Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you describe the scent of the Cologne Russe, I have been thinking about picking up a set of it....

Great?

I'm lousy at describing scent - @filobiblic might do it better. Description from website -

Based on one of the oldest forms of perfume, Cologne Russe is a throwback to a scent created by the House of Guerlain for the Russian Royal Family and discontinued in the early twentieth century. Notes of lemon, bergamot, petitgrain, and herbs dry down to violet, rose, bay, and amber. The scent is distinctly warmer than most other cologne-type fragrances, owing largely to its inclusion of castoreum, benzoin, and vanilla. Clean and elegant without the aloofness of some other scents, Cologne Russe is a perfect way to finish your shave and brighten your morning before another cold, bitter winter.

IMG_4337.jpg

Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Razor - Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade - Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post Shave - Witch Hazel, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Balm

Best shave of my career!
The Semogue boar brush is coming up to 1 month old and whipped up a dense, slick, lovely smelling lather. My face felt great afterward, not at all the slightly traumatised feeling I would normally have if I went this close. This stuff is on another level to what I have used before!

Have a top weekend gents!

vBvHtTL.jpg

Pre: Occam's Crushed Lime Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London - 28 mm Silvertip
Razor: Above the Tie Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Cream: Castle Forbes - Lime Essential Oil Shaving Cream
Balm: Castle Forbes - Lime Essential Oil After Shave Balm
EDT: La'Occitane - Verveine

A bit of extravagance on my part today, always a superb shave and a thoroughly enjoyable wet-shave start to Saturday.

Good Shaving Gentlemen! :)

Lather Shot
That brush; simply plain, good looks and the knot looks HUGE. Good thing I'm not chasing another brush :whistle:

SOTD

Second time out with the T&H 1805 & it was not a fluke it truly is an awesome Shave Cream the texture, lather, slickness, scent and post feel and closeness it gives in results is amazing. For those who have had it try it again for those who have thought about it or just have not got it buy it you will not regret it.
gpooJvu.jpg

You are more of a numbers man, I'm guessing....

Might grab a set in a couple of weeks, I've got an order going in with Manuel ala Jabonman who has some new things in stock which I am keen to pounce on.

O rly? What has Manuel got new? Can you post list pls?

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann - Sandalwood
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Fibre V2.0
ASB: Chatillon Lux - Delor de Treget
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm

I know it could be YMMV case, but B&M Latha series produced much better lather Cheshire in white tub. So for me right now they are in the following order:
  1. 'Glissant' series
  2. Latha
  3. White tubs
And the smell of sandalwood with currant is simply outstanding!

I know it could be YMMV case, but B&M Latha series produced much better lather Cheshire in white tub. So for me right now they are in the following order:
  1. 'Glissant' series
  2. Latha
  3. White tubs
And the smell of sandalwood with currant is simply outstanding!

To be honest, I think it's a case of you getting the lather dialled in on the Cheshire a little more most likely by pre-loading a lot more soap. I have used both for a long time now, while the Latha series does have some advantages (particularly the wonderful Currant and amber that dominates) the Cheshire formulation and quality of cushion, glide and post-shave feel is almost universally lauded.

Latha is much easier to lather, however from my using it in the cooler months the post shave feel was somewhat lacking when stood up against Cheshire.

my 0.02 and as you said, YMMV.

IMG_4337.jpg

Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Razor - Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade - Personna Lab Blue (2)
Post Shave - Witch Hazel, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Balm

Best shave of my career!
The Semogue boar brush is coming up to 1 month old and whipped up a dense, slick, lovely smelling lather. My face felt great afterward, not at all the slightly traumatised feeling I would normally have if I went this close. This stuff is on another level to what I have used before!

Have a top weekend gents!

Cracking photograph and top kit mate!

Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SS (6)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: WSP Rustic
After: TSW After Balm

Another fine shave from the Polsilver, but it is slowly losing a bit of sharpness. Still comfortable ATG on the upper lip, but needing a bit more cleanup on the neck. I'm going to see how far I can push it and still get a comfortable shave - I reckon at least one or two more shaves in it.

That brush; simply plain, good looks and the knot looks HUGE. Good thing I'm not chasing another brush :whistle:

At $202 from @shavetheman for a 28mm Silvertip with that loft and splay, you don't need to be chasing another brush ;)

It's a very solid performer, I really like the tortoise shell and it has dropped maybe 1 or 2 hairs tops and I use it almost daily, I am very glad I acquired it and highly recommend them.

It even comes in the same red box and wrapping as a well known English brush maker that starts with S.

In fact if their name were to be printed on the box, it would be indistinguishable. If you take a look at the Manchurian Chubby 2 and 3 they do, you may even see the exact same font used on the rear of the brush, the only difference being theirs says Manchurian Badger and mine says Silvertip...

George%20Butler%20Keen_zpsi5sosm82.jpg

Same setup all seek.
Cold water shave
Soap: Shaver Heaven Spiced Mahogany (blue tub)
Brush: Mainly badger (Simpsons Berkeley and EJ) but my cheap synth one day during the week
Palm lather ('ey; why not give it a go? Some people swear by it)
Blade: George Butler Keen 6/8

Great week shaving. This blade is soooo sharp, As always the Shaver Heaven soap was a great performing product and has a good scent. Every night from Sunday has been post-11.00pm with each morning up at 5.15am latest so I was struggling by the end of the week. I was having swooning, nauseous turns Friday morning before my shave (didn't start to ease off until about knock-off time ... ... ... funny that. But being a one person operation at my location ya jus' gotta git 'er dun) so I went the safe path choosing the EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle & Astra Green (1) to navigate Friday's shave.
EJ89%20DE%20Bulldog%20handle_zpsrjyezvse.jpg

Being one who hates waste (read "tight as" when it comes to wasting a 20 cents blade with only 1 use) I decided to use it again this morning. Probably just as well ... ... ... still a bit of brain fog going on.

Good week for good shaves.

Really nice photography and SOTD today Gents with surely a few more to come!

Great Spring wet-shaves from all, really made for very enjoyable Saturday viewing and reading on my part. I particularly like seeing the straight razors, the impeccable design and craftsmanship in those objects reflects the beautiful things that they are.

Cracking good show Gentlemen, I lift my hat to all of you :)

5a1e6894de81c4e713e827c6813f0f65.jpg

Brush: Plisson HMW
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Vintage Wilky
Soap: D.R. Harris Lavender
A/S: Real Shaving Balm
Cologne: D.R. Harris Lavender Water

A nice change after yesterday's disappointing shave. It may be ridiculously mild but the Wilkinson Sticky never fails to provide an excellent shave. 3 passes with a touch up and BBS is easily and effortlessly achieved.

Date: 17 September 2016
Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Pre De Provence No. 63 Shave Soap
Razor: - RazorRock Old Type Open Comb
Blade: - Vintage Polsilver Stainless #3
Post Shave: - Alum Block / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash & Post Shave Balm

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Schick Platinum Plus (3)
EdT: Steampunk

The Stirling soap was again excellent. Like the scent, and the thing that strikes me most about the two Stirling soaps I've tried is the longevity of the lather. Even on the 3rd pass, you look like the old geezer on the Cella ad.
Another very close shave; I rushed it a bit and had a bit of irritation, which subsided immediately during my post-shave routine. Great post shave feel, and loving the funky Steampunk fragrance from Berlin.

PS - How's this for a generation gap classic. I walked past my son, held up the soap tub, and sang "Every girl's crazy for a......."
All I got was a blank stare.

ME1Ndnl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.