Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: EJ DE86 + TSW "Bren" handle
Blade: Polsilver Iridium
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum and TSW After Balm

Received my blades from TryaBlade on Friday, and thought I'd try the Polsilver Iridium as I've been using the Polsilver SS recently.

It's only the first shave, but what an impressive blade. Very smooth, very sharp, very comfortable. Sliced through the 2 1/2 day growth effortlessly. Reminds me a lot of the GSB. Early call, but this was one of my top 5 shaves. If I can get 3-4-5 good shaves from it, it's a keeper.

Sunday 9 October 2016

SOTD-09102016.jpg

Traveling with a Mastro Livi Grifetto Mother of Pearl

Every time I travel and I take with me one of my three Mastro Livi Grifetto razors, I always end up thinking Grifetto is a great solution for traveling. Not to mention Mastro Livi loom strop which perfectly fits to my luggage. Grifetto has a super sharp and long lasting edge, you simply need to strop it with your hand palm and the razor is ready to give you a luxurious shave. I am very happy to own three of them and this time I took with me the one with mother of pearl scales, so beautiful to look at. Another good performing shave tool is Omega Professional 48 shave brush, in my opinion one of the very best bristle shave brush around. As for the soap, the super classic Tcheon Fung Sing "Barbe Rosse" proves to be a very good, yet very cheap, shaving soap providing a super luxurious lather and excellent glide to the razor. The finishing touch has been given by Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla aftershave, although I do not like its fragrance that much, it however is a very good aftershave and you can tell it has more alcohol than most of the other aftershave lotions.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Barbe Rosse
  • Brush: Omega Professional 48
  • Bowl: Chinese Stainless Steel Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto Mother of Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

KDE6Kqm.jpg

Pre: Occam's Original Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London 26mm Silvertip
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Soap: Mystic Waters - White Tea & Ginger
After: Balm
Splash: Beaver Woodright - Shipwreck Cove
Tea: 2011 Fujian Province (Aged) 'White Peony'

I tend towards collecting and obtaining a variety of Chinese whole leaf teas and on average keep around 16-20 of various origins and values, the peony pictured is around $110.00 for the cake (200 grams) and is pressed whole leaf that is somewhat cured. Some of the silver needle white tea I really enjoy is far more costly and difficult to obtain, running to $90 plus for 28 grams. Such a 'white' is picked by hand on 1 or 2 days of the year prior to dawn where oxidation occurs when the fine, fresh shoots lose their appeal or more rightly gain flavour and scent attributes considered undesirable. Not at all related to shaving, other than the great sample received recently from Michelle at Mystic Water: White Tea and Ginger.

A sweet ginger and white tea scent from the soap that is both sweet,complex, very esoteric and immediately desirable as a collector and drinker of Chinese teas. I often feel like a subtle, different scent even with a large collection of soaps - most of which are strong. Matching the scent profile of the soap to a splash has been a struggle, and I am currently looking at essential oils to make a batch up myself or having one prepared to order. The usual almonds worth made a mountain of thick, glossy lather with a very, very good post shave feel as is expected from Mystic Water Soaps. A touch of after-balm to sooth the skin then a generous application of Shipwreck cove with its very subtle Bay Rum, Clove, lime and Ginger notes sitting on top of the proceedings.

Enjoy your shaves, Gents! :coffee:
Very interesting post on tea and wet shaving.

ALICWHX.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime
Doug Korn D7 TGN
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Dr Jon's - Savannah Sunrise
Shaver Heaven - Summer Breeze
Dr Jon's Savannah Sunrise

Weatherman suggesting a high of 33C today, felt like a great excuse to break out the Dr Jon's!

Have great shaves Gentlemen :)

ALICWHX.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime
Doug Korn D7 TGN
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Dr Jon's - Savannah Sunrise
Shaver Heaven - Summer Breeze
Dr Jon's Savannah Sunrise

Weatherman suggesting a high of 33C today, felt like a great excuse to break out the Dr Jon's!

Have great shaves Gentlemen :)
Stellar (y)

Monday morning wake up shave!
Razor: Merkur 33C
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Simpson Rover
Soap: Yeti snot
Aftershave: Fine Snakebite
Balm: TSW After balm
Yeti snot might not be the greatest soap but a cold water rinse certainly wakes you after your shave which is exactly what I needed this morning.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Personna (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Fine Shaving Soaps - L'Orange Noir
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu
Cologne: Terre d'Hermès

Thanks again to @stillshunter for the Fine and Terre d'Hermès samples (y) What an enabler you are!

The Fine soap lathers very easily and produces a rich, protective lather. The B&M splash is great - so moisturisng and nourishing, the Terre d'Hermès cologne a nice way to finish.

