Shave of the Day - 2024

SOTD – Mon 15 Jan 2024

A Belated Sunday shave.

SOTD-20240114-setup.png

Shave Report: Saturnia soap texture is soft and interestingly contains Olive Oil. My brush today has a big 28mm knot so I used about 2gm of product and slowly added 15ml of water to generate a creamy medium density lather with an great overall performance and good value for money IMO. From the lather I get a very pleasant mineral and herbal aroma but not the rotten egg like smell, scent strength is about 6/10. Another awesome DFS from the Overlander.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Yaqi “Ocean” with 28/57 Boss Knot
  • Soap: RazoRock - SATURNIA Shaving Cream
  • Bowl: Yaqi White ABS “Duke”
  • Razor: Black Karve Aluminium Overlander
  • Blade: Cloud Super Stainless, Platinum Coated (2)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Lucky Tiger - Aspen AS Lotion
  • Moisturiser (Later): Nivea Men - Anti-Irritation AS Lotion

H-SOTD 14.01.24

IMG-7786.jpg

Pre-shave:- Hot shower
Brush:- Grizzly Bay w/ Fanchurian knot
Soap: LupusRex - Claymore
Razor: Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60
Finished with: Blackland - Vector
Moisturiser: Crew - Facebalm (+SPF 15)

Last shave at home before another 2 weeks in Perth. But if a special shave today - got to try out Claymore by Lupus Rex and also got to take a brand new Titan SR for a spin.

I’ll do a full review of the soap towards the end of the week once I’ve used it a few more times. First impressions - lovely scent. A real premium pine & bergamot / citrus blend. The tallow & shea butter base has a similar feel to Moonsoaps Union. Very easy to get a good thick lather, with a nice amount of residual slickness.

The Titan … was bloody awesome. A lot heavier to hold than the Bengals. Richard had honed it to perfection - was like a knife through warm butter! I think the extra weight made the shave easier - just felt more substantial in the hands. Best think about it though are the extreme Flutes / Jimps on the inside face of the tang. Inspired much more confidence when shaving the back of my head!

s.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Vazon Forest" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Martin de Candre Original
Razor: ΑΛΦΑ Claymore Evolution
Blade: Proshave S
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ismaili Selection, Yemen

09 - 12 January
I continued working my through some of my T.R. Cadman pre-1924 "Bengall" SRs lathering with Wholly Kaw "Washington's Blend".

PN3oyLX.jpg

No matter what I try, I still have not been able to get this soap to work for me. It is a good soap, except I cannot get the slickness out of it that I prefer with SR shaving. I will put it away for a while and give it another try later.

3.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Polar Nocturne" 28mm AP Titanium
Soap: Pb Smokey Lavender
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ismaili Selection, Yemen

Today's shave was a trifle disapointing...

It was my first shave with a real straight. A Dovo Shorty Barbarossa Spanish point. I checked the blade out for any wobbles and other issues like frowns etc... That involved putting the edge on a flat surface which isn't good for it of course - I did it as lightly as possible but still not good. I gave the blade 20 round trips or so on an 8000 stone, maybe 50 on a Naniwa 12000 then I gave it maybe 40 passes on a kangaroo bench strop. It passed the arm hair test - well at least it shave my arm. However I found that it was pretty hit and miss down the side of my cheeks and pretty rough for tidying my goatee’s lines. I abandoned the straight and grabbed a modern Gillette DE with a feather and then used my feather bladed shavette which was far easier to manoeuvre and cut a lot better. Clearly I have some things to improve on in the sharpening and technique department.

HI9EICm.jpg

Razors: Dovi Barbarossa, Gillette DE, Parker shavette
Blades: Dovo/Feathers
Brush: synthetic
Aftershave: Old Spice (if you’re grandfather hadn’t used it you wouldn’t exist ;-) )

I gave the blade 20 round trips or so on an 8000 stone, maybe 50 on a Naniwa 12000 then I gave it maybe 40 passes on a kangaroo bench strop.

If the bevel is not correctly set, then higher grit stones will not make any difference. Get somone who knows how to hone to give you a reference edge; then you'll know what you are aiming at.