Shave of the Day - 2024

Today's shave was a trifle disapointing...

It was my first shave with a real straight. A Dovo Shorty Barbarossa Spanish point. I checked the blade out for any wobbles and other issues like frowns etc... That involved putting the edge on a flat surface which isn't good for it of course - I did it as lightly as possible but still not good. I gave the blade 20 round trips or so on an 8000 stone, maybe 50 on a Naniwa 12000 then I gave it maybe 40 passes on a kangaroo bench strop. It passed the arm hair test - well at least it shave my arm. However I found that it was pretty hit and miss down the side of my cheeks and pretty rough for tidying my goatee’s lines. I abandoned the straight and grabbed a modern Gillette DE with a feather and then used my feather bladed shavette which was far easier to manoeuvre and cut a lot better. Clearly I have some things to improve on in the sharpening and technique department.

HI9EICm.jpg

Razors: Dovi Barbarossa, Gillette DE, Parker shavette
Blades: Dovo/Feathers
Brush: synthetic
Aftershave: Old Spice (if you’re grandfather hadn’t used it you wouldn’t exist ;-) )
Definitely sounds like the edge is not set fully, the stones you have can get you there, magnification and marker test are your friends here, go back to the 8k and check the deg with the marker test,
note you would be surprised how you can set do a full bevel set with Naniwa 12k, when you had more than you should and mistake it for the Naniwa 1k, don’t ask me how I know

You cannot shave with Bunnings/GEM paint scraper blades. I purchased GEM blades made by Personna a few years back from Connaught Shaving in the UK. Their price and shipping cost was reasonable.

👆 👆 What he said. You want these.
What sort of longevity do you gents get from the Gem blades? I've never tried one, so I don't know what they're like.

What sort of longevity do you gents get from the Gem blades? I've never tried one, so I don't know what they're like.
I get about the same use as I do with my AC blades, about 7 or 8 shaves, 3-pass head and face. It would be much more if I didn't shave my dome.

For reference, I never got more than 4 with any DE blade. I think it might have something to do with how thick and rigid these SE blades are. For a long time I never imagined any razor could equal my Vector, but lately the latter has been getting less use than the Vestige and Sabre.

I get about the same use as I do with my AC blades, about 7 or 8 shaves, 3-pass head and face. It would be much more if I didn't shave my dome.

For reference, I never got more than 4 with any DE blade. I think it might have something to do with how thick and rigid these SE blades are. For a long time I never imagined any razor could equal my Vector, but lately the latter has been getting less use than the Vestige and Sabre.
3 and out for DE Blades for me (ie. 3 shaves x 2-3 passes per shave)... I used to do 3 pass shaves but find 2 is normally adequate for my purposes - I'll feel my face after 2 passes and if I find I missed anywhere I'll just touch the spot up.

3 and out for DE Blades for me (ie. 3 shaves x 2-3 passes per shave)... I used to do 3 pass shaves but find 2 is normally adequate for my purposes - I'll feel my face after 2 passes and if I find I missed anywhere I'll just touch the spot up.
Same here - unless I'm really taking my time and being indulgent, I pretty much do the same these days. I count the touch-ups as a third pass though. Feather blades only did me for two shaves at best, while German Wilkies made it easily to 4.

PXL-20240123-231436163-MP.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Valobra + a drop of jasmine absolute
Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Abel Baku Gesha, Ethiopia

7FivkpY.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Kent BLK8 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Abbate y La Mantia Krokos
Razor: Blutt BR-1 (1.20mm)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Aussie Spoiler (9)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Phoenix & Beau Albion Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Abbate y La Mantia Krokos EdC

PXL-20240122-211100615-PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "takayna" 26mm shoat
Soap: Valobra + a drop of jasmine absolute
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Sulawesi Blue