Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
sotd-2016-11-06.jpg

I'm back! :) This is my SOTLTW (Shave of the day for the last two weeks).

Pre-Shave: Shower if possible. Washing face if shover was not possible :)
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin with Mühle guard
Blade: Polsilver SI (loaded an empty box with Polsilver)
Brush: Omega 50068 Bambino Travel Boar Brush
Soap/Cream: Through the Fire Fine Craft - Spring Fern and The Shaving Shop - Acqua di Florida
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Post-Routine: hot/cold rinse, balm

For the last two weeks this was my SOTD while I was traveling and camping in Western Australia. It was a bit of a challenge I'd say. Difficult to get enough hot water. Lucky water was soft most of the time so I didn't have any issues lathering. Rotated two soaps. Tallow one performed much better in this case. Usually I scooped a bit of soap, spread it on the bowl walls inside and then used brush to lather. To my surprise this little Omega brush did a great job and hold enough lather for three passes. Had to combine bowl lathering with face one. Started with bowl for the first pass and then continued on the face. Everything, except one soap and balm, fit nicely into an empty TOBS cream container I was using as the bowl as well. So everything was light and compact.

Amazing what those little brushes can do - I have a little Simpson which is just incredible for its size.

I hear you man. I got a little sick of Mystic (and a number of other soaps) not having any matching splashes or balms so I am going to do all the scents I am able - which is most of them. I am also doing a few Stirling (1 is already done - more on that later) that people can't get here. I am building up my stocks of the splashes (they take a time to prepare and mature) then I will send out samples. If people like them I may even sell a few small tubs and bottles of the balm and splash (only to cover the cost of the EO's, alcohol, packaging etc). The ones I have done so far smell almost identical to Mystic's range mainly due to her scents not being overly complex.

I will be sending you a few things in this regard in the next week or 2 btw :)
Thanks mate :) Looking forward to having a go!

e4fe5a91-5bcf-4ed7-a743-94ddb7fec835_zpshungcy8r.jpg

Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (3)
Soap: Tim's Greek Peach
Brush: Body Shop
ASB: Bulldog Original

Still waiting for my package from G&C to arrive! I took a relaxed half hour today and focussed on the task at hand after a weekend without shaving. The result was truly excellent - three passes and BBS+. Didn't really need that last pass but when you're on a good thing it's hard to stop! The Tim's behaved much better when I lathered it properly. Not quite as slick as I would like but performance was much improved with that yoghurt texture. Plenty left in my tiny pathetic brush at the end.

No irritation, no weepers and lots of faceturbating today. My skin feels the same as my kids... all my shaving rashes have gone. I'm struggling to believe how good this thing is for me...

Where do I sign up ;) the only reason I don't have any mw soaps is the lack of matching scents.

1cf704a95c92a96390e9162850b9c418.jpg

Haven't used a Big Ben blade in a long time, and don't want to jinx it, but awesome shave! Not as sharp as Permasharp (feather 5/5, Permasharp 4.5/5), these would be a solid 4/5. Smooth, very very smooth.

It's funny how we are all so different. Never ceases to amaze me. See, I don't like matching scents! I love to enjoy one scent in the shower, another in the shave, and a third in the after shave. This way I enjoy three scents a day, not just one! Now they maybe similar I guess, I open the drawer and grab whatever I feel like at the time but I do not have soap/splash/balm combo's. And yes, I give time for the previous scent to dissipate before going to the next stage. I wash my face post shave and leave it wet whilst I clean up, strop etc then last thing before I leave I throw on the splash.

sotd-2016-11-06.jpg

I'm back! :) This is my SOTLTW (Shave of the day for the last two weeks).

Pre-Shave: Shower if possible. Washing face if shover was not possible :)
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin with Mühle guard
Blade: Polsilver SI (loaded an empty box with Polsilver)
Brush: Omega 50068 Bambino Travel Boar Brush
Soap/Cream: Through the Fire Fine Craft - Spring Fern and The Shaving Shop - Acqua di Florida
Post-Routine: hot/cold rinse, balm

For the last two weeks this was my SOTD while I was traveling and camping in Western Australia. It was a bit of a challenge I'd say. Difficult to get enough hot water. Lucky water was soft most of the time so I didn't have any issues lathering. Rotated two soaps. Tallow one performed much better in this case. Usually I scooped a bit of soap, spread it on the bowl walls inside and then used brush to lather. To my surprise this little Omega brush did a great job and hold enough lather for three passes. Had to combine bowl lathering with face one. Started with bowl for the first pass and then continued on the face. Everything, except one soap and balm, fit nicely into an empty TOBS cream container I was using as the bowl as well. So everything was light and compact.

sotd-2016-11-07.jpg

And finally SOTD. Back to routine :)

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: The Stray Whisker 452/28
Soap/Cream: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Honeysuckle
A/S: Nivea Men Original After Shave Splash (not on a photo)
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, splash, dry skin, balm

PAA Honeysuckle performance is awesome and I love the smell. I guess that is the very latest high butter formulation. It pairs very well with Nivea Original aftershave in terms of scent. Great shave this morning.

Great to hear of another camper wet shaving in the bush! Horses for courses, but what I generally do is washup after breakfast but keep some water in the kettle for a shave. I rinse the washing up bowl(?) pour the hot water in and I'm good to go. Post shave rinse is always cold.

Soap: Crown King - Steeplechase
Blade: Wallis Knives - Beta 1.0 8/8 quarter hollow
Brush: Shavemac - custom 2 band 26mm
Splash: Barristers Reserve - Spice.

