Not open for further replies.
Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann - Cheshire
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Fibre V2.0
ASB: Chatillon Lux - La Forêt de Liguest
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm

Does anyone know if the formulation for B&M Cheshire is different to B&M Cologne Russe or it's just me? First of all it took much longer to make the lather and while it looked all right it wasn't as slick(???) as B&M Cologne Russe. Had quite a lot of sting/bite from alum. Blade should be fine - only 3rd usage today, and I think I didn't press at all. I understand it could be just me and I'll certainly test Cheshire more as I love Cologne Russe.

How good is First Canadian! I picked up some of their samples and the performance is first class.
I was pleasantly surprised with how good it is, very slick and decent post shave feel(y)
I'm using First Canadian since I started DE shaving it's one of my favourite soaps. Peppermint & Grapefruit is excellent in summer - it doesn't have menthol, but due to peppermint it gives a very refreshing and cooling effect.

d859071ee1951966a1d55b57284fded1.jpg

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...e-pass-around-with-pif.2850/page-7#post-77944

shave #5 (aka the final shave)

so I finish where I started with the Two Dot plate.
so I finish where I started with a great shave.

Apologies to @SydBJW , as I'd promised to try out one of the Whisper in the Woods samples that he kindly sent my way, but I had to round off the testing - mate the soap has a date with the R41 and Bren next week - promise(y) . But I'd expected more from my shave with MWF and the One Dot yesterday so I just had to know whether the Supply Provisions razor married well with lustrous Fat lather.

Short version: 'king oath it does!

Long version: big thanks to @nsavage for parting with this brush. I feared at first that the small handle and dense small knot was going to be a revisit to the Simpsons Duke 2.
Oh how I wanted to love that brush.
Oh how disappointed I was in that brush.
...I know it's not the brush, it's me, but bottom line is that contrary to all the hype we didn't agree on it being "the best face latherer in the business"
This Edwin Jagger silvertip might look a little like a Duke but it's a Prince! Soft tips, generous facial footprint, great flow-through, nice backbone. I admit I was being a little sneaky and setting it up to fail against a soap as hard as MWF. A soap that sobs in the face of a Semogue. But the EJ did a superb job. Gently coaxing a lather rather than scrubbing it from the skin of the soap.

So nice luxurious lather, and the Supply Provisions was just like a Ski-Doo through freshly fallen snow, just carved through...leaving nothing but two trails snaking in its wake. A funny phenomenon this! Three passes and BBS@95%. Got two pops, but I feel they might have been more about user zealousness. But the best shave yet!

In closing my impressions of the Supply Provisions razor:
Finish and feel - although smooth not slippery. Love the groove that travels down the shaft. Great for ATG grip.
Aesthetic - not my cuppa. Its lines are a little too modern and clean for my liking. I'm more Art Deco (think GEM and straights) than Phillipe Starck or Ikea.
Loading - a doddle
Weight - a mixed bag. Generous but oddly distributed. Works in its favour for some passes and against it with some other approaches.
Shave - One Dot: hmmm...., Three Dots: arghhh..., Two Dots: oh yeahhhhh

Q: Would I buy one?
A: most tempted by a basic Two Dot "Classic" package. Like VERY!

Q: Would I accept the PIF?
A: most graciously

Big thanks to @alfredus for the opportunity to test....not only the razor but my resolve in avoiding the temptation of buying one of my own.

Now off to the sunnier climes with @Anthony Hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the formulation for B&M Cheshire is different to B&M Cologne Russe or it's just me? First of all it took much longer to make the lather and while it looked all right it wasn't as slick(???) as B&M Cologne Russe. Had quite a lot of sting/bite from alum. Blade should be fine - only 3rd usage today, and I think I didn't press at all. I understand it could be just me and I'll certainly test Cheshire more as I love Cologne Russe.

Depending on your tub, the Cheshire may not be 'Glissant' base - check the History of B+M article I posted in the B+M thread in soaps, it will have the details there on the formulation.

