PisNPiX.jpg

Occam's Crush Lime Pre Shave Soap
St James Of London 26mm Silvertip
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Occam's Crushed Lime Shave Cream
Geo F Trumper - West Indian Limes Skin Food
Beaver Woodwright - Captain Scurvey

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle & Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Cilmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: Klars Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co - Executive Man

Bit of a 'shave off' this morning - two razors, one side of the face each. Both did well and I'm not sure that there was a clear 'winner'.

Enjoy your Friday guys :)

1ae9d28c8a4eeb5bde3a3293ef03eeed.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: B&M Seville
Razor: Leresche #77
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (1)
A/S: B&M Reserve Classic

First shave with the Leresche #77 generously passed around by @filibiblic. Paired it with a NOS vintage Gillette Super Silver blade. Went slow and careful since coming from the AS-D2, which is very forgiving. The Leresche was a delight to use - it paired beautifully with the vintage blade and B&M Tallow soap for a very close shave. Whilst there was clearly more blade feel with the Leresche, it felt precise in operation and the feedback was improved compared to the AS-D2. One small nick on my chin, and a couple of weepers on the neck, all of which were quickly dismissed during the post-shave routine.
I did something unusual for me in this process and applied the B&M Reserve Aftershave splash immediately after the shave. My skin is typically too sensitive to handle alcohol splashes immediately post-shave, but I had read that the B&M Reserve range were very skin friendly in this regard. Sure enough, the splash went on with only very minor sting, and the face feel was excellent.
All things considered, a stellar shave!

An adventurous shave! A few "new" variables thrown into the shave and she comes up a winner. [emoji106]
Glad your face survived both the monster-gapped razor and alcohol splash. Happy shaves!

Third shave with the knife this morning.
As per previous:
Feather Artist Club DX Non-Folding, Kai Guarded Blade (3rd use), Shower Prep, Palmolive stick, Body Shop Brush, Bulldog Balm

As the shave wasn't as close yesterday, I had a bit more stubble to work with.
No weepers at all this time. No cuts.
WTG then ATG passes on sides / cheeks / neck with a BBS result there! Going ATG I laid the blade almost flat and stretched the skin more than before - result was fantastic!
Took a lot less time around the chin - getting more confident using the point of the blade to dig around that area (my chin has lots of angles). Still only a SAS result there and on the lower neck - need more time to get those areas right.
All up took 20 minutes, which I am very happy with. I had heard horror stories about how long people were taking to shave with these.
A slight tingle from the balm today but to be expected given the amateurish hacking that my face has been subjected to this week...

Things I am finding:
- Stretch that skin more! It actually makes me wonder whether doing the same with disposables would improve that result too. In each shave so far I have had a time when the blade has "caught" on the skin - but only when I hadn't been diligent about stretching the skin. Never got a cut although I suspect it was only the guarded blade that saved me...
- Very light touch but with short, quick strokes - going slowly makes it more difficult to get the weighting right. Combined with the above point it works really well and is quicker!
- A slight slide in the pass where possible like a slant DE would achieve seems to improve the result even more.
- It's odd - it always feels like you could still take more off with another pass while you're actually shaving but then at the end of the shave you realise it's BBS anyway. I suspect that stretching the skin makes the whiskers effectively stick out more while shaving and then retract again when you've finished. You can always hear it cutting, even if you can't always feel it!

Anyway, in case you can't tell I'm very happy with this razor - can't stop stroking my face this morning...!

Third shave with the knife this morning.
As per previous:
Feather Artist Club DX Non-Folding, Kai Guarded Blade (3rd use), Shower Prep, Palmolive stick, Body Shop Brush, Bulldog Balm

As the shave wasn't as close yesterday, I had a bit more stubble to work with.
No weepers at all this time. No cuts.
WTG then ATG passes on sides / cheeks / neck with a BBS result there! Going ATG I laid the blade almost flat and stretched the skin more than before - result was fantastic!
Took a lot less time around the chin - getting more confident using the point of the blade to dig around that area (my chin has lots of angles). Still only a SAS result there and on the lower neck - need more time to get those areas right.
All up took 20 minutes, which I am very happy with. I had heard horror stories about how long people were taking to shave with these.
A slight tingle from the balm today but to be expected given the amateurish hacking that my face has been subjected to this week...

