Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't soak it - the bristles don't absorb water so there's no point. But I do use it dripping wet - a reasonable amount of water still stays in the knot. My stubble is also as wet as possible before rubbing the shave stick all over it. Even with all that it often still needs more moisture half way through a face lather so I just dip the tips in the water for that - or dribble some water into the knot with my other hand. Use enough product and enough water and you should have lather exploding over your face in no time!
Thanks for the great advice RazorPlay. Who know, I might just like this brush after-all. Sorry mates if I went of topic with the synthetic brush thing...:whistle:

a842ca54721f283dfa63ed3e9fcc8676.jpg

Simpson Chubby 2
Mikes Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Stahly head on custom handle
Gillette Platinum Plus (1)
Old Spice Champion

Last edited by a moderator:
OSsHORM.jpg

Occam's Original Pre Shave Soap
Doug Korn D7 TGN
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Geo F Trumper West Indian Limes Skin Food
Beaver Woodwright - Shipwreck Cove

Razor: Vintage Gillette Fatboy (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (6)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: B&M Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: B&M Cologne Russe Splash

So, smuck me does the usual 2 1/2 passes, rinses brush out, splashes water on the face and 'oh no' ...

I don't know what I did (or more correctly didn't) do but big patches of my face have stubble I can feel. Nor sure if I missed it, didn't go ATG and did two WTG or whatever but I have a dillemma - brush is rinsed clean.

Being too lazy to lather up again I grab the Fatboy and do some ATG touch ups. My face has no lather, just the water splashed on my face to rinse it off and the residual glide from the @Barrister & Mann soap.

I should have noticed tugging, pulling, skipping or similar without a decent 'lather' on my face.

I should have experienced irritation, abrasion, redness or soreness without that protective lather.

I didn't. The residual glide and protection from the B&M soap with the water I'd splashed on to rinse the soap off was sufficient to protect my (not so delicate) face. I have to say that this is impressive!

Big shout out to Will, @Barrister & Mann. I'm not sure you would necessarily market the soap as being designed for lazy shavers having a bad day but it is good to know that when things go a little pear shaped the B&M will keep you going! If you have not tried them hop over to @shavetheman's shop - The Stray Whisker and get yourself some locally!

[Yes, I do realise that this confession will mean nobody takes any notice of my future shaving advice but ...]

Razor: Merkur 33C
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Simpsons Rover
Soap: Meißner Tremonia Dark Limes its like a paste
Post shave: Lucky Tiger Aspen
First time using the Meißner Tremonia and really think I'm going to like this one. Lathered easy, assisted with a great shave and I'm a sucker for lime and citrus scents.

20161027_SOTDS_zpsa0mmavgn.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH1 Brazz
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Nathan Clark Envy White
Lather: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Finally had time to for this beauty - and it was well worth the wait! Again many thanks for @Nightguard for this wonderful razor and to @TomG for telling me how to take care of it. Paired with some fantastic Stirling lather (picture here) the razor is simply perfect - but I already knew that. Afterwards I took my time polishing and waxing it back up to its original glory - my respect for James @Wolfman grew even more - his attention to detail is unbelievable...

Such a wonderful looking combination. The razor in person is so impressive.

Used the same soap yesterday @todras and the Seville this morning. Both are outstanding!

Totally agree, they are my 2 favorite B&M soaps. I stockpiled the Lux base for that very reason prior to the new Glissant hitting the shelves :)

463e333db2380f8257a2a8285c846d34.jpg

Brush - Muhle Travel Brush
Cream - L'Occitane Cade
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Rapira Chrome (1)
Post Shave - TSW After Balm

I had been saving the Cade to try on my holiday, but @todras was so generous with this PIF, it has lasted me most of the trip! Thanks mate. (y)
Nice shaves with it and the wife likes the scent. :)

cd47b851-7828-48cc-ad49-d1e8239d1dbf_zpsp1dkw5yw.jpg

Razor: Feather Artist Club DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (7th shave)
Soap: SH Juicy Froot
Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
ASB: Bulldog Original

Now you guys can see what I'm talking about with my brush! This was after the first pass. Can't wait for my Omegas to arrive...
Another 3 pass shave plus touch ups with BBS result all over - no nicks, cuts or weepers. I was seriously questioning whether I really needed to shave today given how close it was yesterday - I've never had that problem before! Glad I did. Still took a half hour but it is taking less time because the quality has improved, especially around my chin. Hard to stick to a plan of just a quick shave when I know what the result can be like with those extra passes...

Love the performance of the soap although the scent on this one is too sweet... I'm more worried about results than scents right now and there is no irritation at all - my skin feels even softer with it. I'm wishing I got into this many years ago now - better late than never I guess...

