Not open for further replies.
53aa7e0790e11427dfc95b354dd801d1.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: B&M Cologne Russe
Razor: Leresche 77
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver
A/S: B&M Cologne Russe

Last dance with the Leresche 77. For a number of reasons, I was sporting a 5 day growth for this shave. The Leresche excelled in this application, allowing the Super Silver to cleanly mow down the stubble. I focused hard on technique, having been bitten in my last shave. This time around, just beautiful. The B&M lather worked beautifully with this imposing razor. Three pass BBS - no blood, no irritation. I am under no illusions that I could reproduce this every shave, but the planets aligned for me on this one.
The Leresche 77 is a razor that commands respect. It is aggressive but precise, and tests both technique and lather quality. It has been an absolute blast to use it - thanks again @filobiblic .

Believe it or not this morning was my first ever shave with a Merkur 34c HD razor. I can see why this is often recommended as one of the best options for someone new to DE shaving. Such an easy razor to use and smooth and comfortable. Probably a little milder than I would normally use but still easily got a good enough shave for the work day ahead. This is going to be a great razor for those times when a quick no fuss shave is required.

The Rapira Platinum Lux are a fantastic blade and the B&M Seville is of course an outstanding soap. The real star of the shave however is the TGN 2 Band Finest knot set in the Wolf Whiskers handle. Not only is she a beauty to look at (my terrible photo does it absolutely no justice) but the knot has developed wonderfully soft hooked tips whilst still retaining a really nice amount of backbone.

I guess what I am saying in a nutshell is that I notched up another wonderful shave today :D.

rkEYiGl.jpg

Yep - will do. I have an affinity with boar though being of Italian extraction (it's what my nonno used although dad then went fully electric!) and want to master that first. I can't help but notice all the Italian barbers I have ever visited have all used boars. And I like a lot of backbone / scrub from a brush and am hoping the boars will deliver on that front.

I also want to sample a quality badger straight off the bat rather than go through the cheap ones first - a bit like how I just jumped straight (pardon the pun...) into the Feather rather than going through DEs or the cheaper shavettes (I'm glad I did!). So I'm waiting on the P&C group buy as my first badger brush - I am pretty confident that you guys know a lot more than I do about what makes a good badger brush. That will give me time to get up the curve on the boars - and the razor for that matter - before experiencing what it's like to be gently caressed by angel pillows!

Stick with a Boar. They are all round a far superior brush.

:) We will need to have a "lather off" some day.

Wow!!,what a stunning "boar" lathered shave tonight. One of my Russian straights needed to be refreshed so I gave it a full bevel set and re-hone. Smooth doesn't begin to describe the shave. I also gave a new brush a run tonight. A rather prestigious 18mm 52mm loft $3 replacement boar knot for an old handle I have. :) with my eyes closed I could've sworn it was a $300 Shavemac :) but I digress.

Soap: One of mine [forgot to keep the recipe] Good soap as well.
Razor: Russian 11/16" from the late '60's
Brush: Close your eyes and imagine. I don't want to "boar" you.
Finished with face washer then Macadamia nut oil/Lemon myrtle.

10/10 -- I know if I had used a badger it would have been an 11 :)

wd18fcp.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave Soap
St James Of London 26mm SiLVERTiP
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Stone Cottage Soapworks - Fougère Cream
Chatillon Lux - La Forêt de Liguest
Taylors of Old Bond St - Jermyn St Aftershave

I have been chomping at the bit to give this new cream a run, having read some good things from those in the know I ordered a whole lot around a month ago. Well, having lightly loaded the brush as I would any other cream and after 2 minutes tops I was rewarded with one of the best lathers I have ever had out of a cream - really top tier.

The scent of the Fougère is exceptional, it's a very traditional lightly floral but deep powdery accord and it is extremely well done. Finished off the two pass with some Chatillon Lux and a generous splash of Jermyn St. Why Jermyn St you ask, well, it is considered one of the contemporary Fougère scents in the "new" axis they have taken. It paired very well, I was most pleased at the goodness of fit.I will post a proper review in the creams forum once I gather my thoughts on the stuff.

A very nice, thoroughly enjoyable Saturday morning shave - If you get a chance to try the cream I suggest you give it some serious consideration. Stone Cottage Soapworks is now also doing soaps for those so inclined, myself I always take the chance to acquire a really good cream especially as artisans are not known for them.

Enjoy your shaves Gentlemen!