Depending on your tub, the Cheshire may not be 'Glissant' base - check the History of B+M article I posted in the B+M thread in soaps, it will have the details there on the formulation.
A-ha! That explains everything. Cheshire is in white tub. I also have Latha Sandalwood which is also different from my understanding. I've got three B&M from three different lines - good to compare them. Tomorrow is Latha day. :)

From this morning:
Pre: Shower, Proraso green Pre/Post
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: GSB (6)
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Soap Commander "Purpose" (Thanks @Mark1966)
After: Alum, Pinaud Clubman, Natio calming balm

Almost binned the GSB after the last shave, got one more out of it and it was not too bad still.
The soap performed nicely again, and I think the Proraso certainly helped out a little.
Will try to obtain some other versions of the Proraso pre/post, I think that the menthol and eucalyptus scent overpowered the S/C sample this morining.
Overall, a very enjoyable shave with very little irritaiton and no nicks or cuts to speak of.

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Schick Platinum Plus (3)
EdT: Steampunk

The Stirling soap was again excellent. Like the scent, and the thing that strikes me most about the two Stirling soaps I've tried is the longevity of the lather. Even on the 3rd pass, you look like the old geezer on the Cella ad.
Another very close shave; I rushed it a bit and had a bit of irritation, which subsided immediately during my post-shave routine. Great post shave feel, and loving the funky Steampunk fragrance from Berlin.

PS - How's this for a generation gap classic. I walked past my son, held up the soap tub, and sang "Every girl's crazy for a......."
All I got was a blank stare.

vBvHtTL.jpg

Pre: Occam's Crushed Lime Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London - 28 mm Silvertip
Razor: Above the Tie Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Cream: Castle Forbes - Lime Essential Oil Shaving Cream
Balm: Castle Forbes - Lime Essential Oil After Shave Balm
EDT: La'Occitane - Verveine

A bit of extravagance on my part today, always a superb shave and a thoroughly enjoyable wet-shave start to Saturday.

Good Shaving Gentlemen! :)

Lather Shot

Last edited:
vBvHtTL.jpg

Pre: Occam's Crushed Lime Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London - 28 mm Silvertip
Razor: Above the Tie Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Cream: Castle Forbes - Lime Essential Oil Shaving Cream
Balm: Castle Forbes - Lime Essential Oil After Shave Balm
EDT: La'Occitane - Verveine

A bit of extravagance on my part today, always a superb shave and a thoroughly enjoyable wet-shave start to Saturday.

Good Shaving Gentlemen! :)
And the stand looks great, Mate!

And the stand looks great, Mate!

I think it was well worth the wait, the maker ran out of stock for a while and as he works as a Radiographer he is time pressured.

Having the razor laying about wasn't too crash hot either, I am very happy with the way it sits and the design itself makes it a nice bit of kit.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW on TSW 'Bren' Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (7)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Tonique Splash

Seven days with the same kit? Wow, must be impressive stuff (it is) and must be time for a change (it is)

Great blade in a great head on a great handle gliding across a great lather whipped up by a great brush and topped off by a great aftershave.

Hmmm, now how would I describe this shave?

Soap/Cream: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Man - Cologne Russe Tonique Splash

Seven days with the same kit? Wow, must be impressive stuff (it is) and must be time for a change (it is)

Great blade in a great head on a great handle gliding across a great lather whipped up by a great brush and topped off by a great aftershave.

Hmmm, now how would I describe this shave?

Can you describe the scent of the Cologne Russe, I have been thinking about picking up a set of it....

Man, Baldie - that is some beautiful steel. Aogami Blue?

It was made by @Robbie d our local Adelaide razor maker but I don't know the actual steel. It is extremely hard. It took me an eon to set the bevel and then finish the edge. To maintain the Damascus on the spine I used layers of tape. It is surprisingly easy to shave with and very nimble. I have another one that is spring or machine steel or something like that? It is a softer steel but also takes a very fine edge. Both of the blades are semi wedge like or at maximum 1/4 hollow.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.