Shave of the Day - 2024

AKQZ2nl.jpeg

National 567 13/16 Half Hollow - Zenith Unbleached Boar - Stirling Varen - Pitralon Classic - Sukin Moisturiser

28/08/24 Wednesday Evening​
  • Razor Gillette Fat Handle Tech(British)​
  • Blade Vidyut Super-Max Platinum(India)
  • Pre-Shave Hot Shower
  • Brush B&B Synthetic
  • Soap Proraso E/M
  • Aftershave Proraso E/M
Great shave tonight from the Gillette fat handled tech the razor is circa 1940 and once widely available, it has more weight to it than the US fat handle tech.
Which gives the razor more balanced feel in the hand. (Gb 51g) (US 47g) with noticeable more head weight on my skin.
The super Max platinum blades purchased online about 15 years ago gave a good shave with little effort 1 pass WTG 1 ATG Finished.
I found the Proraso eucalyptus menthol soap left my skin feeling really refreshed.
I think the Proraso eucalyptus menthol Aftershave was a bit of an overkill.
As the feeling of freshness a bit long.
All I know its a great combination.

Cheers all.
IMG-8489.jpg

Great review, and a great photography

Pre-shave; Pears, transparent soap, face wash with warm water, rinse off.

Brush; TroyCraft, ‘’Gold n Jar’’ Jarrah hardwood with pure Gold flake resin handle, highly polished with a CA finish and a 26mm x TF 2 band Finest Badger knot. (Brush No 4)

Soap; Mitchell Wool Fat (Tallow)

Razor; Gillette, Aristocrat Gen 1 OC late 30’s (Set No 15) in Rhodium, original condition.

Blade; Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Saloon pack)

Post shave; Wahl, Traditional Bay Rum 75% / @SpeedyPC 25%, aftershave splash!! (Mixture)

Cologne;

Moisturiser;
“My Bay” 100mls Moroccan Argan oil, 5mls Vit E (Invite-E) and 5mls Bay Rum Essential oil.

Nice shave, bit of a brass smell from the doors, but I could see this old timer being part of a rotation and maybe even more. Smooth, nicer sensation on skin than my Fatboy or Slim (may be the Rhodium?) Certainly HAS potential, I think it'll compete with a LOT of moderns IMHO

Brush; TroyCraft, ‘’Gold n Jar’’ Jarrah hardwood with pure Gold flake resin handle, highly polished with a CA finish and a 26mm x TF 2 band Finest Badger knot. (Brush No 4)

Razor; Gillette, Aristocrat Gen 1 OC late 30’s (Set No 15) in Rhodium, original condition.

Post shave; Wahl, Traditional Bay Rum 75% / @SpeedyPC 25%, aftershave splash!! (Mixture)

Cologne;

Moisturiser;
“My Bay” 100mls Moroccan Argan oil, 5mls Vit E (Invite-E) and 5mls Bay Rum Essential oil.

Nice shave, bit of a brass smell from the doors, but I could see this old timer being part of a rotation and maybe even more. Smooth, nicer sensation on skin than my Fatboy or Slim (may be the Rhodium?) Certainly HAS potential, I think it'll compete with a LOT of moderns IMHO
And the brush
❤️

30 August (金曜日 かみそり - Kin'yōbi kamisori)
I have not shaved with my beloved kamisori for about three weeks while I made a timber case for it. Although I tried not to let the blade's edge touch anything while testing the razor in the case for proper fit, the edge just may have touched something. I decided to refresh the edge before next shaving with it. Before this morning's shave, this kamasori was refreshed on 3µm and 1µm lapping film followed by a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression. The end result was one of my must enjoyable shaves ever!

The Yamamasa kamisori with a sharp and pointy toe and edge finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa.
L0Il2pc.jpg

After many shaves with this kamisori, I have almost perfected the skill of shaving only with the omote side towards my skin. This has not been easy but it can be done.

I must thank @LesC for introducing me to this wonderful adventure into traditional kamisori shaving.

SOTD Friday 30 August
  • Razor Gillette British Rocket FlareTip
  • Blade Gillette Minora Stainless (12)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Soap Wilkinson Sword Black
  • Post Shave Thayers Witch Hazel - Unscented
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Gillette Minora Stainless blade was in my c1950’s Gillette British Rocket FlareTip today.

I collected a couple of very minor weepers from today’s shave. This blade has finally lost its edge. After 12 full head & face shaves the Gillette Minora will be swapped out.
Must be honest with the quality, this is a great daily shave blade, especially if travelling and not wanting to take an assortment.

