Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pair it with L'Occitane's Baux EdT

No. It's a 22mm ShaveMac 2-band.

But they both have gel tips that characteristically clump together.

Here's a photo of comparison with wet tips (TSW on top; SM on bottom).
MMLku0ol.jpg
Wow they do look very similar. I love my Shavemac brushes. How would you rate the TSW brush in comparison to the Shavemac @filobiblic?

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch SimpsonH2 boar
Soap/Cream: Martin de Candre
Aftershave: B&M Barristers Reserve Spice

Nice lather from the MdC as usual - it deserves its reputation.

The scent on the B&M Spice is once again outstanding - I just wish there was more of it over a longer period :( Maybe if I had a bath in it, hmm that would be :cool:
I have been tempted to get a jar of MDC for quite some time but struggle to justify the cost. I also struggle to fathom that the quality would be that much better than some less expensive soaps (Stirling, Mikes, Shaver Heaven etc.). What are your thoughts @Mark1966?

Wow they do look very similar. I love my Shavemac brushes. How would you rate the TSW brush in comparison to the Shavemac @filobiblic?

They look similar but are different categories. The SM is a small brush (22mm) which suits me for face lathering, the TSW Badger is 26-27mm and feels a real face-full to me. (But probably petite to others!) The SM is 2-band hair and is a different category to the 3-band Silvertip in the TSW brush.

The similarities are that both have those gel tips that are über smooth across the face. (And the handles are both similar in polished black with an engraved logo and white paint on the base!!!)

I like both for different reasons. The SM is a great 2-band knot that really suits me perfectly. The TSW Badger is a high quality Silvertip that punches above its category.

Here we are comparing it to a $200+ brush when it costs less than $90 (AND is bigger!). It fits proudly on my shelf, but I'll be adding a 2-band (smaller) cousin when Con brings his next brushes out!!! [emoji6]

I have been tempted to get a jar of MDC for quite some time but struggle to justify the cost. I also struggle to fathom that the quality would be that much better than some less expensive soaps (Stirling, Mikes, Shaver Heaven etc.). What are your thoughts @Mark1966?

Is it GOOD? - Yes

Is it THAT much better than the others mentioned? - No

From memory it is about double the cost but comes in a larger container - 200g rather than the 100 - 120 of most artisans? So the cost is not quite what is seems. I got a smaller quantity from another forum as somebody wanted to break up their purchase and recoup some funds.

Would I buy again at full cost? - Probably not

Would I buy again at a good price? You bet!

It is not 'better' but 'different' and another variation in the den.

They look similar but are different categories. The SM is a small brush (22mm) which suits me for face lathering, the TSW Badger is 26-27mm and feels a real face-full to me. (But probably petite to others!) The SM is 2-band hair and is a different category to the 3-band Silvertip in the TSW brush.

The similarities are that both have those gel tips that are über smooth across the face. (And the handles are both similar in polished black with an engraved logo and white paint on the base!!!)

I like both for different reasons. The SM is a great 2-band knot that really suits me perfectly. The TSW Badger is a high quality Silvertip that punches above its category.

Here we are comparing it to a $200+ brush when it costs less than $90 (AND is bigger!). It fits proudly on my shelf, but I'll be adding a 2-band (smaller) cousin when Con brings his next brushes out!!! [emoji6]
Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for mate!

What is this about a smaller two band brush coming out??????

Is it GOOD? - Yes

Is it THAT much better than the others mentioned? - No

From memory it is about double the cost but comes in a larger container - 200g rather than the 100 - 120 of most artisans? So the cost is not quite what is seems. I got a smaller quantity from another forum as somebody wanted to break up their purchase and recoup some funds.

Would I buy again at full cost? - Probably not

Would I buy again at a good price? You bet!

It is not 'better' but 'different' and another variation in the den.
Thanks @Mark1966

I knew it was a bigger tub but never really considered how that affects the true "cost" of it. Still it works out to about $40 AUD for 100 grams.

I will probably end up adding a tub to my den one day (if one came up on the BST I would likely be all over it as well).

Thanks @Mark1966

I knew it was a bigger tub but never really considered how that affects the true "cost" of it. Still it works out to about $40 AUD for 100 grams.

I will probably end up adding a tub to my den one day (if one came up on the BST I would likely be all over it as well).

Yeah not cheap but I think up at a similar price is the new Jabonman from memory? @filobiblic will know.

Keep your eyes peeled and grab when you can at a reasonable price.

Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for mate!

What is this about a smaller two band brush coming out??????

Haha! Well, you don't think that Con would stop at 3 brushes do you?! [emoji6]

(But don't hold your breathe as all good things take time... Still got TSW shaving soap and aftershave splash that's been promised via samples, as well as post-shave spritz with lemon myrtle and much, much more you can be sure!)

Yeah not cheap but I think up at a similar price is the new Jabonman from memory? @filobiblic will know.

Keep your eyes peeled and grab when you can at a reasonable price.