Things I am finding:
- Stretch that skin more! It actually makes me wonder whether doing the same with disposables would improve that result too. In each shave so far I have had a time when the blade has "caught" on the skin - but only when I hadn't been diligent about stretching the skin. Never got a cut although I suspect it was only the guarded blade that saved me...
- Very light touch but with short, quick strokes - going slowly makes it more difficult to get the weighting right. Combined with the above point it works really well and is quicker!
- A slight slide in the pass where possible like a slant DE would achieve seems to improve the result even more.
- It's odd - it always feels like you could still take more off with another pass while you're actually shaving but then at the end of the shave you realise it's BBS anyway. I suspect that stretching the skin makes the whiskers effectively stick out more while shaving and then retract again when you've finished. You can always hear it cutting, even if you can't always feel it!

Anyway, in case you can't tell I'm very happy with this razor - can't stop stroking my face this morning...!
Great progress Razorplay!
I'm still working up to my first straight - you mention " slight slide in the pass" - isn't that supposed to be a no-no? I thought horizontal movement of the blade = ouch!

An adventurous shave! A few "new" variables thrown into the shave and she comes up a winner. [emoji106]
Glad your face survived both the monster-gapped razor and alcohol splash. Happy shaves!
Fab Fil - I wasn't exactly holding my breath, but I can assure you that I was concentrating fully throughout the shave ;)

I'm still working up to my first straight - you mention " slight slide in the pass" - isn't that supposed to be a no-no? I thought horizontal movement of the blade = ouch!

Dunno - I'm no expert! I've only tried a very slight diagonal pass. Certainly horizontal movement on its own would definitely draw blood but I remember reading about the slight diagonal somewhere and it worked well on this shave...

Well there is perpendicular pass, where the edge is 90° to the direction of travel, and the other extreme is a "horizontal" as you call it where the edge is parallel with the direction of travel. The later is a guaranteed cut as you say, but the danger only increases gradually as you move from 90° down to 0°. It happens that the most efficient way to cut something with a knife is to have the edge on a angle. The reason is there is more of the blade exposed to the object being cut. This is why the edge on a guillotine is on an angle. So, aim to pitch the edge on an angle to the direction of travel, say 15-25°. This also works well with a DE.

Note the arrows indicating direction of travel of the blade;
22224d1237768609-blade-angle-scything-motion-scything.png

20161021_SOTDSGraphNovel_zpsigyrphtn.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Heavenly shave today - I am still sometimes surprised how thirsty Mike's can me - and the resulting lather was simply superb (picture here) - I hope you all have a great weekend ahead (y)

Well there is perpendicular pass, where the edge is 90° to the direction of travel, and the other extreme is a "horizontal" as you call it where the edge is parallel with the direction of travel. The later is a guaranteed cut as you say, but the danger only increases gradually as you move from 90° down to 0°. It happens that the most efficient way to cut something with a knife is to have the edge on a angle. The reason is there is more of the blade exposed to the object being cut. This is why the edge on a guillotine is on an angle. So, aim to pitch the edge on an angle to the direction of travel, say 15-25°. This also works well with a DE.

Note the arrows indicating direction of travel of the blade;
22224d1237768609-blade-angle-scything-motion-scything.png
I see what you mean now - i misunderstood direction of travel. I guess its a bit like a slant DE razor.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (6)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Lilith
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu
Cologne: Miller Harris Feuilles de tabac

Board training day in Sydney - up and back. Have to look my 'best' as it is being videoed :eek:

Better go and learn what I will be speaking on ...

GRcelC0.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre Shave
Simpson CH1 SB
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood
Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food
Reef Point Earl Grey & Ginger

edit** Sorry about the Pork Chop Image size, imgur is on the fritz

Last edited:
Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 3 Band
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: iKon DLC Slant
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (2)
After-shave: Alum, Thayer's, PAA Deja Fougere

This brush still needs breaking in, but is getting there. Still a little scritch in the centre (which may not go away) but it creates awesome lather. When used with painting strokes it is perfectly soft. It is incredibly well stuffed and, although I thought I didn't like scrub or scritch, it's a brush I find myself choosing over the cloud like softness of a Thater say.
Not sure what the difference is between the DLC Slant and the X3, but I do know that, when I get the angle right, the DLC shaves almost as close as an R41. Today was such a day.(y):)

Status
Not open for further replies.