Shave of the Day - 2024

Xtk0Var.jpg

Henckels Friodur 17 7/8 Half Hollow - Semogue 820 - Mike's Barber Shop - Myrsol F./Extra - Sukin Moisturiser

SOTD Wednesday 4 September
  • Razor Gillette Super Adjustable 109 (O1) (6)
  • Blade Astra Superior Platinum (1)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Cream Gillette Pure
  • Post Shave Thayers Witch Hazel - Unscented
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Astra blade was in my 1969 Gillette Super Adjustable 109 today.

This was a new blade, quite mild. I originally had the Gillette 109 on setting 5, this is usually my preferred setting on my Adjustables. After a few strokes I moved up to setting 6. The blade was a little too mild although very comfortable.

Second time using the Gillette Pure cream.
This is a very dense cream, only need a tiny amount for a great rich creamy lather.
The scent is a light mild floral almost unscented.

screen shot

StGnGdxl.jpg

Soap: Phoenix and Beau Iceni
Brush: Omega Boar Barbershop style
Razor: Blacklands Sabre
Blade: GEM Blue Star
Lovely shave from the Sabre. I'd have to concede the Vestige ++ may edge out the Sabre, in comfort not efficiency and certainly not in aesthetics. I wanted argue otherwise but a couple of very minor weepers said differently. :)

What do you mean concurring? You mean regarding the efficiency?
Just to clarify, the only issue I had with blade loading was with the black steel blades, might have been 'Star' brand? My comment in the last post was concerning the ease of threading the post. Interested if you thought the same, that the Blackland Sabre was ahead in that respect by a smidge.
My impression of the +++ plate is that it's a noticeable step up in terms of aggressiveness, but without so much of an increment in efficiency. The ++ plate is a perfect daily driver for me (as is the Sabre V1 L2), much more comfortable than the +++ plate which is now languishing unused and unloved at the back of the shelf.

I've only used the black steel blades with the Sabre, and I'm not buying any more, but I don't remember any issues with blade loading. I don't notice any difference with the Personna blades in either razor.

Too early for me to comment on the new Blackland Sabre v2.0 GEM razor... Why? That's @Errol job reviewing new razors on the market.
I need to strangle @Gargravarr for making me break my bank account on the new Blackland Sabre v2.0 GEM razor, IF, I ever fly to Tasmania bloody devil.
Your impressions of the new razor are just as valuable as anyone else's, perhaps more so in this case as you have the leisure to get to know it, rather than moving on to the "next one" for the following week. I don't recall forcing you to order the new Sabre, I just mentioned that I'm happy with what I've got.

That said, if the new Sabre is anything like the first, you'll have an excellent daily driver that will make you happy for years. And that is by far the best kind of razor to have. Enjoy. (y)

02 to 09 September (SR shaves No. 1719 to 1725)
This week I am shaving with a matching seven-day set (M7DS)of Titan ACRO T.H-70 half-hollow ⅞razors with their edges finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa. The case was custom made of Philippines mahogany by Ferns Finewood Furniture in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines.

For shaving soap, I am again going to try Wholly Kaw "Washington's Blend" face lathered with an Omega "Proraso" boar brush. This is my only puck-type shaving soap (all my others being creams or sticks). Previously this soap has worked favorably for me. Over the week I am going to try and get it to work better and maybe the boar brush will help.

My aftershave is a mix (by volume) of 20% Dickinson's witch hazel and 80% Wahl bay rum.
c3iuEE9.jpg
Interesting that you have found the WK soap to be a "considered" choice. I haven't used it for a couple of years (mine was the Chypre Rose Concerto, a lovely, passionate - even steamy - rose scent) and I fully intend to get some more one day, it performed beautifully.

''Blast from the Past''
Pre-shave; Pears, transparent soap, face wash with warm water, rinse off.

Brush; TroyCraft, ‘’Gold n Jar’’ Jarrah hardwood with pure Gold flake resin handle, highly polished with a CA finish and a 26mm x TF 2 band Finest Badger knot. (Brush No 4)

Soap; Old Spice, 3.oz soap puck (1976-91) in a late 04 milk-glass mug (1970-92)

Razor; Gillette, Aristocrat Gen 1 OC late 30’s (Set No 15) in Rhodium, original condition.

Blade; Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Saloon pack)

Post-shave; Shulton, Old Spice Original, milk-glass bottle, 6.37oz (Bottle style 1996)

Cologne; Shulton, Old Spice Original, milk-glass bottle, 2.5oz (Bottle style 1993)

[url=https://postimg.cc/WtP2sDwY][/URL]

🤬 Imgur now Postimage ''playing up"'

SOTD Thursday 5 September
  • Razor Gillette Adjustable FatBoy G1 (5)
  • Blade Astra Superior Platinum (2)
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Cream Nivea Men – Sensitive Pro
  • Post Shave Nivea Men – Moisturizer
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Cooling Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Astra Superior Platinum blade was in my 1961 Gillette Adjustable FatBoy today.

Another very smooth shave. It’s easy to see why this is a good blade for someone starting wet shaving. No weepers or any irritation from a full head and face shave.
I picked up the Nivea Men – Sensitive pro pack about 2 years ago, $5.00 Aus for both. Great quality with a mild scent.
My soaps/creams last for ages. I look on the package to estimate the number of shaves I will get. I sue >1gm of cream and a little less from a hard soap - 100 gm will give me 100 shaves.
I have a similar process of lather build as @UncleLshaves (Laurie)
If you haven’t seen his YouTube channel, drop in and have a look, amazing lather.

bNoyvLH.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger D01 Red Dragon
Soap: Vintage Cussons Imperial Leather
Razor: Wolfman WR2
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Swede (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Myrsol Plastic Shave After Shave Lotion
Scent: Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather EdC

SOTD – Thu.05SEP2024

SOTD-20240905-setup.png

Shave Result: To my nose the scent I get a complex blend of light sweet spice, fruit and slightly boozy, a bit like Apple & Cinnamon pie, scent strength 5/10. The Legend AC razor and Kai blade gave me an awesome clean, smooth, close DFS with zero irritations, the Kai blade is feeling smoother with each shave, probably I’m adapting to the razor after a few shaves.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Tri-Care Goats Milk & Glycerine Soap (from ALDI) [A]
  • Brush: Billy Goat “Picasso” with 26/56 Synthetic 2Band [A]
  • Soap: Squadron -Scramble! [A]
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Dscosmetic SS Legend AC + Black Classic Handle (72gm with blade; blade gap 0.68mm and exposure 0.02mm)
  • Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild AC (4)
  • Astringent: Jennai Aloe Vera Gel with Witch Hazel & Vitamin E [A]
  • Balm: G&M Australian Creams - Emu Oil MkII [A]
  • After Shave: Old Spice Classic
  • Moisturiser: MooGoo Natural Full Cream - Hydrate [A]
[A] = Australian Product

PXL-20240509-213538303-MP-1.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Valobra Glicerlanolina
Brush: TroyCraft "Nebulish" 30mm silvertip
Soap: Noble Otter - Two Kings
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser

Home again, home again, jiggity-jig. 😐

Only 7am and it's already The Day It Rained Forever. And to cap it off, goodness me, goodness me, I've got Aeroplane Disease, a parting gift from Emirates on the way back. :yuck: My cup runneth over.