Not open for further replies.
LCtk5CA.jpg

SOTD (14/9/2016)

Pre: Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (5th use)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout
Post: Thayer’s Cucumber/Proraso Sandalwood AS/Shaver Heaven Sweet Almond Milk AS Balm

Shaver Heaven is one of the best soaps I’ve used. Incredible scent and awesome performance, can’t say anything negative at all. The scent on the Oatmeal Stout is sooooo goooood!
Nice setup and I am enjoying the Proraso sandalwood aftershave very much, just got mine. Great sandalwood scent and great Proraso performance.

Been a little lazy lately.
Sunday's shave was the following:
Pre: Shower
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: GSB (4)
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 "Pure"
Soap: Soap Commander "Purpose" (Thanks @Mark1966)
After: Alum, Pinaud Clubman, TSW After Balm

This morning's shave was this:
Pre: Shower
Blade: GSB (5)
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Razorock "XXX" (Thanks @todras)
After: Alum, Myrsol Formula "C", TSW After Balm

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Beehive with Black Wolf Synthetic Knot
Blade:Voskhod (2)
A/S: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

I am very impressed with this knot. It took me a while to load the brush, as I find with synths that it's very easy to dump a ton of water onto the soap unless you squeeze out most of the water. Once fully loaded it performed admirably as a face lathering brush. Nice backbone with super soft tips. Not too 'springy' if you know what I mean. A great choice if you get to the front of the WW queue.

Yesterday afternoon was soap making day. My current stash was about to run out. After a discussion about Stearic acid/Coconut oil soaps I broke out soapcalc and experimented. This is the recipe if there are any other members here who want to make there own version.
40% Stearic
40% Coconut
15% Kokum Butter
5% Tallow
60/40 Potassium and Sodium Hydroxide
At the end of the 90 minutes cook I added 10% Glycerine and about 2% Lanolin
For skin protection I added a generous dose of Lemon myrtle

Lathered very well with excellent glide. I'm attempting to tailor my soap for straight use primarily.
2 passes DFS+

Skin felt good. Not too drying and no feeling of residual soapiness.
Great info, Baldy. By the way, what's with your avatar. Are you and @Drubbing bromancing?

2016-09-14_08-18-50 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real glyce soap
Razor: Ikon X3
Blade: Polsilver SI(1)
Brush: Plisson(Thanks for the loan @Draco Noir )
Soap: I Coloniali
Post Shave: Natio Balm and Proraso sandalwood AS
Three pass shave with the X3 was a little bit of a struggle today. The angle escaped me for a bit but finally manage to get it right for a decent DFS+. Soap is superb and finished off with the excellent Proraso sandalwood AS.
The Ozzman cometh yet again with a characteristically classy line up.

Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SS (5)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: B&M Latha Limon
After: TSW After Balm

Tonight's shave was back to the Standard and the Polsilver. Shave #5 with the Polsilver was light years ahead of Shave #2 with the Ladas. I'll give the Ladas a go in the Standard when the Polsilver keels over, which may not be for a while! A smooth, close and comfortable DFS again tonight.

Kept adding drops of water to the Latha, and it just kept on building the lather - 3 passes and cleanup, and probably could have done 2 more passes with the lather I had left. Very good post-shave feel as well.

7e7e24486232b76c56071bc88f1d0d74.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Schick Platinum Plus (2)
Cologne: Farina 1709 Original

Great shave. The Stirling soap performed superbly as expected - also loved the fresh Ozark Mountain scent. I broke out a bar of the matching body soap, the interestingly named 'Pig Trail'. Fear not, it has a scent identical to the Ozark Mountain shaving soap.
The Schick blade felt even smoother on the second shave. The combination of the smooth blade and slick lather resulted in an irritation and blood free DFS - I couldn't get super-close on an area of my chin due to a blemish.
Great post shave feel, and with the freshness of the soaps I had used, I matched with Farina 1709 Original cologne. @todras - where were you when I needed you with your coveted range of Stirling splashes :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW on TSW 'Bren' Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (5)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Tonique Splash

I don't often stick with the same kit for this long - it must be good!

fd7984fa357c3c00c80f4363171c7f08.jpg

from: https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...e-pass-around-with-pif.2850/page-6#post-77844

shave #4

so just to recap.
Two Dot plate - bloody ripper!
Three Dot plate - Jack the Ripper!

So today was One Dot plate.

I think Supply Provisions calls it "Sensitive". Well, fitting then as my face is still quite sensitive after yesterday's shave.

I'm giving this razor the benefit of the tried-and-tested. Not trying anything new that might skew the results. Having said that, this was only the second outing with this synth. Folks bang on about synths working well with any soap or cream. Well cream's no challenge so I thought I'd throw a soap at it. I wanted to try it with a hard soap. I surveyed the cabinet and couldn't decide which hard soap to use. Each had something going for it. But then my eyes settled on the glint of the white gloss porcelain. Ah ha yes of course don't choose a hard soap, choose the hard soap. Seriously there is not much finer than The Fat. If someone tells you otherwise they're trying to sell you something. Anyway the Shave Revolution synthetic whipped up a superlative lather. Even granted a little more control in thinning out the lather - as I prefer for a straight shave. Then I remembered this were no straight shave, so the knot revisited the puck. Thickened up and off we go. Big thanks to @nsavage for the sale.