Lather Shot

Razor: Gillette Sensor Cartridge System
Blade: OEM Sensor Cartridge (?)
Brush: Muhle Travelling Synth
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Arlington
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Ozark Mountain Balm

Crap shave with a cart - enough said. Only an overnight away - decent shave tomorrow!

Hi from sunny Devonport!

wd18fcp.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave Soap
St James Of London 26mm SiLVERTiP
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Stone Cottage Soapworks - Fougère Cream
Chatillon Lux - La Forêt de Liguest
Taylors of Old Bond St - Jermyn St Aftershave

I have been chomping at the bit to give this new cream a run, having read some good things from those in the know I ordered a whole lot around a month ago. Well, having lightly loaded the brush as I would any other cream and after 2 minutes tops I was rewarded with one of the best lathers I have ever had out of a cream - really top tier.

The scent of the Fougère is exceptional, it's a very traditional lightly floral but deep powdery accord and it is extremely well done. Finished off the two pass with some Chatillon Lux and a generous splash of Jermyn St. Why Jermyn St you ask, well, it is considered one of the contemporary Fougère scents in the "new" axis they have taken. It paired very well, I was most pleased at the goodness of fit.I will post a proper review in the creams forum once I gather my thoughts on the stuff.

A very nice, thoroughly enjoyable Saturday morning shave - If you get a chance to try the cream I suggest you give it some serious consideration. Stone Cottage Soapworks is now also doing soaps for those so inclined, myself I always take the chance to acquire a really good cream especially as artisans are not known for them.

Enjoy your shaves Gentlemen!

Lather Shot
Nice effect on the photo.

20161029_SOTDSBW_zpsdftzxb9w.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector M1 (3)
Blade: Schick Injector (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac
Lather: Mystic Water Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Wonderful first encounter with the adjustable Schick today. I loaded the blade on the highest setting and forgot to tone it down. One stroke down my cheeks WTG and I realised my mistake immediately. Turned it back down to 2 and felt confident so I settled on 3. A very close, yet silky smooth shave resulted - the magnificent Mystic Water lather (picture here) definitely also played its role.

I really wish there would be a good modern take on this razor - the head design and handle shape are perfect - just the handle material needs a revamp - I hope you all have a great weekend ahead (y)

Razor: EJ DE86 with Bren handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: TSW 452/28 Synth
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum and TSW After Balm
A/S: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Observant readers would know I acquired a pack of the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades in an order from TSW, simply to get across the free-postage line.

With a little trepidation (given my experience with the decidedly agricultural Ladas) I figured I may as well try them out.
It's only the first shave, but colour me surprised. A very smooth, comfortable, DFS. Can't comment on longevity yet, but it's a very good start.

20161029_SOTDSBW_zpsdftzxb9w.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector M1 (3)
Blade: Schick Injector (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac
Lather: Mystic Water Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Wonderful first encounter with the adjustable Schick today. I loaded the blade on the highest setting and forgot to tone it down. One stroke down my cheeks WTG and I realised my mistake immediately. Turned it back down to 2 and felt confident so I settled on 3. A very close, yet silky smooth shave resulted - the magnificent Mystic Water lather (picture here) definitely also played its role.

I really wish there would be a good modern take on this razor - the head design and handle shape are perfect - just the handle material needs a revamp - I hope you all have a great weekend ahead (y)

That picture is off the hook, and I am not being sarcastic.

Magnificent is indeed the word for the lather Mystic Water produces - it really is a head above most others.

That picture is off the hook, and I am not being sarcastic.

Magnificent is indeed the word for the lather Mystic Water produces - it really is a head above most others.
Thank you my friend (y)

Razor: Vintage Gillette L 1 (birth year) Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella Firenze Crema da Barba
Aftershave: Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella Firenze Lozione dopo Barba Tabacco Toscano

Not just after my rubbish shave yesterday but to celebrate the submission of the final assessment item in the final subject in my Grad Dip Legal Studies a little after midnight I wanted a special shave. See more on the completion celebration here - I've finished - give me your best lawyer/accountant joke competition

Grabbed my birth year Slim and a new Wilkie. The brush was the one that started me on the butterscotch path, it was a bargain but has cost me lots since!

The soap/cream (really a croap) and aftershave I've been saving for a special occasion since picking them up in the store in Florence earlier this year. The performance was great the scent divine, seriously nice!

Wonderful shave - hope you enjoy yours (y)

Just so you know it was not just the boxes -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.