treat me with some respect.

While I'm on a language tirade, I propose we remove SWMBO from the P&C lexicon and if you must, substitute it with HI (her indoors). SWMBO is a B&B thing and, if you ask me, is a bit dumb and awkward to type (this is actually the first time I've ever done that). Her Indoors has a firm East End heritage but hasn't the same mock or patronising subservience (if that makes any sense) that is implied in SWMBO.

SWMBO conveys so much of this PC c**p and the neutering of most men seeking permission from the fiery little or not so little dragon in the corner. Oh I can't do this cause the "little lady" won't like it or "won't approve of that".
So sad. Just communicate and grow a p**r.

Any room on the balcony?

img_1994.jpg

3P preshave
Stirling Kong
Sweet Comb Chicago Shaving Soap
Standard Razor
English Wilky (1)
Floid Blue

First try of this soap. Some very natural skin friendly ingredients and a good lather after letting it soak while I showered. A light natural scent. Great close shave with the standard and Wilky combo.

So you got the little monster as well @unobtainium81 - how do you rate it? Do you face lather?

Formerly is was @gthomas04 and myself who were "the muppet show old boys on the balcony" but based on that tirade I think we can dispense with convention and invite @Mark1966 to the balcony..

That's great. As I sharpen a lot of knives for my sons, I guess they can call me to-gi-shi, in the vain hope they'll treat me with some respect.

While I'm on a language tirade, I propose we remove SWMBO from the P&C lexicon and if you must, substitute it with HI (her indoors). SWMBO is a B&B thing and, if you ask me, is a bit dumb and awkward to type (this is actually the first time I've ever done that). Her Indoors has a firm East End heritage but hasn't the same mock or patronising subservience (if that makes any sense) that is implied in SWMBO.
Liked purely for the suggestion of replacing SWMBO with HI.

@boldsworth all too happy to purchase some Voskhod's for trade for selected vintage blades that failed to make the cut :)
@borked i was referring to the razors more so than the blades. I still havent tried any of my vintage blades. Are there any particular blades you are after? If i have any i'd be happy to send them on.

SWMBO conveys so much of this PC c**p and the neutering of most men seeking permission from the fiery little or not so little dragon in the corner. Oh I can't do this cause the "little lady" won't like it or "won't approve of that".
So sad. Just communicate and grow a p**r.

Any room on the balcony?

There is that of course but when it gets used I have images of gun running preacher men holding up a bible in one hand and pistol whipping their wife with the other.

There is that of course but when it gets used I have images of gun running preacher men holding up a bible in one hand and pistol whipping their wife with the other.
Certainly a vivid image but no doubt painted by media and imagination rather than personal experience. There are more "preachers" without guns than with them.
I certainly agree that certain acronyms are unhelpful and this would be one of them.

Certainly a vivid image but no doubt painted by media and imagination rather than personal experience.........

Yeah sure, it was a bit melodramatic. Maybe a bit Quentin Tarantinoish

...........There are more "preachers" without guns than with them.......

I'm sure that any preacher in the USA advocating gun control probably wouldn't have much of a congregation.

Status
Not open for further replies.