Look not much to add about the razor this shave I'm afraid.

Was it better than yesterday's shave with the Three Dot?
Hell yes! But then I think shaving with a sliver of freshly chipped obsidian would be smoother.

Was it better than the first two days with the Two Dot?
Well it was just as smooth. Didn't get a single pop, not a single drop of blood this morning. Zero irritation - which is to be applauded after such a minced shave the day previous....usually hard not to feel echoes of an awful shave the next day. So full credit to the One Dot for smoothness. But closeness? Nahhhh, didn't get close enough for me. Yeah be got BBs on the cheeks, but that's no real challenge. Under the chin and neck is where men are tested? Well I'd not call it a fail - it did better than many DEs. But it wasn't in the same continent as the GEM, the R41, a nice straight or even the Two Dot.

Last edited:
2e11933ea4d97f0ca5e994d384098762.jpg

I like other blades, but don't have any desire to use anything but the Rockwell with a permasharp super. The Jabonman truly is an awesome soap.

Got the sample of black ship queen Anne's revenge Mark1966, will review on Saturday. Might do a pirate talk video for the competition tomorrow morning :)

211ks44.jpg

Pre: La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Brush: SJOL 28mm Silvertip
Razor: Merkur Progress, 3.5
Blade: Feather
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Seville
After:Balm
Aftershave: Fine - American Blend

Feeling the Barbershop vibe with the always high performing Seville from B+M, it is a standout among the barbershop scents with a very particular B+M spin. Finished up as per usual with some After Balm prior to hitting my face with the alcohol strong Fine American Blend that has a superb fresh scent.

Altogether very pleasing for a cold and windy Thursday.

2e11933ea4d97f0ca5e994d384098762.jpg

I like other blades, but don't have any desire to use anything but the Rockwell with a permasharp super. The Jabonman truly is an awesome soap.

Got the sample of black ship queen Anne's revenge Mark1966, will review on Saturday. Might do a pirate talk video for the competition tomorrow morning :)

Completely agree. That Gea is top three!
Nice bit of animal hair you got going on there mate. Which shavemac do we see?

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Polsilver SI
Soap/Cream: Crown King - Steeplechase Sport
Brush: Maggard Razors
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Cologne: Boss Bottled Intense
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm, cologne

Testing new soaps from Crown King and B&M. I know about HTGAM/PAA issues and CK is the PAA from what I know, but because TSW/CK #2 Soap was excellent I wanted to try CK this morning. It was very easy to lather and once the lather was worked it was thick and creamy and provided good slickness. Had almost none sting/bite from alum. May be not as good as TSW/CK #2 Soap, but definitely very good shaving soap. Had BBS on cheeks and DFS on neck. The scent is like Polo Blue.

Date: 15 September 2016
tjfvNqt.jpg

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazorRock Old Type Open Comb
Blade: - Vintage Polsilver Stainless #2
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash

2016-09-15_07-59-25 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real glyce soap and Proraso sandalwood preshave cream
Razor: Ikon X3
Blade: Polsilve SI(2)
Brush: Maggards Synthetic
Soap: Mikes Hungarian Lavender
Post Shave: Natio Balm, Myrsol Agua Balsamica and Bulgari Man Extreme
Three pass shave. Found the angle of the X3 better today and the result is a smooth face. The Myrsol feels wonderful on the face and finished off with some Bulgari Man Extreme EDP. All is well.

20160915_SOTDSVig_zpsnb45xu3e.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Weber PH UFO Titan L
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Doug Korn TGN Finest
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Got a new toy to keep me a bit occupied until the next custom brush arrives.

I always wanted to try a The Golden Nib Finest knot, as I have heard so many good things about it. So when I saw this beauty on offer I couldn't resist. The knot is for it's price point superb. It costs ~30US$ new, has a very strong backbone, yet soft tips. Of course it is not a Shavemac 2-band - but then it costs almost a third of that. I am not sure if the bulb shape and loft (it is a 26mm knot with a 50mm knot) are the perfect fit for me - but I was VERY impressed by the performance - the lather was outstanding (picture here), but even more it was absolutely effortless.

So my first impression of the knot would be: it won't become my weekend luxurious favourite, but for those days, when time is sparse - yet you don't want to compromise on quality lather - this is the one to go for.

It is of course needless to say, that the handle is simply perfect. Again ivory would not be my personal first choice (I prefer more funky colours), but Doug's craftsmanship really takes things to another level.

The shave itself was super close, yet very smooth. This head/handle combination works really well for me at the moment. I hope you enjoy your shaves as well (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.