Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine for today...

· BRUSH:
Semogue 1250 ... man I love this brush!

· Razor: Muhle R89

· BLADE: Feather (1)... I was quite disappointing to see it was last blade I took out of the tuck this morning. Definitely on my restock list....

· SOAP: Castle Forbes Lime

· POST SHAVE: Witch hazel home-brew AS and Titanian ASB finished off with some Mo wax.

What is your thoughts on the Body Shop Synthetic?

Well, mine has been my daily driver and only brush for well over 10 years (maybe 15 - can't quite remember!). Only had a hand me down boar brush before that, which I had no idea how to use and whose knot fell out of its wooden handle! It's only in the last month or so that wet shaving has been anything more than a mindless scrape with a disposable, that I noticed the bristles are now at least 25% shorter than they used to be. I'm pretty sure the reason for that was all those years of using the bristles to unclog my disposables (how I hated doing that!). So now it is very spiky and is about to be replaced with a Proraso Omega and an Omega 80266. I see that the current Body Shop brush has a round wooden handle where mine had a flat plastic handle - no doubt the bristles are different now too.

But I seem to remember when it was new that it was a great brush for me - life with a synth is easy and predictable for someone like me who was clueless at the time. Not the softest of course but I'm not particularly wanting to be gently caressed by angel's pillows - I want a brush that exfoliates etc and it was good for that. I have no idea about the current brush. If the Omegas that are about to turn up look any good then I'm likely to get a s-brush or hi-brush for travelling. The old brush was great for quick drying on the road...

20161027_SOTDS_zpsa0mmavgn.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH1 Brazz
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Nathan Clark Envy White
Lather: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Finally had time to for this beauty - and it was well worth the wait! Again many thanks for @Nightguard for this wonderful razor and to @TomG for telling me how to take care of it. Paired with some fantastic Stirling lather (picture here) the razor is simply perfect - but I already knew that. Afterwards I took my time polishing and waxing it back up to its original glory - my respect for James @Wolfman grew even more - his attention to detail is unbelievable...

20161027_SOTDS_zpsa0mmavgn.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH1 Brazz
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Nathan Clark Envy White
Lather: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Finally had time to for this beauty - and it was well worth the wait! Again many thanks for @Nightguard for this wonderful razor and to @TomG for telling me how to take care of it. Paired with some fantastic Stirling lather (picture here) the razor is simply perfect - but I already knew that. Afterwards I took my time polishing and waxing it back up to its original glory - my respect for James @Wolfman grew even more - his attention to detail is unbelievable...

Just beautiful @alfredus.

CnbuOTs.jpg

SOTD (27/10/2016)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (3rd use)
Brush: Panta Rei Custom Manchurian
Soap/Cream: Proraso Red
AS: Thayer’s Cucumber/Proraso Sandalwood AS
Balm: Proraso Red Pre/Post Shave Cream
Fragrance: TOBS Sandalwood EDC

d940231292a2ea6138042cba46aadce0.jpg

Brush: Thater 4125/1
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Personna Blue (1)
Soap: P&B Spitfire
A/S: Fine Clean Vetiver

A big thanks to @Mark1966
for selling me his Weber. Very much appreciated, the one sale I truly regret is my original Weber. I was reminded why as soon as I put razor to face, simply perfect. Three quick passes and a perfect BBS.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Brush: Wolf Whiskers 24mm Envy White
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Blade: Bengall 5/6
A/S: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

My 4th shave with a straight and very close to a BBS with no nicks or weepers. I've not been swapping my DE in for a pass or two, which I think has helped. As has my preference for DEs with a lot of blade feel. To be honest I did swap this razor out for the Boker I got off of @stillshunter halfway through as it was tugging. The Bengall came from Ron Spencer shave ready, but either my beard is too much for it or, more likely, I damaged the edge whilst stropping. Methinks a package sent out to @Mark may be in order.

Really liking that brush more and more every time I see it.

Me too :) wait till you see some of the next lot of handles he turns. On another note, I'm starting to see some hook tips in the knot. Not that the tips need to be any softer.

I h
Well, mine has been my daily driver and only brush for well over 10 years (maybe 15 - can't quite remember!). Only had a hand me down boar brush before that, which I had no idea how to use and whose knot fell out of its wooden handle! It's only in the last month or so that wet shaving has been anything more than a mindless scrape with a disposable, that I noticed the bristles are now at least 25% shorter than they used to be. I'm pretty sure the reason for that was all those years of using the bristles to unclog my disposables (how I hated doing that!). So now it is very spiky and is about to be replaced with a Proraso Omega and an Omega 80266. I see that the current Body Shop brush has a round wooden handle where mine had a flat plastic handle - no doubt the bristles are different now too.

But I seem to remember when it was new that it was a great brush for me - life with a synth is easy and predictable for someone like me who was clueless at the time. Not the softest of course but I'm not particularly wanting to be gently caressed by angel's pillows - I want a brush that exfoliates etc and it was good for that. I have no idea about the current brush. If the Omegas that are about to turn up look any good then I'm likely to get a s-brush or hi-brush for travelling. The old brush was great for quick drying on the road...
I have the one with the wooden handle. Maybe it is just me who don't know how to operate a synthetic brush but it doesn't provide the lather other brushes of mine does.(n)

CnbuOTs.jpg

SOTD (27/10/2016)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (3rd use)
Brush: Panta Rei Custom Manchurian
Soap/Cream: Proraso Red
AS: Thayer’s Cucumber/Proraso Sandalwood AS
Balm: Proraso Red Pre/Post Shave Cream
Fragrance: TOBS Sandalwood EDC
Some great scents there. How does the scent of the Proraso Sandalwood AS compare to that of the soap?

I h

I have the one with the wooden handle. Maybe it is just me who don't know how to operate a synthetic brush but it doesn't provide the lather other brushes of mine does.(n)

Never been a problem for me and my shave sticks. Always enough lather for 3 passes - even now that I have 25% less brush! But it's still going in the bin when my new brushes arrive...

Never been a problem for me and my shave sticks. Always enough lather for 3 passes - even now that I have 25% less brush! But it's still going in the bin when my new brushes arrive...
I haven't tried it with a shave stick before. I should give it a try tomorrow. They say one shouldn't soak a synthetic because it doesn't absorb water?

I haven't tried it with a shave stick before. I should give it a try tomorrow. They say one shouldn't soak a synthetic because it doesn't absorb water?
I don't soak it - the bristles don't absorb water so there's no point. But I do use it dripping wet - a reasonable amount of water still stays in the knot. My stubble is also as wet as possible before rubbing the shave stick all over it. Even with all that it often still needs more moisture half way through a face lather so I just dip the tips in the water for that - or dribble some water into the knot with my other hand. Use enough product and enough water and you should have lather exploding over your face in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.