Shave of the Day - 2024

What level would you recommend as a daily gem driver similar to the lite, and I’ll think about.
If you're talking about the Blackbird lite, I can't answer that since I haven't tried one. The Sabre with the L2 plate is what I'd describe as a mild razor, but quite efficient. It gives a superbly comfortable shave. If you're chasing a GBS, the Sabre takes a little longer than (say) the Vector, but it'll do it if you want.

If you're talking about the Blackbird lite, I can't answer that since I haven't tried one. The Sabre with the L2 plate is what I'd describe as a mild razor, but quite efficient. It gives a superbly comfortable shave. If you're chasing a GBS, the Sabre takes a little longer than (say) the Vector, but it'll do it if you want.
I’m thinking about giving up the vector

Really? Is it too much? In that case you might just find you do like the Sabre.

Or the Atelier Durdan Vestige... ;) :sneaky:
I'm not getting much enjoyment using AC wide blades very often, because, I don't shave my head, only my face.

Very interesting design, and how they come together.

Last edited:
I'm not getting much enjoyment using AC wide blades very often, because, I don't shave my head, only my face.

Very interesting design, and how they come together.
I don't find the extra width of the AC blades makes that much difference. But I really love the Vestige. It's super-light (8g lighter in SS versions than the Vector) and a beautifully smooth shave. I find I have to force myself to use any of my other razors.

One thing I did eventually find with the Vestige though: I found the corners of the plate just a little on the sharp side (it took me a while to notice) so I took to them briefly with a sheet of 800 grit wet&dry - just for a few seconds. You'd need a good magnifying glass to see what I did, but it made quite a difference to the feel.

Unfortunately, the price is well into the wolfperson bracket, but I don't regret one penny of it.

Unfortunately, the price is well into the wolfperson bracket, but I don't regret one penny of it.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Better stick to my vintage gem razors

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Better stick to my vintage gem razors
Well, think about it. I'm waiting to see what @Errol thinks of it (not that it'll change my mind), though as far as I've noticed, his record with GEM razors has never shown any ringing endorsements. Maybe it's a matter of blades for faces. :unsure:

Well, think about it. I'm waiting to see what @Errol thinks of it (not that it'll change my mind), though as far as I've noticed, his record with GEM razors has never shown any ringing endorsements. Maybe it's a matter of blades for faces. :unsure:
I reckon @Errol isn't a fan of non-flexible thick gem blade.

NOtZQUP.jpg

RAZOR: Vtg. ‘80s MARKS (by Merkur) Silver-Plated Slant Guard
(“MARKS” was the store brand of Stoddard’s Cutlery in Boston)
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdgeYellow
BRUSH: Spiffo! "Castillo" African Blackwood 24mm HMW SHD Fan
LATHER: D.R. Harris Sandalwood Shaving Soap

PXL-20240125-211519218-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Castle Forbes Sandalwood and Cedarwood
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Sulawesi Blue

53486938272_ba29778a93_c.jpg

Brush: Zenith 31mm 508A XL (B35) boar
Razor: Karve Overlander SS
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Lather: Stirling Soap Co - Intrepid Man

Have a great Australia Day!
As an immigrant to this country I have to say it's slightly confusing.
Oh well, at least now we have about 10 months until it all starts again. Alrighty, then.

23 & 24 January
Starting to get better so pulled out my M2DS of pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" 6/8 SRs in original case and finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa.

With a three-day growth, my Wednesday shave (bottom razor) was one N-S pass only as I still did not have the stamina for any more. Thursday, things were improving so I was able to get in a full three-pass shave. Life was starting to look good.

rBuUJFC.jpg

26 &27 January
Two-day set of Gold Dollar W59 SRs both Spanish pointed with sharp pointy toes. The orange tail (Friday) is finished and maintained on vintage coticule and the clear tail on diamond pasted balsa.
YgM4bXV.jpg

I have never really been able to perfect an edge on my vintage coticule but for some unknown reason it all seemed to come together for the Friday shave. A very enjoyable experience, not as keen as a diamond pasted balsa edge but still very enjoyable.

Saturday's razor (clear tail) was with one of those rare razors that takes an edge just a tad better that a new Feather DE blade.