Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first shave with my Feather Artist Club DX non-folding today.
Hot shower
Palmolive shave stick
Body Shop brush (soon to be upgraded but it has been my daily driver for over 10 years now!)
KAI Mild Blade - Guarded
Cold rinse - Bulldog Original Balm

For someone who has only ever wet shaved with disposables before, this was a bit daunting but I was impressed. It took a long time with multiple re-applications of the lather but that was mostly navigating my chin - particularly my dimple! And my natural caution knowing that I was effectively shaving with a scalpel...

Everything else was relatively simple and had good feel. A couple of very small weepers but they dried up before the end of the shave. Due to the reputation of this razor online, I started with an extremely light touch, which I actually had to increase just a little bit because it wasn't enough. The razor has a bit of heft and a nice balance to it so it's easy to control. A couple of places where I went ATG or with multiple XTG passes were BBS but the rest where I wasn't game were CCS. Not bad for a first effort! Looking forward to improving my technique this razor... Hoping that this wasn't just beginner's luck!

Woo.. might have to get some EDC. Although the A/S does last quite a long time... almost the entire day.

@Sxot I'm also aware the Tabac aftershave lotion still gave me a bloody good sting and nearly knock my head right off after my shave, I had to wait about 35sec for the sting to settle down before I apply the Tabac aftershave balm.

Last edited:
Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Shavemac Americana 24mm D01 3 Band
Soap: Mystic Waters Jasmine
Razor: Fatboy (7)
Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
After-shave: Myrsol Plastic Shave

BBS but a little rough tonight. Possibly due to the blade getting old, or the 3 glasses of Pinot I had with dinner. The MW Jasmine has an amazing scent. Maybe a bit too floral for some, but I'm a fan.

Pre Shave: - Razorock Gel
Razor: - TSW .303 Shavette
Blade: - Feather (4-5)
Brush: - TSW Synth
Soap/Cream: - Razorock Don (Care of @Rami's PIF, thank you again kind sir)
Post Shave: - TSW balm

Really getting the hang of the face lather, makes a huge difference with the shavette. Really coming around to the .303, starting to really get a handle on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Benjamin how do you do you heat your hot towel?
Hi @vanNek
I have a face-washer towel which I fold into a sort of roll, then run it under very hot water.
I then squeeze out a lot, but not all of the water, unroll the towel and that's it!

Sometimes after one application to my face, I might squeeze out all of the now cooled water do it all again, because the heat doesn't last that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
f63a9804933c6e98ca6e30028df789c7.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: Crown King Rustler's Ridge
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (2)
A/S: Crown King Rustler's Ridge

First post for a while due to a wee accident that resulted in 3 broken ribs. On the mend now.
First use of the Crown King Rustler's Ridge after a recommendation from @shavetheman. Very impressed with the soap. It is veg, and it would seem relies on Kokum Butter as a key ingredient. The lather was very rich and long-lasting, and had good glide and slickness. I really like the scent - they are aiming at a prickly pear desert vibe, and pull it off really well. Same goes for the matching after shave.
3 pass shave - very close and comfortable. A couple of tiny weepers on the neck.
Also gave Con's After Balm a run. Very nice - subtle almond scent, and great face feel.
That brush looks a fair sized "weapon". Looks to be a packed knot.

That brush looks a fair sized "weapon". Looks to be a packed knot.

G'day Dale - the H3 flies under the radar, but it is a wonderful brush. Very soft bristles, but more than sufficient backbone.

Razor: Gillette Sensor Cartridge holder
Blade: OEM Sensor Cartridge (?)
Brush: Muhle Travel Brush (Synthetic)
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Shave Stick
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Arzark Mountains Balm

Early morning flight from Newcastle to Melbourne means early morning shave. Certainly much better than I recall from last time I was travelling - amazing what a difference some balm will make :)

Happy Hump Day gents

Rockwell #2
GSB (1)
Labelle Tobac Vanille
Shavemac 25mm custom
Thayers, myrsol f/extra and L'occitane tobacco

Have stayed away from the GSB for quite some time, as wasn't a fan. Thought I'd give it another go this morning and it went quite well. Can tell it's sharper than what I usually use (a fraction).

Second shave with the Feather Artist Club DX non folding.
Wanted to control as many variables as possible so as to just focus on technique so had the same setup as before - Kai guarded blade, shower prep, palmolive stick, body shop brush, cold rinse and Bulldog original balm.
Didn't have as much time as yesterday so went for fewer passes - one in some tricky places and two in the rest. Got a CCS / DFS in about 20 minutes and only one tiny weeper that really isn't worth mentioning - sealed up straight away.
Very happy so far with this razor - particularly when I've only used disposables before. Again, spent by far the most time on my lower chin. The rest of my face was comparatively easy. Just quite difficult to judge the right pressure / stroke length on bits of my chin. A lot of the time I also think nothing is really happening but then at the end you can see it actually was quite a close shave. But then there are other bits I missed which I thought were OK - there is still quite a lot to learn!
Here's hoping that my luck continues to last... really enjoying it so far.

e62c8222e5aee59a9bbeedf74bb33a8f.jpg

Pre - Hot towel
Brush - Muhle Travel Brush
Soap - B&M Leviathan
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Rapira Chrome (1)
Post Shave - Alum, TSW After Balm

I was impressed with the Rapira Chrome blade as reviewed by @Korbz .
Sharp, very smooth and available from The Stray Whisker. What's not to like? (y)

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 20 October 2016

Brush: - Whipped Dog Silvertip in Resin Handle 24/48mm
Lather: - La Toja Shaving Soap Stick
Razor: - Fatip OC with a The Stray Whisker Howitzer Handle
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #1
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Speick Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Intense EDT

Rockwell #2
GSB (1)
Labelle Tobac Vanille
Shavemac 25mm custom
Thayers, myrsol f/extra and L'occitane tobacco

Have stayed away from the GSB for quite some time, as wasn't a fan. Thought I'd give it another go this morning and it went quite well. Can tell it's sharper than what I usually use (a fraction).
I find the GSB works really well for me in my Rockwell

3ae746a73b92853e5ce8b7bb91407c2e.jpg

Brush: Omega 10066
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: British Personna
Soap: Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest
A/S: GFT Skinfood

Lovely shave with Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest, fortunately I managed to score another after @Anthony's sad announcement.
First use of the Omega 10066, very nice brush although the boar pong is really strong out of the box and despite several test lathers with Arko still very much there.

1ae9d28c8a4eeb5bde3a3293ef03eeed.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: B&M Seville
Razor: Leresche #77
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (1)
A/S: B&M Reserve Classic

First shave with the Leresche #77 generously passed around by @filibiblic. Paired it with a NOS vintage Gillette Super Silver blade. Went slow and careful since coming from the AS-D2, which is very forgiving. The Leresche was a delight to use - it paired beautifully with the vintage blade and B&M Tallow soap for a very close shave. Whilst there was clearly more blade feel with the Leresche, it felt precise in operation and the feedback was improved compared to the AS-D2. One small nick on my chin, and a couple of weepers on the neck, all of which were quickly dismissed during the post-shave routine.
I did something unusual for me in this process and applied the B&M Reserve Aftershave splash immediately after the shave. My skin is typically too sensitive to handle alcohol splashes immediately post-shave, but I had read that the B&M Reserve range were very skin friendly in this regard. Sure enough, the splash went on with only very minor sting, and the face feel was excellent.
All things considered, a stellar shave!

Status
Not open for further replies.