Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: EJ DE86 with Bren handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: SH Fig & Brown Sugar
After: Alum and TSW After Balm
A/S: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Up to shave #3 with the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade, and still delivery a fine shave. A little more cleanup required, but I think there's at least one more in the blade. A surprising good performance from what I expected to be a throwaway pack of blades.

First time out with the Shaver Heaven, so went back to the badger brush. Very nice lather, wish I'd got onto this before the shutdown:(

Razor: EJ DE86 with Bren handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: SH Fig & Brown Sugar
After: Alum and TSW After Balm
A/S: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Up to shave #3 with the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade, and still delivery a fine shave. A little more cleanup required, but I think there's at least one more in the blade. A surprising good performance from what I expected to be a throwaway pack of blades.

First time out with the Shaver Heaven, so went back to the badger brush. Very nice lather, wish I'd got onto this before the shutdown:(

@GregP would mind telling me what is a Bren handle??

Thursday 3 November 2016

SOTD-03112016.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox, 8/8 Full Hollow, Irish Point

New month, new business trip. This time I brought with me the latest Mastro Livi razor I added to my collection and I am super happy with it because it is exactly like I wanted it to be. Irish point, amaranth wood scales, extra full hollow ground - therefore this is a very singing blade and with a beautiful voice - stainless steel. Moreover this razor has been honed to perfection by Mastro Livi and shaves impeccably well, giving a very close and smooth shave. As for the other stuff, I used a Palmolive Classic Stick - a super cheap soap and, in my opinion, very good compared to price - very handy when you travel. The Omega Professional 48 proved to be a very good brush as usual, one of the very best bristle brush around and, also in this case, sold at a very cheap price.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Palmolive Classic Stick
  • Brush: Omega Professional 48
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox, 8/8 Full Hollow, Irish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

dXXGOhi.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave
SJOL 26mm Silvertip
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Barrister & Mann Rhapsody Shave Soap
Chatillon Lux Vide Poche Balm
Barrister & Mann Rhapsody Aftershave Splash

Thank god it's Friday ;)

20161104_SOTDS_zpsl8eayfhw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Leresche 77
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Purple Haze
Lather: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Fantastic shave today - the thoughts on the razor are posted here - again many thanks to @filobiblic for the generous loan.

The lather was truly superb (picture here) - the brush lathers up like a champion - yet it has the silkiest and softest gel tips I have encountered so far (pictures here)

Hope you all have a great weekend ahead (y)

Razor: Feather AC DX non-folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (2)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow V3
Brush: Body Shop - my Gifts & Care box is taking too long!
ASB: Buldog Original

Had a wonderful shave today. The first time I have ever built a proper airless, shiny, creamy / yoghurt lather in my life. Courtesy of seeing Merkur Man's videos that I stumbled over yesterday on this very forum (start drier and slowly add water as you load - and keep loading) - thanks P&C! Previously I thought lather should be like whipped cream but now I know better - a lot better. Particularly for this razor where it makes you feel that much more protected and therefore comfortable with technique. The glide and general performance was a lot better, it didn't dry as fast and the longevity in the brush was much better. The only downside is it uses a lot more product but it's worth it for a great shave. Good excuse to buy more soap of course... Although buying soap from some of these artisans and going through it at this rate could get expensive!

'Twas a great shave and another three pass BBS result. Hardly any irritation. Nothing but good things to say about this razor for a noob like me...

45d43f31546dc108f604953d46515c0d.jpg

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather
Brush: Frank Shaving Pure Badger
Soap: TOBS sandalwood cream
After: Alum / TWH Unscented / Proraso Green
Fragrance: Terre D'Hermes

Some of my thoughts so far:

- I'm not sure if feathers were the best blade to star DE Shaving with

- I feel like the head of Merkur is not 'heavy' enough for a mostly clean first pass

- I developed a rash on the neck (never happened before with carts), have wound back the Shaving to EOD

- love the smell of the TOBS sandalwood

Razor: Feather AC DX non-folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (2)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow V3
Brush: Body Shop - my Gifts & Care box is taking too long!
ASB: Buldog Original

Had a wonderful shave today. The first time I have ever built a proper airless, shiny, creamy / yoghurt lather in my life. Courtesy of seeing Merkur Man's videos that I stumbled over yesterday on this very forum (start drier and slowly add water as you load - and keep loading) - thanks P&C! Previously I thought lather should be like whipped cream but now I know better - a lot better. Particularly for this razor where it makes you feel that much more protected and therefore comfortable with technique. The glide and general performance was a lot better, it didn't dry as fast and the longevity in the brush was much better. The only downside is it uses a lot more product but it's worth it for a great shave. Good excuse to buy more soap of course... Although buying soap from some of these artisans and going through it at this rate could get expensive!

'Twas a great shave and another three pass BBS result. Hardly any irritation. Nothing but good things to say about this razor for a noob like me...
Great to hear. Building a proper lather does, I think, make the biggest difference in the quality of shave. For me at least it was a huge turning point in closeness and comfort.

Razor: Vintage Gillette SuperSpeed
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Indian Black (2/3)
Brush: Muhle Travel Synth
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Arlington Shaving Soap Stick
Aftershave: Stirling Shaving Soap Ozark Mountain Balm

Decent travelling shaves - but looking forward to being home now and trying the new splash I picked up before leaving tomorrow morning!

The trip was great though - after a great homemade dinner and fine wine the previous night we had a fine dinner in Perth last night, after my first experience at Sneaky Tony's - Rum! I think I could enjoy something new - your suggestions?

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush:
Wolf Whiskers with 26mm Envy White knot
Soap: First Canadian Bay Rum and Lime
Razor: Boker King Cutter 5/6

My best straight shave yet. First time out with First Canadian and it gave a very impressive lather. Great scent and excellent cushion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.