Brush: Shavemac 26mm Custom
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Samuel
Blade: WK Beta 1.0 - 1" quarter hollow custom

So an interesting and somewhat ground breaking shave today. As some may remember I have been working with a local artisan knife maker on making me a custom straight. This was some time ago but now I have a trial blade in my hands for a test run. Edge needs some refinement but we are off to a great start. Using such a large blade and a near wedge are both first for me, so the learning curve is steep but thoroughly enjoyable.

As to Barristers Reserve - I found yesterday and today that a single application still left my skin slightly dry (or too tight). So after shaving, applying post shave, then breakfast I splash it on again before leaving the house. This has had lead to two improvements; the scent is lasting all day, and any residual irritation or dryness is resolved. Bingo!​

cd47b851-7828-48cc-ad49-d1e8239d1dbf_zpsp1dkw5yw.jpg

Razor: Feather Artist Club DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (7th shave)
Soap: SH Juicy Froot
Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
ASB: Bulldog Original

Now you guys can see what I'm talking about with my brush! This was after the first pass. Can't wait for my Omegas to arrive...
Another 3 pass shave plus touch ups with BBS result all over - no nicks, cuts or weepers. I was seriously questioning whether I really needed to shave today given how close it was yesterday - I've never had that problem before! Glad I did. Still took a half hour but it is taking less time because the quality has improved, especially around my chin. Hard to stick to a plan of just a quick shave when I know what the result can be like with those extra passes...

Love the performance of the soap although the scent on this one is too sweet... I'm more worried about results than scents right now and there is no irritation at all - my skin feels even softer with it. I'm wishing I got into this many years ago now - better late than never I guess...
Get yourself a badger brush mate.....

Get yourself a badger brush mate.....

Yep - will do. I have an affinity with boar though being of Italian extraction (it's what my nonno used although dad then went fully electric!) and want to master that first. I can't help but notice all the Italian barbers I have ever visited have all used boars. And I like a lot of backbone / scrub from a brush and am hoping the boars will deliver on that front.

I also want to sample a quality badger straight off the bat rather than go through the cheap ones first - a bit like how I just jumped straight (pardon the pun...) into the Feather rather than going through DEs or the cheaper shavettes (I'm glad I did!). So I'm waiting on the P&C group buy as my first badger brush - I am pretty confident that you guys know a lot more than I do about what makes a good badger brush. That will give me time to get up the curve on the boars - and the razor for that matter - before experiencing what it's like to be gently caressed by angel pillows!

Yep - will do. I have an affinity with boar though being of Italian extraction (it's what my nonno used although dad then went fully electric!) and want to master that first. I can't help but notice all the Italian barbers I have ever visited have all used boars. And I like a lot of backbone / scrub from a brush and am hoping the boars will deliver on that front.

I also want to sample a quality badger straight off the bat rather than go through the cheap ones first - a bit like how I just jumped straight (pardon the pun...) into the Feather rather than going through DEs or the cheaper shavettes (I'm glad I did!). So I'm waiting on the P&C group buy as my first badger brush - I am pretty confident that you guys know a lot more than I do about what makes a good badger brush. That will give me time to get up the curve on the boars - and the razor for that matter - before experiencing what it's like to be gently caressed by angel pillows!

P&C group buy may be some time in the making. In fact it's not even official yet! Grab yourself a Shavemac or Thater I say. If they are too pricey, the Stray Whisker Badger seems to be an excellent choice.

BTW, in my experience, all bores do that empty hollow centre clumping thing...

P&C group buy may be some time in the making. In fact it's not even official yet! Grab yourself a Shavemac or Thater I say. If they are too pricey, the Stray Whisker Badger seems to be an excellent choice.

BTW, in my experience, all bores do that empty hollow centre clumping thing...
Another great option is the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger. Exceptional value for money IMO

Another great option is the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger. Exceptional value for money IMO

+1 I'm a huge fan of the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger great backbone and very exceptional value for money (y);) or get yourself a Whipped Dog http://whippeddog.com/ either a Silvertip or High Mountain Badger email Larry he's happy to help you pick the perfect brush either face or bowl lather.

@RazorPlay ask @alfredus to put you in the P&C brush group buy FYI here the topic https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/interest-in-a-p-c-group-buy.2654/

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 28 October 2016

Brush: - Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger 24/50mm
Lather: - LEA Classic Shaving Soap
Razor: - Fatip OC with a The Stray Whisker Howitzer Handle
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #4
Post Shave: - Speick Aftershave Splash / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.