Crown King soap is a great formula! I can easily and quickly get a good thick load and produce piles and piles of high quality, thick, dense lather. Performance is great although I think maybe my skin is a little dryer post shave than with other brands. The smell though - I just love love love it. It is a take on Polo which I will have to find a bottle of.

Barristers reserve: I'm fast running out of the sample's I have. It is truly great stuff although whilst it will added to the circulation, it will not replace any of my current Splashes (all PAA). I did think at one time Reserve would become my only splashes but no, a lovely addition.

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
Blade: PSI (1st use)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Soap: L&L Grooming Cuit et Epice
AS: Myrsol F/Extra

A job interview so no straight shave for me. The Rockwell showed me that my recent shaves with a straight haven't exactly been BBS. This was a really close shave. The L&L is excellent stuff and my face felt fantastic. It's a very soft soap, but top shelf skin feel. It's pricey but exceeds B&M IMHO.

Crown King soap is a great formula! I can easily and quickly get a good thick load and produce piles and piles of high quality, thick, dense lather. Performance is great although I think maybe my skin is a little dryer post shave than with other brands. The smell though - I just love love love it. It is a take on Polo which I will have to find a bottle of.
I agree! The more I use CK and the very latest PAA formulation (they are the same except Coconut oil if I recall correctly). I've got two CK and three PAA soaps and love them Thinking about buying a few more PAA because of great scents.

Great to hear of another camper wet shaving in the bush! Horses for courses, but what I generally do is washup after breakfast but keep some water in the kettle for a shave. I rinse the washing up bowl(?) pour the hot water in and I'm good to go. Post shave rinse is always cold.
I'll try to use your approach. Thanks!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 07 November 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Razor: - Phoenix Symmetry Open Comb
Blade: - German Wilkinson Sword #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Speick Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss (Original) EDT

eHQ40rj.jpg

1st Shave with the Leresche 77 today. Many thanks to @folobiblic for the opportunity to give this razor a try. You can read my initial thoughts here https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...tage-leresche-77-razor.2971/page-3#post-83664

The Rudy Vey with the Shavemac 2 band is an outstanding brush. I whipped up a great lather with the Drogon Noir (this is the Vegan formula and itr still amazes me how much water I can get in to this soap). Myrsol Emulsion needs little introduction it provides a brilliant post shave feel and my skin feels great all day after using it.

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Paladin Falstaff 26mm
Soap: P&B Albion
Razor: Kropp 5/8"
AS: Myrsol Agua Limon

For those who have bought a Paladin today and are wondering about the knot this shave reminded me why I think it's close to the best brush out there. So soft yet plenty of backbone.
This was my best straight shave yet, partly thanks to @Mark's spectacular edge on the Kropp. Still takes me bloody ages though.
P&B Albion is very good. Similar to B&M Cheshire but with more grapefruit and lavender. A lovely shave all round.

Last edited:
c14d9f3e53c5f4b8ffe6ed7331c074b1.jpg

Pre: GFT Limes skin food
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: GFT Eucris
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (1)
EDT: GFT Eucris

A very English shave this evening - everything from the green and pleasant land with the exception of the Feather AS-D2 razor.
Like all my English triple-milled soaps, GFT Eucris needs a bit of time and elbow grease to work up a good lather. The glide and face feel was very good, and the scent simply wonderful.
Noticed some unusual irritation during the 3rd pass and called it quits for a DFS. Not sure if it was the soap or pre-shave lotion - they were both new additions for this shave, but have used them previously without problems. Time will tell.
Nice post shave feel, and finished with one of my favourite fragrances - Eucris.

Razor: Vintage Gillette L 1 (birth year) Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (7)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

This brush is a beast!

Turning to my 'reference soap' for first use it just gobbles it up - no wonder some folks around here go through soap like there is no tomorrow. The lather was the usual Mike's rich, thick and wet luxuriant result - heaps of water added too. Minimalism and this brush are not known to each other. The brush caressed my face and has a very different feel to my other brushes, and there is way more of it too. If this is a 24mm knot I'm kinda glad I didn't get a 26mm Paladin yesterday!

Finished off nicely with the Myrsol - lovely.

A very different experience shaving today.

G
Razor: Vintage Gillette L 1 (birth year) Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (7)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

This brush is a beast!

Turning to my 'reference soap' for first use it just gobbles it up - no wonder some folks around here go through soap like there is no tomorrow. The lather was the usual Mike's rich, thick and wet luxuriant result - heaps of water added too. Minimalism and this brush are not known to each other. The brush caressed my face and has a very different feel to my other brushes, and there is way more of it too. If this is a 24mm knot I'm kinda glad I didn't get a 26mm Paladin yesterday!

Finished off nicely with the Myrsol - lovely.

A very different experience shaving today.
So glad you like it.

IMG_20161107_184916.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave Soap
Simpson Chubby1 SB
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water - Egyptian Dragon
Chatillon Lux - Gratiot League Square
Beaver Woodwright - Captain Scurvey

Another great lather from the Mystic Water, a very pleasing scent of Dragons Blood, amber, myrrh, spice with hints of jasmine and Rose from this sample and definitely one I will look at complimenting eventually - I get a distinct autumnal feel from the scent accord that is quite unique, it's a twist that really works. I made many notes on this one so when the cooler weather comes to us in a few months I can get to work on it.

A two pass with cushion and glide abundant, really fantastic post shave feel. At my current rate of evaluation I will be ordering 5 or 6 new Mystic Soaps for the lineup. A nice cold water clean off post shave and on with the Gratiot League Square and Beaver Woodwright with it's lovely Sandalwood, Lime and Vanilla notes.

Enjoy your day and your shaves Gentlemen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.