Status
Not open for further replies.
20161108_SOTDSVig_zpsoly70we5.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector M1 (3.5)
Blade: Personna Injector (3)
Brush: Paladin Chief Purple Haze
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Very nice shave today with the injector - I dialled it up a bit, and the result was a bit more aggressive than my last shave with it. It has actually 5 adjustments between each level - so you have 40? possible settings I believe. The result was still a very smooth shave, but also still not 100% close. Maybe next time I will go all the way up to 4 - but I also feel I am getting close to the maximum aggressiveness level I like...

The lather was spectacular today (picture here) - it looks like Mystic Water, but is actually Stirling. If you dismissed Stirling, because you used a pre 2013 formulation version, do yourself a favour and get the current formulation - it is sensational!

I hope you all have a great day and fantastic shaves (y)

Love my Stirling barbershop, but I fear something in the aftershave irritates my skin. Will be looking to offload methinks.

I suspect it is the Hydrovance(tm) that is added as I experience similar discomfort on occasions, I looked into it, however it is not approved for use or available in Australia from my searching.

@alfredus might be able to take a look and give his professional opinion (?)

https://sc.akzonobel.com/en/personalcare/Pages/product-detail.aspx?prodID=6683

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Fibre V2.0
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria – La Poire Francaise
ASB: The Stray Whisker After Balm
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, balm

Tried 'Henri et Victoria' for the first time. Simply "Wow!" :)

Brush: Shavemac Custom 26mm 2 band
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Citrus Garden (vegan)
Blade: Wallis Knives - Beta 1.0

Hit lather perfection this morning! I always have very good lather but I must have just got everything perfect today and it was a shame I only had time for two passes!

Razor: Vintage Gillette L 1 (birth year) Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (7)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

This brush is a beast!

Turning to my 'reference soap' for first use it just gobbles it up - no wonder some folks around here go through soap like there is no tomorrow. The lather was the usual Mike's rich, thick and wet luxuriant result - heaps of water added too. Minimalism and this brush are not known to each other. The brush caressed my face and has a very different feel to my other brushes, and there is way more of it too. If this is a 24mm knot I'm kinda glad I didn't get a 26mm Paladin yesterday!

Finished off nicely with the Myrsol - lovely.

A very different experience shaving today.
Congrats on that beautiful brush @Mark1966 - and a lovely line-up of products to christen it.

I suspect it is the Hydrovance(tm) that is added as I experience similar discomfort on occasions, I looked into it, however it is not approved for use or available in Australia from my searching.

@alfredus might be able to take a look and give his professional opinion (?)

https://sc.akzonobel.com/en/personalcare/Pages/product-detail.aspx?prodID=6683

Just did a very quick search - but since urea itself is known as an skin irritant, the addition of one alcohol group (hydroxyethyl) might not change that. I am not sure, why exactly urea is a skin irritant, but it is...

Seems also like the compound is not allowed to be used in all jurisdictions in cosmetics...so better avoid

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 3 Band
Soap: Mystic Water Jasmine
Razor: Herder 77 Square 6/8"
AS: Myrsol Formula K

The Herder is a great razor, but I do need to get used to the square tip as there were some close calls. The Shavemac D01 ate up the Mystic Water and produced another spectacular lather.

87b3edf1-9c7e-4b4c-95f9-2954916191e5
Pre-Shave: Mickey Lees Sandalwood Preshave butter​
Razor: Single pass with the Feather Shavette then 2 passes with the Mergress on 4​
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Brush: TSW Synth
Soap/Cream: P & B "Baskerville"
Balm / Splash: Chatillon Lux "Champs de Lavande" and Razorock XXX

Slowly gaining confidence with the shavette...thanks to some advice from members here (y)

First use of the "Baskerville" - probably one of the most unusual scents I've come across - I find it hard to describe - its "dark" , bitter, chemical-like, medicinal...but in a good way! Very interesting. Doesn't last too long and doesn't clash with the splash or balm. P & B describe as "inspired by the 17th century Russian method of curing leather with birch tar this scent also takes inspiration from Cuir de Russia. It smells of dark moorland and smoke. Labdanum, frankincense and cedarwood combine with the sweetness of tonka bean and the earthiness of vetiver. The smokey oiliness of birch tar presents itself at the end of the scent and binds everything together." I had no idea what that would smell like so I bought some - definitely a keeper.​

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (4)
Soap: Tim's Greek Peach
Brush: Body Shop
A/S: Cheapo Gillette

My package from Juan is taking forever! Went too quick today. 3 pass BBS again but got some irritation from the shave and the (alcohol included) AS. Also got a small cut on the Adam's apple trying a new method to go against the grain on my lower neck. Will slow down and remember the light pressure and low angle at all times. This is not a razor that forgives sloppy technique but I knew that and it's one of the things I like about it. Good to be reminded of that every now and then...

I feel I let the team down last night as I had a momentary lapse and used one of my superb SE GEMS. Great shave, amazing really - even a young man in his 30's or 40's could use one of them. I mentioned at our Adelaide get together I still have more blades than projected life span so if I start to shake dangerously I can always use an SE instead of a straight.

But -- I'm not shakin' yet so tonight was a delightful 2 pass ultra close, ultra smooth and immensely enjoyable straight razor shave. I nearly used a commercial shaving soap tonight but climbed back from the edge as I clutched maniacally to my Omega boar. For those unaware :) , boar is the bristle men use in their shaving brushes, unlike that hipster beard fluff marketed as badger.

Blade - Invicta 6/8" full hollow finished on a Coticule with oil.
Soap - Home brew
Brush - Omega 11126
Post - Macadamia nut oil/Lemon myrtle

Only 24 hours to go.

shave_1_of_1.jpg

Pre - Hot towel
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - B&M Leviathan
Razor - Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade - Astra SP, Rapira Chrome
Post Shave - Alum, TSW After Balm

Went for a night shave today, to get out of the house early tomorrow. I haven't used an Astra blade for a while, but really didn't enjoy it in this razor for some reason. Ended up swapping it out for a smoother Rapira blade.
The Alum gave me a bit of feedback tonight!

I feel I let the team down last night as I had a momentary lapse and used one of my superb SE GEMS. Great shave, amazing really - even a young man in his 30's or 40's could use one of them. I mentioned at our Adelaide get together I still have more blades than projected life span so if I start to shake dangerously I can always use an SE instead of a straight.

But -- I'm not shakin' yet so tonight was a delightful 2 pass ultra close, ultra smooth and immensely enjoyable straight razor shave. I nearly used a commercial shaving soap tonight but climbed back from the edge as I clutched maniacally to my Omega boar. For those unaware :) , boar is the bristle men use in their shaving brushes, unlike that hipster beard fluff marketed as badger.

Blade - Invicta 6/8" full hollow finished on a Coticule with oil.
Soap - Home brew
Brush - Omega 11126
Post - Macadamia nut oil/Lemon myrtle

Only 24 hours to go.
Sorry @bald as but boar is the thing you put on a spit and roast :D

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 3 Band
Soap: Mystic Water Jasmine
Razor: Herder 77 Square 6/8"
AS: Myrsol Formula K

The Herder is a great razor, but I do need to get used to the square tip as there were some close calls. The Shavemac D01 ate up the Mystic Water and produced another spectacular lather.

I don't see a picture, so I don't believe you :D

Sorry @bald as but boar is the thing you put on a spit and roast :D

Did you just say pork chops :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.