This was part of a group participation shave; I do usually have a couple blades on the go at once to rotate.
Looking forward to next week’s choices. I have a few blades from a 20-sample pack.

mGIvNhvh.jpg

Soap: Squadron Empire
Brush: TF HMW
Razor: Atelier Vestige SS+++

Attended a funeral yesterday and the Ti Vestige was the perfect razor, low risk of blood but very efficient, with the Personna GEM this time instead of the black steel. Great shave.
Today I tried out the Stainless version with the +++ plate. The Ti has the ++ plate. The +++ plate is noticeably more aggressive but I didn't notice an improvement in efficiency so the net result was slightly less comfort but still a great shave. I'll try the + plate tomorrow but so far my money is on the ++ plate.
I don't own a Ti razor so the Ti Vestige felt a little strange in the hand due to the reduced weight combined with the satin finish. The SS version was more the weight and feel I'm used to but that's not what would stop me purchasing the Ti. I was delighted with the Ti Vestige as a whole but given the Ti head is an additional 110 Euro I would default to the SS.
My feeling is the threaded flat post doesn't receive the handle quite as readily as a Blackland Sabre but it is still adequately user friendly. I still can't fault this razor apart from it's butt ugly looks when the blade is loaded. :) But when you're shaving and getting premium comfort and efficiency........who cares?
Thanks @Errol , I'm really enjoying these razors.

SOTD Friday 30 August
  • Razor Gillette British Rocket FlareTip
  • Blade Gillette Minora Stainless (12)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Soap Wilkinson Sword Black
  • Post Shave Thayers Witch Hazel - Unscented
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Gillette Minora Stainless blade was in my c1950’s Gillette British Rocket FlareTip today.

I collected a couple of very minor weepers from today’s shave. This blade has finally lost its edge. After 12 full head & face shaves the Gillette Minora will be swapped out.
Must be honest with the quality, this is a great daily shave blade, especially if travelling and not wanting to take an assortment.

This was part of a group participation shave; I do usually have a couple blades on the go at once to rotate.
Looking forward to next week’s choices. I have a few blades from a 20-sample pack.

Vintage G's Rule!!

Cologne;

Moisturiser;

Nice razor and setup mate.
The old saying is never more true when talking about DE razors
"there is nothing new under the sun"
Cheers

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger 27/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Meißner Tremonia Lavender Deluxe (sample)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6S - R3 / Gillette Stainless Red #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Burberry Weekend for Men

Taking a long left eye recovery, still partly blind and not much used since I had a retina detachment.
Won't be moving into a retirement home until March next year (bummer) I was hoping soon, because, paperwork needed to be sorted out via solicitors, restate needed to be sorted on my unit and my super, etc etc etc.
I've got plenty of time to sort out my den soon to start selling off my wet shaving gear, sorry I can't tell you yet until it's available at the High Street section.

Last edited:
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Taking a long left eye recovery, still party blind and not much used since I had a retina detachment.
Won't be moving into a retirement home until March next year (bummer) I was hoping soon, because, paperwork needed to be sorted out via solicitors, restate needed to be sorted on my unit and my super, etc etc etc.
I've got plenty of time to sort out my den soon to start selling off my wet shaving gear, sorry I can't tell you yet until it's available at the High Street section.
I like others, thing of you Brother (y)

Taking a long left eye recovery, still party blind and not much used since I had a retina detachment.
Hi SpeedyPC
Great to see you back online, mate
Don’t go putting the broom in the cupboard yet
I can see you have so much support on paste & cut
Don’t give in brother

ZHG78lE.jpeg
Coming up to a year ago on a road trip home from FNQ I decided to stop in a township for a coffee and some early morning sunshine. Whilst sitting outside enjoying my long black I spied an interesting looking antique/collectable store on the other side of the street and a few doors down. Not being in a hurry I decided to wait for the 10am opening time to take a butchers inside and I am so glad I did. Nestling inside one of the many display cabinets I found this rather fine example of an Eclipse Red Ring. An easy Haggle and it was mine for a steel. Upon arrival home into the drawer with the other vintage razors it went and never shaved with until this morning. The razor was marketed as being adjustable with said adjustment coming from loosening the handle up to a quarter of a turn thereby increasing blade gap and efficiency. I explored this option before the shave and decided to use it with the handle fully tightened. What a great little razor, smooth and plenty efficient paired with a first use Nacet. I love my straights but there is a lot to be said for a rewarding shave with a vintage DE.