Shave of the Day - 2024

First shave with the Houken and it was a pearler! :D

zJDACFe.jpg

Houken 66 Deluxe 13/16 Half Hollow - Zenith Manchurian - MdC Fougère - Myrsol Antesol - Sukin Moisturiser

If the bevel is not correctly set, then higher grit stones will not make any difference. Get somone who knows how to hone to give you a reference edge; then you'll know what you are aiming at.
@ThumbpickerCGP has a couple of GD66 SRs from my PIF No. 11 being posted to him on Monday. That should give him a reference edge and another to practise honing with.

I'll be very interested to see what a properly sharp one is like. Hopefully it's at least as good as Derby and if it gets close to a feather even better!
I occasionally shave with a shavette style razor, just to keep my hand in, usually with a Feather half-DE blade. Shavette shaving is similar to using a traditional SR but different.

Most SRs can be honed to a keenness close to a Feather but rarely matching or exceeding it. I, very occasionally, get a honed blade to match the keenness of a Feather blade. The keenness test is in doing a CdM (aka fool's pass) which is shaving south to north on the upper lip. The result and feel tell you the result.

All else being equal, it is your SR shaving technique that gives you the closest and most comfortable shave with a SR. That technique can take months of daily shaving to develop - and you never master it. Well I haven't mastered it but I have only about 1,500 three-phase SR shaves to my name.

Last edited: