Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
QEqDsFcl.jpg

Review please @filobiblic! What is the Local Gent Soap like???? I'm keen to try their Eucalyptus.

Pre: Prorasso Red
Blade: Parker 567
Brush: Chubby 2 - Best
Soap: Tabac Original
Scent:Tabac Original

I've been playing around with some soaps from new (to me) artisans. Today I decided I was missing the old favourites so grabbed the Tabac. Man... sooooo good, the scent, the lather, everything... perfect for me. I have decided this a long time ago but if it were one soap for the rest of my life, it would be Tabac!

I also decided I have been skimping. Skimping on product (although not soap), skimping on stropping etc. Today I did a few more laps on the Kanoyama (40 more actually) and was rewarded by a wonderfully smooth edge. I used more preshave, more post shave, more aftershave and the results speak for themselves. Lots of faceturbating going on today.

Shave on gents!

I also decided I have been skimping. Skimping on product (although not soap), skimping on stropping etc. Today I did a few more laps on the Kanoyama (40 more actually) and was rewarded by a wonderfully smooth edge. I used more preshave, more post shave, more aftershave and the results speak for themselves. Lots of faceturbating going on today.

Shave on gents!

Now THAT is music to vendors ears :)

More, I say, More!

Pre: Prorasso Red
Blade: Parker 567
Brush: Chubby 2 - Best
Soap: Tabac Original
Scent:Tabac Original

I've been playing around with some soaps from new (to me) artisans. Today I decided I was missing the old favourites so grabbed the Tabac. Man... sooooo good, the scent, the lather, everything... perfect for me. I have decided this a long time ago but if it were one soap for the rest of my life, it would be Tabac!

Shave on gents!

Sounds great shave @Sxot. I don't think I could ever limit myself to just one soap :)

After your review Tabac has been added to my list of soaps to try one day.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: P&B Spitfire
Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Stirling Gentleman

I think one of my favourite joys of this caper is when you grab a soap you haven't used for a little while, unscrew the lid and get that rush of scent that powerfully and evocatively takes you away from a work morning in the bathroom to another place altogether, a place which is filled with positive memories of great shaves past.

Then you lather up and with the great soaps those memories change and swirl around as the layers of the scent come out and by the time you apply the rich, creamy lather to your face you are transported and the world is a better place. Thanks @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau for an amazing journey this morning ...

Finished off nicely with the Stirling Gentleman, a wonderful start to the day.
My absolute pleasure @Mark1966

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Date: 06 October 2016

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Whipped Dog Silvertip in Resin Handle 24/48mm
Lather: - The Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream
Razor: - Fatip with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - German Wilkinson Sword #3
Post Shave: - Alum Block / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash & Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: - The Body Shop White Musk For Men EDT

3R1MAtN.jpg

Pre: La Toja
Brush: Simpson CH1 SB
Razor: Progress
Blade: Polsilver SI
Soap: Strop Shoppe - Baker St
After:Balm
Splash: Barristers Reserve - Spice

A nice Thursday shave. The Reserve Red very much a mimic of the 'old' Old Spice.
Nice shave and great pic @todras
Interesting about the Reserve Red - i guess thats why theres a ship on the label!
Did the fragrance last a long time?

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: P&B Spitfire
Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Stirling Gentleman

I think one of my favourite joys of this caper is when you grab a soap you haven't used for a little while, unscrew the lid and get that rush of scent that powerfully and evocatively takes you away from a work morning in the bathroom to another place altogether, a place which is filled with positive memories of great shaves past.

Then you lather up and with the great soaps those memories change and swirl around as the layers of the scent come out and by the time you apply the rich, creamy lather to your face you are transported and the world is a better place. Thanks @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau for an amazing journey this morning ...

Finished off nicely with the Stirling Gentleman, a wonderful start to the day.
I agree 100% @Mark1966 !! Its amazing how a scent can evoke powerful memories and take you back...

Nice shave and great pic @todras
Interesting about the Reserve Red - i guess thats why theres a ship on the label!
Did the fragrance last a long time?

Well, out of all 3 of the Reserves I have the Spice lasts the longest and incidentally smelled the strongest out of the bottle.

The Blue 'Cool' is a lot like Floid Blue, the White (original) is a lot like the long discontinued 'Gillette - Sun up' and the Red (Spice) is a lot like the older Old Spice.

The Blue and the white are fairly short lived, even with a healthy application while the Spice lasts somewhat longer. All 3 are pleasant but imho are not standouts in my splash collection.

Well, out of all 3 of the Reserves I have the Spice lasts the longest and incidentally smelled the strongest out of the bottle.

The Blue 'Cool' is a lot like Floid Blue, the White (original) is a lot like the long discontinued 'Gillette - Sun up' and the Red (Spice) is a lot like the older Old Spice.

The Blue and the white are fairly short lived, even with a healthy application while the Spice lasts somewhat longer. All 3 are pleasant but imho are not standouts in my splash collection.

That's very helpful and great info / thanks @todras - made my mind up - life's too short to wear "average " splashes!!

2 passes DFS+ and no loss of blood.

I honed a blade that I like because it is beat up and I salvaged it from oblivion. However it has not been in the "Russian" category for shaving - until now. I finished it on my Cnat with an extremely fine slurry stone and stropped it on leather only, no linen. Wow, what a blade.

Brush: Semogue 2000
Pre shave oil: Macadamia with Lemon Myrtle
Soap: Mine
Razor: Solingen "Magnetic Platypus"
Post shave: hot face washer then a good dose of Macadamia with Lemon Myrtle.

Steve

Pre: Top Seven emulsion
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Custom
Soap: SMF
Razor: HG Razor Custom kamisori

Fantastic lather today, sorry no pics. Scent is out of this world, highly recommended. Very smooth shave today. Only nicked myself, as I had a beer or two before hand. Other than that, very happy shave tonight.

Iw9WdTo.jpg

Pre: Occam's Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Brush: Simpson Persian Jar 2
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Cheshire
After: Balm
Splash: Barristers Reserve - Cool

The last day of field testing the Barristers Reserve today, it also being Friday which I am very glad of after a fairly busy week.

A lovely shave from the Cheshire topped off with some Floid Blu ala Reserve Cool.

Enjoy your shaves, Gentleman :)

Status
Not open for further replies.