Great back to work Monday shave :)

SOTOD:

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: The Stray Whisker 452/28 Synthetic Brush
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Coconut Sandalwood
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Cologne: Chrome by Azzaro
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm, cologne

Finally I got great lather from Mystic Water, yet I still think the effort for getting there is way too much for weekday. Save it for weekends :)

SOTD:

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: The Stray Whisker 452/28 Synthetic Brush
Soap/Cream: The Shaving Shop - Casablanca
A/S: Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, splash, dry skin, balm

This Charky's soap has the same high butter formula as the Crown King ones - easy to lather, shaving and feeling is great.

The Fine soap lathers very easily and produces a rich, protective lather. The B&M splash is great - so moisturisng and nourishing, the Terre d'Hermès cologne a nice way to finish.
Could not agree more, I have been using the American Barbershop and was so impressed I ordered Green Vetiver just the other day. A really good soap for the money.
Totally agree. Fine soaps are on top of my personal list.

Does anyone know who is producing these soaps for FA and if they have any similar soaps?

Does anyone know who is producing these soaps for FA and if they have any similar soaps?

Fine has their soaps specially produced in Holland nowadays made to their own specific ratios, they did a brief run through RazoRock who uses any number of soap producers (mostly in Italy) and fortunately they did not continue the relationship.

Finally I got great lather from Mystic Water, yet I still think the effort for getting there is way too much for weekday. Save it for weekends

Good to hear you got it dialed in :)

KDE6Kqm.jpg

Pre: Occam's Original Pre-Shave Soap
Brush: St James of London 26mm Silvertip
Razor: ATT Colossus R1
Blade: Feather
Soap: Mystic Waters - White Tea & Ginger
After: Balm
Splash: Beaver Woodright - Shipwreck Cove
Tea: 2011 Fujian Province (Aged) 'White Peony'

I tend towards collecting and obtaining a variety of Chinese whole leaf teas and on average keep around 16-20 of various origins and values, the peony pictured is around $110.00 for the cake (200 grams) and is pressed whole leaf that is somewhat cured. Some of the silver needle white tea I really enjoy is far more costly and difficult to obtain, running to $90 plus for 28 grams. Such a 'white' is picked by hand on 1 or 2 days of the year prior to dawn where oxidation occurs when the fine, fresh shoots lose their appeal or more rightly gain flavour and scent attributes considered undesirable. Not at all related to shaving, other than the great sample received recently from Michelle at Mystic Water: White Tea and Ginger.

A sweet ginger and white tea scent from the soap that is both sweet,complex, very esoteric and immediately desirable as a collector and drinker of Chinese teas. I often feel like a subtle, different scent even with a large collection of soaps - most of which are strong. Matching the scent profile of the soap to a splash has been a struggle, and I am currently looking at essential oils to make a batch up myself or having one prepared to order. The usual almonds worth made a mountain of thick, glossy lather with a very, very good post shave feel as is expected from Mystic Water Soaps. A touch of after-balm to sooth the skin then a generous application of Shipwreck cove with its very subtle Bay Rum, Clove, lime and Ginger notes sitting on top of the proceedings.

Enjoy your shaves, Gents! :coffee:
Very interesting @todras - your tea tasting experience probably helps explains your excellent shaving soap and fragrance reviews ! Great work!!

Pre: Occams Lime (this soap just keeps on going!!) & Prorasso Red
Soap: MWF - oh the residual glide on this stuff!
Razor: Hoshi Tombo 8000
Brush: Custom Shavemac 2 band. (HOOKED TIPS!!!)

I continue to struggle getting close enough (BBS!) under my chin so skipped Sundays shave to study the growth pattern again. After double checking the pass directions, I decided to go for a fourth pass today - WTG, XTG - L, XTG - R, ATG but in order to not over do it, making sure I do not go over the same area twice in one pass as I usually do.

Result was excellent over all, and better on the neck where the growth is left to right down low making it very hard to get to. No additional irritation on the neck (always have some), skin feel is amazing, soft and smooth. Tomorrow I might do the same again but skip the ATG on those hard neck areas and see what the result is.

I continue to struggle getting close enough (BBS!) under my chin so skipped Sundays shave to study the growth pattern again. After double checking the pass directions, I decided to go for a fourth pass today - WTG, XTG - L, XTG - R, ATG but in order to not over do it, making sure I do not go over the same area twice in one pass as I usually do.
I also had issues with BBS on the neck and I also ended up with four passes WTG (from the front to back), XTG (up), XTG (down), ATG (back to front) while on cheeks I'm doing three passes with BBS.

I also find that if I lather neck at first (before cheeks) and shaving last (after cheeks) then I'm getting better results. The idea is to keep lather as long as possible to soften the beard.

Date: 10 October 2016

Pre-Shave: - Shower & Musgo Real Classic Scent Pre-Shave Oil Soap
Brush: - Whipped Dog Silvertip in Resin Handle 24/48mm
Lather: - The Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream
Razor: - Merkur 25C OC with a Weber Razor Classic Handle
Blade: - Ladas Super Stainless #1
Post Shave: - Alum Block / Nivea Original Aftershave Splash & Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: - Acqua Di Gio EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.