Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette British Rocket
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Brush: Muhle Travel Synth
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Arlington Shave Stick
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Ozark Mountains balm

Shaving on the road. Needed a blade to take so grabbed the Derby. Good first run!

vflpthT.jpg

SOTN (9/11/2016)

Pre:
Hot shower/Clinique Face Soap
Razor: iKon OSS
Blade: Voskhod (5th use)
Brush: Panta Rei Custom Manchurian
Soap/Cream: SH Diamonds & Pearls
AS: Thayer’s Lemon/Lucido
Balm: SH Summer Breeze
Fragrance: Versace Pour Homme EDT

G45lBHe.jpg

Occam's Original Pre Shave
St James of London 26mm Silvertip
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water Sweet Briar
aPR - GL Post Shave Balm
Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe Aftershave

An interesting scent this morning from Mystic, a sweet briar which to my nose smelt a lot like a very sweet pipe tobacco. Again a very nice lather that carried the sweet, interesting scent. Not a soap that will see regular rotation however, the scent being fairly basic. I took the opportunity to road test the new balm which smelt fantastic, the commercial base I have used in this is identical to another well regarded Australian post shave balm however I have chosen to exclude the fragrance oils in favor of essential oils and especially the menthol - it being a fougère after all. Finished up with the sweet smelling Cologne Russe which is always a pleasure to use and worked well with the balm. A great Thursday shave!​

Pre - Hot towel
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - B&M Leviathan
Razor - Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade - Rapira Chrome (2)
Post Shave - Alum, TSW After Balm, Proraso Sandalwood Aftershave

Lovely smooth shave this morning, zero alum feedback.
Finished it off with a touch of Proraso Sandalwood Aftershave.
Nice!

I feel I let the team down last night as I had a momentary lapse and used one of my superb SE GEMS. Great shave, amazing really - even a young man in his 30's or 40's could use one of them. I mentioned at our Adelaide get together I still have more blades than projected life span so if I start to shake dangerously I can always use an SE instead of a straight.

But -- I'm not shakin' yet so tonight was a delightful 2 pass ultra close, ultra smooth and immensely enjoyable straight razor shave. I nearly used a commercial shaving soap tonight but climbed back from the edge as I clutched maniacally to my Omega boar. For those unaware :) , boar is the bristle men use in their shaving brushes, unlike that hipster beard fluff marketed as badger.

Blade - Invicta 6/8" full hollow finished on a Coticule with oil.
Soap - Home brew
Brush - Omega 11126
Post - Macadamia nut oil/Lemon myrtle

Only 24 hours to go.

I've got to try one of these SE's as they do get some rave reviews. I even have one off vintage GEM blade sitting here on my desk at work for some reason. I'll PM you re advice on purchasing same.

20161110_SOTDS_zpsyo8wrotp.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Purple Haze
Lather: OSP Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Needed a close and comfortable DE shave today - and boy did the BBS-1 deliver. My fourth pass was more a clean-up than a real pass, as there was not much stubble left. I saw someone offering a car for this razor...unless it is a very nice car, I think the razor is worth more :D :D :D

Today was also my first use of OSP - again many thanks to @nsavage for the generous deal and the personal delivery (y)(y)(y)

I won't comment too much at this early stage - lather picture can be seen here - just that the post-shave is heavenly and the scent is closer to Mike's Bay Rum but has a bit of the sweetness from Stirling's version.

I hope you all have a great day!

Shavemac - Wallis Knives 8/8" quarter - Stirling MITA - PAA Al Fi
Another lovely shave today. The MITA seemed like it was refusing to load! Maybe because it's a sample and has been sitting with no cover and hence drying out. I'm not sure but after an eternity I did get a great lather which fortunately turned out to be just enough for 3.5 passes (second ATG on the neck only).

The edge on the trial blade is evolving nicely - 14 or so shaves in since it last saw a hone. Loosing sharpness and gaining comfort. I'm only talking minute incremental changes so neither is close to going out of the comfort zone but it is interesting how edges evolve. Something you DE/SE crowd miss out on.

