Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's usually to do with the loading onto the brush from a sample. Very hard to get right I am afraid. Usually it is faaaaaar better when you use the real product. HEV is amazing stuff, I have The Shaving Shop's 'Savoy' which is produced by him. It's right up there with the best of B&M, SH & Caties. Just buy it, you will not be disappointed.
Thanks @Monsta_AU , good to hear. ;)

d4b9526326925041b65d242eff5c6edc.jpg

3P preshave
SS Baker Street
Switchback 400
BBS-1
Gillette Green (1)
Fine Fresh Vetiver

Last edited by a moderator:
KDE6Kqm.jpg

Pre: Occam's Original Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London 26mm Silvertip
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Soap: Mystic Waters - White Tea & Ginger
After: Balm
Splash: Beaver Woodright - Shipwreck Cove
Tea: 2011 Fujian Province (Aged) 'White Peony'

I tend towards collecting and obtaining a variety of Chinese whole leaf teas and on average keep around 16-20 of various origins and values, the peony pictured is around $110.00 for the cake (200 grams) and is pressed whole leaf that is somewhat cured. Some of the silver needle white tea I really enjoy is far more costly and difficult to obtain, running to $90 plus for 28 grams. Such a 'white' is picked by hand on 1 or 2 days of the year prior to dawn where oxidation occurs when the fine, fresh shoots lose their appeal or more rightly gain flavour and scent attributes considered undesirable. Not at all related to shaving, other than the great sample received recently from Michelle at Mystic Water: White Tea and Ginger.

A sweet ginger and white tea scent from the soap that is both sweet,complex, very esoteric and immediately desirable as a collector and drinker of Chinese teas. I often feel like a subtle, different scent even with a large collection of soaps - most of which are strong. Matching the scent profile of the soap to a splash has been a struggle, and I am currently looking at essential oils to make a batch up myself or having one prepared to order. The usual almonds worth made a mountain of thick, glossy lather with a very, very good post shave feel as is expected from Mystic Water Soaps. A touch of after-balm to sooth the skin then a generous application of Shipwreck cove with its very subtle Bay Rum, Clove, lime and Ginger notes sitting on top of the proceedings.

Enjoy your shaves, Gents! :coffee:

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Personna (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in Pure
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Executive Man

Sunday, that would be the day to change blades (getting into the habit now) although it does seem odd to throw out a blade with use left :(

Anyway, nice shave with the D R Harris - great lather and finished with the Exec Man - hmmmm.

3aab538ba1dc97ab5f5a0347b5a130fd.jpg

Sunday morning shave
Pre: Top Seven emulsion
Brush: SOC
Soap: Mystic Waters Bay Rum
Razor: HG Razor Custom kamisori
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Stirling Bay Rum

Fantastic lather delivered by Mystic Waters. Once you have great lather, you will have a great shave. Finished off with the excellent Stirling Bay Rum splash. Wonderful Sunday shave.

20161909_SOTDSSepia_zpstrqjisiz.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cyprusian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Doug Korn Epsilong 2-band
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Big night out yesterday, so went today with the full automatic setup :D

Wonderful shave which was definitely aided by the great lather (picture here) - ready for the meet-up - enjoy your Sunday (y)

Nice shave again @Korbz!

What's the spec on that funky looking Shavemac if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks and don't mind at all mate. 2-band silvertip 25mm @ 50mm loft (actual width at exposed base is closer to 26.3). Very nice, not what I would call gel tips (not that I've have had them before), but nothing that I would say is harsh like scritch.

6a03736a313907d34dae4a64a282d960.jpg

Brush: Plisson HMW
Razor: Laurel
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword
Soap: LpL
A/S: Real Shaving Balm
Cologne: GFT Wellington

First time using the Laurel razor. Very aggressive but managed a blood free BBS with a very light approach. New blade needed for tomorrow after mangling this one to fit the Laurel.

Pre Shave: - Simpsons Pre shave Oil
Razor: - Wahl Shavette
Blade: - Feather (2)
Brush: - Razorock Synth
Soap/Cream: - WashPool farms
Post Shave: - SH barbershop

Was a great shave, learning to face lather does definitely make a difference, nick free shave. Like the oil so far, but will compate against the Myrsol emulsion & Razorock Pre shave gel. Washpool is a great soap too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.