Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
14657432_1126498374124865_2685977481928838828_n.jpg

Pre: Nil
Soap: Mystic Waters - Lemongrass & Blue Gum (love the strong lemon with menthol here!)
Brush: Shavemac Custom 2 Band
Blade: Hosi Tombo 8000
And so we come full circle. Again? After discussion of drying skin - lets call a spade a spade - xerosis, and the fact that the pre products I have been using I know don't work but use them anyway, I decided not to use them - durr. So a quick, cool soapless shower to wake up (yes I used soap last night!) and dive straight into a face lather. Two pass shave (WTG, ATG) pat dry and done.

Result? DFS+. Almost as good as the four pass shave I have been experimenting with this week and more than good enough for a work day. After 45min I could feel the tell tail tightening of my cheeks and that slight pain with a big smile but not as bad as previous that has seen me doing two or three applications of a balm. So I threw on the aftershave. Two hours later my face is just fine and dandy, soft, pleasant, and smelling sweetly.

So;
Prorasso Red preshave: I'm just going to bin you. Why use you when you do nothing.
Myrsol Antisol: I'm undecided. I do love how you smell, and how you make my skin feel so I will try you out tomorrow (no A/S on a Sat) and see if you keep the xerosis at bay as effectively as PAA has done. If not, you're going on the BST.
TSW After Balm: I have two tubes of you... I might keep you for non A/S days. With the methol and alcohol included you are not suitable for night time use.
Shaver Heaven Balm: You have been awesome for pre-bed application and that's where you'll stay.
Thayers WH: Bin for you... waste of time and money.
Alum Block: Never liked you anyway... you can stay in the drawer for some reason. I a styptic pencil but anyway.
Occams Pre-shave Soap: You are a great soap, so I will use you as that but not as part of my shave routine.

I use the SH Balms for the same application.
The other balm I use for night time is the Muhle Sea Buckthorn.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on 'Bren' SS Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Personna (7)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: B&M Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: B&M Cologne Russe Tonique Splash

Take home consitutional law exam this weekend - needed to get off to a good start and @Barrister & Mann doesn't disappoint as usual!

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Shavemac 2 Band 24mm
Soap: Mystic Waters Lemongrass and Blue Gum
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable (7)
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (3)
After-shave: Myrsol Agua de Limon

A lovely shave. The soap has only a hint of menthol and a great fresh scent. The 2 Band hasn't been getting much use recently, but it still is a tremendous brush - super soft with plenty of backbone. I would love to try this knot in a bigger size.

fkAxhxN.jpg

La Toja Pre-Shave
Doug Korn D7 TGN
iKON 101
Feather
Barrister & Mann - Cheshire
Geo F Trumper - West Indian Lime Skin Food
Chatillon Lux - La Forêt de Liguest
Beaver Woodwright - Shipwreck Cove

Take home consitutional law exam this weekend - needed to get off to a good start

You lucky bastard, there is no need to gloat General.

We spend years studying that area, only to be repeatedly tested on it and then never use it ever again.

Hit me up if you need special counsel on the brief, my rates are thoroughly reasonable!

You lucky bastard, there is no need to gloat General.

We spend years studying that area, only to be repeatedly tested on it and then never use it ever again.

Hit me up if you need special counsel on the brief, my rates are thoroughly reasonable!

I know - lucky me :)

I appreciate the offer but am not sure it would be within the Academic Integrity rules.

EDIT: Years? We cover all of the 'Priestly' subjects in 3 week intensive units :eek: The joys of post-grad study.

20161015_SOTDSSepia_zpswrdjuk4v.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Weber PH UFO Titan L
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band
Lather: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Finally a beautiful weekend here! I knew I wanted to just enjoy the shave, so none of that funny shavette business. Just one of my favourite razors, with a very special handle, some Mike's and just to be a pork chop: my 30mm brush :D :D :D

And what a joyful shave it was - the Mike's Hungarian Lavender is not only one of my favourite scents - it produces a spectacular lather (picture here). 4 great passes lather and I had a silky smooth and very happy face - hope you all have a fantastic weekend (y)

Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: New toy - TSW 452/28 Synth
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum and TSW After Balm
A/S: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Was up to the 3rd shave with the Polsilver SI in the EJ DE86, but swapped to a new blade in the Standard to Christen the 452 brush.

Got it all wrong with the brush to start with since I'm used to the Badger. I think I left the brush too dry. Loaded up with plenty of soap, but took forever to get the lather happening. After adding heaps of water slowly, I then ended up with enough lather for about 3 people...big brush. Big Brush. BIG. BRUSH. I'll need a bit more practice with this one.
Great face feel, noticeabley more backbone compared to my badger, holds a ginormous amount of lather in the brush.

I think I was focussed on the brush, not the shave, but ended up with a DFS although I scored a few little weepers. A bit of sting when I used the alum this time, oh yes! :eek:

20161015_SOTDSSepia_zpswrdjuk4v.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Weber PH UFO Titan L
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band
Lather: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Finally a beautiful weekend here! I knew I wanted to just enjoy the shave, so none of that funny shavette business. Just one of my favourite razors, with a very special handle, some Mike's and just to be a pork chop: my 30mm brush :D :D :D

And what a joyful shave it was - the Mike's Hungarian Lavender is not only one of my favourite scents - it produces a spectacular lather (picture here). 4 great passes lather and I had a silky smooth and very happy face - hope you all have a fantastic weekend (y)

Quite simply superb.

Beautiful photography and an impeccable selection of items.

That brush is for pork-chops, if I used it I would suffocate as it would cover my entire face though. :whistle:

Quite simply superb.

Beautiful photography and an impeccable selection of items.

That brush is for pork-chops, if I used it I would suffocate as it would cover my entire face though. :whistle:

Thank you @todras - I love to be suffocated by pork chops :D :D :D

Full_Size_Render_5.jpg

Pre - Hot towel
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - B&M Leviathan
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post Shave - Alum, TSW After Balm

It’s been a hell of a week, but trying these B&M soaps has been a real pleasure!
Top shave with the Leviathan this morning. I definitely get the coffee notes, the leather and sandalwood don’t seem as strong. It’s only my first go with it though.
Barrister & Mann soap with The Stray Whisker After Balm is a killer combo, I can see why they are so popular here!

Really enjoyable 2 passes with my Sonnal 6/8".
The Rubberset I renovated with the 20mm pure/best badger knot is excellent. I also made a new soap which is extremely hard yet lathers fine, I will post details of it in the next couple of days. It worked very well.
Finished with Macadamia nut oil with a goodly dash of Lemon Myrtle.

PGzxu79.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime
St James of London 26mm Silvertip
ATT Colossus R1
Feather Blade
Mystic Waters - Orange Spice Tea
Stirling - Piacenza Post Shave Balm
Chatillon Lux - Fourth & Pine
Stirling - Piacenza Aftershave Splash

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Aftershave

Wanted a change of razor and saw the Weber.

Thought to myself , 'Hmmm, I think I might sell this now I have that NEW head on the Bren - will give it one more run before I clean up and sell ...'

Great shave - why would I sell that razor?

The SV was sensational as always.

Happy Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.