Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SI (5)
Brush: TSW 452/28 Synth
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum and TSW After Balm

This blade really goes well in the Standard. Shave #5 and still a DFS, easily another shave in it. If they have genuinely ceased production of this blade, I will be annoyed.

HqnDQXl.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water - Viola di Bosco
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest Salve
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest Aftershave

Another certainty for regular rotation, Violets, Vetiver and Basil form the scent of Viola di Bosco and like the other Mystic samples, it lathers a real treat. I decided it would pair well with the now discontinued La Forêt de Liguest and I was not far wrong, I will definitely be doing a splash and balm for this Mystic scent - it's a nice summer/warm weather scent that is sweet but not overpowering in the floral notes (some florals are way to sweet for my liking) and it enjoys a nice balance of green vs floral that with a little work will be superb.

The same 2 passes with a nice clean off in cold water prior to applying the excellent salve and aftershave. A very nice Wednesday shave!

Have a good day Gentlemen and enjoy your shaves! :)

Pre-Shave: Mickey Lees Sandalwood Preshave butter
Razor: Single pass with the Feather Shavette then 2 passes with the Mergress on 4
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Brush: TSW Synth
Soap/Cream: P & B "Baskerville"
Balm / Splash: Chatillon Lux "Champs de Lavande" and Razorock XXX

Slowly gaining confidence with the shavette...thanks to some advice from members here (y)

First use of the "Baskerville" - probably one of the most unusual scents I've come across - I find it hard to describe - its "dark" , bitter, chemical-like, medicinal...but in a good way! Very interesting. Doesn't last too long and doesn't clash with the splash or balm. P & B describe as "inspired by the 17th century Russian method of curing leather with birch tar this scent also takes inspiration from Cuir de Russia. It smells of dark moorland and smoke. Labdanum, frankincense and cedarwood combine with the sweetness of tonka bean and the earthiness of vetiver. The smokey oiliness of birch tar presents itself at the end of the scent and binds everything together." I had no idea what that would smell like so I bought some - definitely a keeper.​

Thank you for a fantastic description of the scent, how did the actual soap perform (aside from the scent) ?

da92add8f20684c71fb5923938f41947.jpg

Thought I would try the executive man sample to see if there was the same irritation. Big thanks to Todras for the sample. I didn't experience the same irritation, so thinking it may be one of the fragrance oils (though I don't get the same irritation from the barbershop balm or soap??). I'm lost, but might just pair Stirling with Myrsol from now on :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette L 1 (birth year) Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (8)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Terri d'Henri Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Terri d'Henri Aftershave Balm

When the clock has a 4 at the beginning of the time when you are shaving it is never a good thing ...

Early start today delayed by loading this beast of a brush - I'm sure it takes longer, although it probably does feel nicer.

Great lather, blade still going strong and soothing post shave feel.

Ahhhh.

Happy hump day guys

Thank you for a fantastic description of the scent, how did the actual soap perform (aside from the scent) ?

Good point @todras! Sorry I was overwhelmed by how to describe the scent...
Performance of the soap was fantastic - great creamy lather with either a Boar or Synth brush, and nice post shave feel with no dryness. I must say that most artisan soaps I've used these days seem to be of a pretty high standard, with the scents the major differentiating factor for me. The only really crap soap I've tried is Col Conk Bay Rum a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early start today delayed by loading this beast of a brush - I'm sure it takes longer, although it probably does feel nicer.

You must be simply reeling from wielding such a massive 24mm monolith of a thing!

Thought I would try the executive man sample to see if there was the same irritation. Big thanks to Todras for the sample. I didn't experience the same irritation, so thinking it may be one of the fragrance oils (though I don't get the same irritation from the barbershop balm or soap??). I'm lost, but might just pair Stirling with Myrsol from now on

Well, all Stirling splashes have Hydrovance in them, it is possible it is the Barbershop fragrance oil, or one of it's components or equally as possible is an environmental reaction or a skin reaction itself. From my reading (not a dermatologist, no medical training) there are so many factors that cause irritation. That being said I do get the occasional reaction from Stirling Barbershop - and only Stirling barbershop which is interesting.

Well, all Stirling splashes have Hydrovance in them, it is possible it is the Barbershop fragrance oil, or one of it's components or equally as possible is an environmental reaction or a skin reaction itself. From my reading (not a dermatologist, no medical training) there are so many factors that cause irritation. That being said I do get the occasional reaction from Stirling Barbershop - and only Stirling barbershop which is interesting.
I use Stirling Gentleman splash as well and haven't had any problems with that one either. Plenty of others to keep me amused though :)

Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (5)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Tallow V3
Brush: Body Shop
ASB: Bulldog Original

15th shave with this razor and I believe I might be getting the hang of it. Went for 3.5 passes WTG or XTG today - no ATG. No irritation, weepers or cuts = no fuss - I can go a bit faster like this as ATG requires just that little bit of extra time and care. Result is not BBS but still a damn fine shave... but when you can get BBS so easily why settle for less? Either way, things have noticeably sped up, particularly around my chin and mo.

I expect the sweet spot of time vs quality with this razor for me will likely end up as 3 passes - WTG/ATG/ATG. Too much gets left behind with just one ATG pass and the BBS feel is fantastic with two. Will try to focus on this next time... but still good to know I can get a SAS / CCS with 2 quick WTG passes if I'm in a hurry. Or DFS with 3.5 WTG as an option to change it up.

eb371cf759df269d8a42be01fb143ccf.jpg

Brush: Thater 4125/1
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Gillette Spoiler
Soap: P&B Baskerville
A/S: Real Shaving Balm

Spoiler has had its last shave. Excellent lather as usual from the P&B soap. Scent is a very hard one to describe, similar to Spitfire but much, much dirtier.

@Nightguard - much dirtier than Spitfire sounds very interesting!

You must be simply reeling from wielding such a massive 24mm monolith of a thing!

Yep - most of mine are 18/20 mm :)

4a5d995100f5f0c9aaa3ede19511d09c.jpg

3P preshave
Shavemac Barber
Lebelle Barbershop
Cobra Classic
Feather Pro (8)
Fine American Blend

The feather blade seems to be running out of gas. I've struggled to get in double figures with these blades. Not sure if it's my hard water causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.