MdC oozes class with its very hefty and solid glass container. It is also very, very densely packed so that it behaves like a triple-milled soap. It takes years of no-stop use to put a dent in it! So it's value-for-money that sets it apart. I think all who have it rate it highly, yet don't have it as their top tier. It puts a smile on the face for its reasons... The Coconut oil based soap is not known for its post-shave, but for its scent and easy lather-ability. A little goes a very long way!

Jabonman soaps -on the other hand- ARE exy! [emoji51]

Here's my take on the current range:
A) Vegan (with Lanolin) range - highly rated for cushion, scent.
B) Premium Vegan range - highly rated for cushion, scent, and post-shave.
C) Premium Tallow range - highly rated in all areas of cushion, scent, post-shave and slickness/glide.

A is medium-high priced. So these would be $25-35 delivered depending.

B & C (both Premium range) are highly-very highly priced. You're looking at $35-50 delivered.

In a group buy situation I think we were able to shave $5-10 off each soap.

The Premium range prices are due to the Essential Oils (Rosa Bourbon has a very expensive Rose EO that is simply to die for... if you love florals!) and the extra oils for the post-shave. They are a step up in price [emoji52] but are also a step up in performance. (But the EO for the scents do play a large role in the higher prices for some off the Premium range.)

Clearly they aren't for everyone. Not only in prices but in scents. I think that Manuel loves scents like Will (from B&M) does. He has everything from bright and delicate florals, to dark and earthy vetivers, to warm and spicy orientals. For me, every time I open a tub of Jabonman, I inhale deeply and the smile spreads across my face...and stays there for the entire shave. (And paired with his aftershave milk -wow!- the scent lasts for hours...!)

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Polsilver Si (7)
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 "Pure"
Soap: Crabtree & Evelynn Sandalwood

7 shaves is really pushing the Polsilver, still got a decent shave but not quite as comfortable as previous shaves.

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Klars
Aftershave: B&M Barristers Reserve Classic

Now @nsavage we have been talking about MdC (with some help from @filobiblic who makes me wish I'd gotten some Jabonman) but Klars is another to have on your watch list. Load is up and BOOM! lather. Makes shaving easy ...

The Classic is a classic, usual great finish from @Barrister & Mann

30uSfIC.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Barrister & Mann Rhapsody Shave Soap
Chatillon Lux Fourth and Pine
Barrister & Mann Rhapsody Aftershave Splash

What a ripper shave! Some great scents there.

30uSfIC.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Barrister & Mann Rhapsody Shave Soap
Chatillon Lux Fourth and Pine
Barrister & Mann Rhapsody Aftershave Splash
Beautiful shave and wonderful picture (y)

SOTOD - Fifth shave with the Feather kami - prep and post same as previous - no time so quick two pass WTG and a CCS result in about 15 mins. Happy with that - one tiny weeper.

SOTD - Had a lot more time today for my sixth kami shave so went for the full 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) with touch ups - took about half an hour:
Pre: Shower / hot towel
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow V3 (thanks for the PIF @nsavage!) - smells just like the chewing gum of the same name!
Brush: Body Shop Synth
Razor: Feather Artist Club DX non-folding
Blade: Kai Guarded

More time today so had a relaxed shave. Had a small nick again in my cheek from the point when I was digging around my mo with the heel of the blade - I have now concluded I should do all my tight work around my chin / mo with the point of the blade instead! Shaved the head clean off a zit on the third pass so had a bit of blood. Wasn't as careful as I was on the first two passes! Nothing major though.
Shaver Heaven soap was more slick (oily?) than my usual Palmolive but the lather didn't last in the brush the same way - probably just need to "use more product". Not a fair comparison as I've been using sticks for over a decade now and know exactly how much to use for them. My daughter loved the smell!
Lovely BBS result including my chin this time - I've now learnt the term "faceturbating" from shaving forums and I've been doing a lot of that this morning!

SOTOD - Fifth shave with the Feather kami - prep and post same as previous - no time so quick two pass WTG and a CCS result in about 15 mins. Happy with that - one tiny weeper.

SOTD - Had a lot more time today for my sixth kami shave so went for the full 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) with touch ups - took about half an hour:
Pre: Shower / hot towel
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow V3 (thanks for the PIF @nsavage!) - smells just like the chewing gum of the same name!
Brush: Body Shop Synth
Razor: Feather Artist Club DX non-folding
Blade: Kai Guarded

More time today so had a relaxed shave. Had a small nick again in my cheek from the point when I was digging around my mo with the heel of the blade - I have now concluded I should do all my tight work around my chin / mo with the point of the blade instead! Shaved the head clean off a zit on the third pass so had a bit of blood. Wasn't as careful as I was on the first two passes! Nothing major though.
Shaver Heaven soap was more slick (oily?) than my usual Palmolive but the lather didn't last in the brush the same way - probably just need to "use more product". Not a fair comparison as I've been using sticks for over a decade now and know exactly how much to use for them. My daughter loved the smell!
Lovely BBS result including my chin this time - I've now learnt the term "faceturbating" from shaving forums and I've been doing a lot of that this morning!
What is your thoughts on the Body Shop Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.