Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you finding the wilkies ? Are they the same ones you sent me a time back ?

They are a nice smooth blade, not too sharp, about 7 days really does them for me.

I can't recall the ones I sent you but I don't think I have a lot of these so it was probably the 'French' ones in the brown pack. Very similar

Fourth shave with my Feather today. Prep and post the same as previous.

Difference this time was I hadn't shaved over the weekend so had a three day growth. With the stubble so visible, it was easier to see what the blade was doing. That first WTG pass was just amazing - it sliced through that growth like it just wasn't there. I've never experienced that before. If anything, shaving multi-day stubble is now easier than a daily shave. No more clogged razors - woohoo! They were seriously the bane of my existence - I used to hate having to shave more than a day's growth. Now it is a pleasure!

Was pushed for time (need to get up earlier...) so just a quick two passes and a DFS result, other than a couple of places I should have touched up. A couple of tiny weepers that dried before the end of the shave. My chin still takes awhile, which means I have to relather within the same pass. Getting quicker all the time though - just don't want to push it too fast and cut myself!

GI7Ephi.jpg

SOTD (24/10/2016)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (2nd use)
Brush: Panta Rei Custom Manchurian
Soap/Cream: TOBS Mr. Taylors
AS: Thayer’s Cucumber/B&M Reserve Spice
Balm: Proraso White
Fragrance: L’Occitane L’Occitan EDT

99d89c0a123abf66f120de925cb0447f.jpg

Brush: Thater 4125/1
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: Treet Platinum (2)
Soap: P&B Spitfire
A/S: Fine Clean Vetiver

Excellent first go with the Thater, soft, good backbone and lathers up with ridiculous ease. Very happy.
Pretty certain I'll have finished the Spitfire by the end of the week, a great soap with excellent scent but with 2 other Phoenix and Beau soaps plus one on the way I think it'll be a while before it gets replaced.

Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SI (4?)
Brush: TSW 452/28 Synth
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum and TSW After Balm
A/S: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Lost track with the blade count, but fairly sure this was #4. Getting a lot better with the 452/28, but have to leave it a lot wetter than the badger brush. The Latha is also very forgiving of too much water, and lets you work it up from the too-runny stage to a decent lather without fuss. The brush itself just holds a ridiculous amount of lather!

Still pulling a DFS with the Polsilver, certainly at least one more in it if I want to keep going with it. Seems to be well suited to the standard razor.

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: B&M Barristers Reserve Cool

HUGE thanks to @todras for the samples of the Barristers Reserve. Mrs Mark1966 like all of them as did I in many ways, complex and different, multi-layered and interesting in @Barrister & Mann's usual style. Not much in the longevity stakes but that could just be me.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 25 October 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: - Fatip OC with a The Stray Whisker Howitzer Handle
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #3
Post Shave: - Speick Aftershave Splash / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Original EDT

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Polsilver Si (6)
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Proraso Green

Been absent for a little while. Back with a vengeance now! The Polsilver Si seems to be a very good blade for me.
I thought the GSB's were a nice blade, but with the Polsilver it's like there isn't even a blade in the X3.
Super smooth and really comfortable. Will have to convince Mrs Normie to let me get a thousand (or so) before they disappear...

Pre: Shower / hot towel
Razor: Artist Club DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded Blade
Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
Soap: Palmolive Stick

Fifth shave with my Feather today (thanks @Draco Noir!). Got up earlier and had more time so went for the full 3 pass shave with touchups. DFS result all around, including my chin, which I'm getting much better at. One tiny nick on my cheek when I was working on my mo with the heel of the blade and wasn't watching what was happening with the point. Nothing that lasted past the end of the shave though. The blade has become a bit more mild and easier to work with (although that could just be me getting used to it) but still slices very cleanly.

Really just wanted to focus on technique with "feather" touch and the right angles and not worry about the result. I've introduced a face washer into the mix - for pre hot soak, wiping the blade and post cold soak. Works a treat! Much better and quicker wiping the blade properly like this than waving it around in the sink or under the tap.

The thing I'm most happy about is that after a week of shaving like this, the irritation on my lower neck has gone. That has always previously been there (for 25 years!) no matter what I did with electrics, disposables etc. I even grew a four month beard once (looked like alfredus' avatar) to see if that would help but it returned with the first shave back. I first noticed on the weekend that my skin in that area looked normal - I can hardly recognise myself!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 25 October 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: - Fatip OC with a The Stray Whisker Howitzer Handle
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #3
Post Shave: - Speick Aftershave Splash / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss Original EDT
Superb blade and razor combination. What is the weight of that handle? I'm still looking for a replacement handle for my Fatip as I'm not to please with the original handle. The finish is a bit on the rough side.

Superb blade and razor combination. What is the weight of that handle? I'm still looking for a replacement handle for my Fatip as I'm not to please with the original handle. The finish is a bit on the rough side.

@Bles FYI below ;)

The handle list below that does attached to the Fatip Grande & Piccolo:-
iKon OSS Handle 80g
iKon Bulldog Handle 75g
iKon Bamboo Handle 75g
iKon Matte Special Edition Handle 90g
The Stray Whisker Howitzer Handle 80g
Weber Razor Classic Handle 70g

The handle list below that doesn't attached to the Fatip Grande & Piccolo:-
All Maggard Razor Handles
The Stray Whisker Long Tack Sam Handle 95g
Weber Razor Wave Handle 63g