• Blade Gillette Minora Stainless (12)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Soap Wilkinson Sword Black
  • Post Shave Thayers Witch Hazel - Unscented
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Gillette Minora Stainless blade was in my c1950’s Gillette British Rocket FlareTip today.

I collected a couple of very minor weepers from today’s shave. This blade has finally lost its edge. After 12 full head & face shaves the Gillette Minora will be swapped out.
Must be honest with the quality, this is a great daily shave blade, especially if travelling and not wanting to take an assortment.

This was part of a group participation shave; I do usually have a couple blades on the go at once to rotate.
Looking forward to next week’s choices. I have a few blades from a 20-sample pack.
Great pic and post mate
Cheers

SOTD – Fri.30AUG2024

SOTD-20240830-setup.png

Just a shave with my current kill soap “Secret Source”, Australian made but forgot origin (I think a swap), makes a rich yogurt like dense slick lather though. Also using another beautiful TroyCraft brush that I’ve named “Blue Blood” from the Father’s Day specials, as usual the photo does not do it justice. A 3-pass shave with the Shield Ti AC & Feather Proguard blade, this time with a thicker ALU handle that gave me a better grip and feel with my shave, still semi-riding the cap and achieved a very nice close DFS with just one weeper and some minor irritations on the neck.

THE GEAR:
  • Pre Shave: Tri-Care Goats Milk & Glycerine Soap from ALDI [A]
  • Brush: TroyCraft “Blue Blood” with Yaqi 24/52 Tuxedo knot [A]
  • Soap: Secret Source - Lime, Peppermint, Spearmint & Orange(unknown origin) [A]
  • Bowl: Yaqi White Plastic “Duke”
  • Razor: Shield Ti AC2 & ALU handle (50gm with blade, blade gap of 1.15 and 0.12 exposure)
  • Blade: Feather AC Proguard, made in Japan (3)
  • Astringent: Jennai Body Care - Aloe Vera Gel with Witch Hazel & Vitamin E [A]
  • Balm: Secret Source - Lime, Peppermint, Spearmint & Orange (a little oily, no alcohol) [A]
  • After Shave: none
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Natural Full Cream - Hydrate [A]
[A] = Australian Product

SOTD – Fri.30AUG2024

SOTD-20240830-setup.png

Just a shave with my current kill soap “Secret Source”, Australian made but forgot origin (I think a swap), makes a rich yogurt like dense slick lather though. Also using another beautiful TroyCraft brush that I’ve named “Blue Blood” from the Father’s Day specials, as usual the photo does not do it justice. A 3-pass shave with the Shield Ti AC & Feather Proguard blade, this time with a thicker ALU handle that gave me a better grip and feel with my shave, still semi-riding the cap and achieved a very nice close DFS with just one weeper and some minor irritations on the neck.

THE GEAR:
  • Pre Shave: Tri-Care Goats Milk & Glycerine Soap from ALDI [A]
  • Brush: TroyCraft “Blue Blood” with Yaqi 24/52 Tuxedo knot [A]
  • Soap: Secret Source - Lime, Peppermint, Spearmint & Orange(unknown origin) [A]
  • Bowl: Yaqi White Plastic “Duke”
  • Razor: Shield Ti AC2 & ALU handle (50gm with blade, blade gap of 1.15 and 0.12 exposure)
  • Blade: Feather AC Proguard, made in Japan (3)
  • Astringent: Jennai Body Care - Aloe Vera Gel with Witch Hazel & Vitamin E [A]
  • Balm: Secret Source - Lime, Peppermint, Spearmint & Orange (a little oily, no alcohol) [A]
  • After Shave: none
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Natural Full Cream - Hydrate [A]
[A] = Australian Product
😂
You have saved my money.
This is the brush I was eyeballing for the last few days (to save on postage of course😂).

ZHG78lE.jpeg
Coming up to a year ago on a road trip home from FNQ I decided to stop in a township for a coffee and some early morning sunshine. Whilst sitting outside enjoying my long black I spied an interesting looking antique/collectable store on the other side of the street and a few doors down. Not being in a hurry I decided to wait for the 10am opening time to take a butchers inside and I am so glad I did. Nestling inside one of the many display cabinets I found this rather fine example of an Eclipse Red Ring. An easy Haggle and it was mine for a steel. Upon arrival home into the drawer with the other vintage razors it went and never shaved with until this morning. The razor was marketed as being adjustable with said adjustment coming from loosening the handle up to a quarter of a turn thereby increasing blade gap and efficiency. I explored this option before the shave and decided to use it with the handle fully tightened. What a great little razor, smooth and plenty efficient paired with a first use Nacet. I love my straights but there is a lot to be said for a rewarding shave with a vintage DE.
Wow, nice find. You don’t see as good as examples of the Red Ring like that everyday. I’ll have to pull mine out again now. I think from memory the Nacet is a good choice for the Red Ring. I find mine plenty efficient with the handle tightened. I don’t bother using it on any other setting.

Wow, nice find. You don’t see as good as examples of the Red Ring like that everyday. I’ll have to pull mine out again now. I think from memory the Nacet is a good choice for the Red Ring. I find mine plenty efficient with the handle tightened. I don’t bother using it on any other setting.
With using straights for a good while I just knew my DE technique would be off to the extent that I did not want to experiment, maybe next shave. Why not, let’s do the quarter turn……… stay tuned!

...Today I tried out the Stainless version with the +++ plate. The Ti has the ++ plate. The +++ plate is noticeably more aggressive but I didn't notice an improvement in efficiency so the net result was slightly less comfort but still a great shave. I'll try the + plate tomorrow but so far my money is on the ++ plate.
Interesting, that makes three concurring opinions re the Vestige +++ plate out of three that I've come across (including my own). It's pretty rare to find such unanimity in this world. In retrospect, I would have done well to save the money spent on the more aggressive plate, but now I know for sure. FWIW, I haven't experienced any issues with loading blades, I've found it to be identical to the Sabre in this respect.

ZHG78lE.jpeg
Coming up to a year ago on a road trip home from FNQ I decided to stop in a township for a coffee and some early morning sunshine. Whilst sitting outside enjoying my long black I spied an interesting looking antique/collectable store on the other side of the street and a few doors down. Not being in a hurry I decided to wait for the 10am opening time to take a butchers inside and I am so glad I did. Nestling inside one of the many display cabinets I found this rather fine example of an Eclipse Red Ring. An easy Haggle and it was mine for a steel. Upon arrival home into the drawer with the other vintage razors it went and never shaved with until this morning. The razor was marketed as being adjustable with said adjustment coming from loosening the handle up to a quarter of a turn thereby increasing blade gap and efficiency. I explored this option before the shave and decided to use it with the handle fully tightened. What a great little razor, smooth and plenty efficient paired with a first use Nacet. I love my straights but there is a lot to be said for a rewarding shave with a vintage DE.

Great story. I've never seen an Eclipse Red Ring.

Interesting, that makes three concurring opinions re the Vestige +++ plate out of three that I've come across (including my own). It's pretty rare to find such unanimity in this world. In retrospect, I would have done well to save the money spent on the more aggressive plate, but now I know for sure. FWIW, I haven't experienced any issues with loading blades, I've found it to be identical to the Sabre in this respect.
What do you mean concurring? You mean regarding the efficiency?
Just to clarify, the only issue I had with blade loading was with the black steel blades, might have been 'Star' brand? My comment in the last post was concerning the ease of threading the post. Interested if you thought the same, that the Blackland Sabre was ahead in that respect by a smidge. :)