I do love Al Fin and I am very glad the temperature has come up enough to warrant it's use. I began to wonder if I should try the matching soap or not. Then there is the sister scent - Otra.. maybe I should try that? Thing is I hate to be disappointed...

20161110_SOTDS_zpsyo8wrotp.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Purple Haze
Lather: OSP Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Needed a close and comfortable DE shave today - and boy did the BBS-1 deliver. My fourth pass was more a clean-up than a real pass, as there was not much stubble left. I saw someone offering a car for this razor...unless it is a very nice car, I think the razor is worth more :D :D :D

Today was also my first use of OSP - again many thanks to @nsavage for the generous deal and the personal delivery (y)(y)(y)

I won't comment too much at this early stage - lather picture can be seen here - just that the post-shave is heavenly and the scent is closer to Mike's Bay Rum but has a bit of the sweetness from Stirling's version.

I hope you all have a great day!
@alfredus that brush and razor combo looks terrible perhaps you had best sell both to me :LOL:
:ROFLMAO::giggle:

Proraso Preshave
Kramperts "Arcadian Spice" soap
Semogue Boar
Feather AC SS + Mergers with Permasharp
Dapper Dragon "Signature" balm
Ogalalla Bay Rum Splash

So far so good with the Feather - almost completing one full WTG pass with no major haemorrhage!!
Loving the Kramperts - my idea of a true "Bay Rum scent" and matches perfectly with the Ogalalla.
Enjoy your day guys

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (6)
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Brush: Body Shop
ASB: Bulldog Original

WTG/ATG/ATG today and a great 95% BBS result in 20 mins. Still like that 5 hours later. Stuffed up the angle under my chin with a stroke on the last pass and got a few weepers there. Can't let that concentration slip...

Hmmm...let me think about it :D

HcYlI5P.jpg

Third run with the Leresche today and you can read some further thoughts on the razor here https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...tage-leresche-77-razor.2971/page-3#post-83940.

Stirling Soaps never fail to deliver and the first run with the Bay Rum was no exception. Although the soap smelt a little overpowering straight out of the tub it settled down in to a fantastic Bay Rum aroma once lathered. The Romera is an outstanding brush and easily ranks in the top tier in my modest collection.

Great shaves are what it is all about for me. I noted that today marks the one year anniversary for me receiving my first razor and starting my wonderful wet shaving journey :). I have some extra special shaves planned over the next day or so to celebrate :D

Shavemac - Wallis Knives 8/8" quarter - Stirling MITA - PAA Al Fi
Another lovely shave today. The MITA seemed like it was refusing to load! Maybe because it's a sample and has been sitting with no cover and hence drying out. I'm not sure but after an eternity I did get a great lather which fortunately turned out to be just enough for 3.5 passes (second ATG on the neck only).

The edge on the trial blade is evolving nicely - 14 or so shaves in since it last saw a hone. Loosing sharpness and gaining comfort. I'm only talking minute incremental changes so neither is close to going out of the comfort zone but it is interesting how edges evolve. Something you DE/SE crowd miss out on.

I do love Al Fin and I am very glad the temperature has come up enough to warrant it's use. I began to wonder if I should try the matching soap or not. Then there is the sister scent - Otra.. maybe I should try that? Thing is I hate to be disappointed...

Ive got the Otra soap and splash - I like it and heard it described as "Al Fins dirty cousin" but it really reminds me of washing powder / freshly washed clothes!! The splash is quite strong - definitely one for spring /summer! Happy to send you a sample if you like - shoot me a PM :)

1e3461c7d1cc326c816ca4f5c43c44c3.jpg

Brush: M7
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: Aussie Spoiler
Soap: Jabonman Haitian Vetiver
A/S: Fine Clean Vetiver

Don't know why but nothing about today's shave was great. My face had some sort of reaction to the soap, ended up with several weepers and for the first time in a long time, some very nasty razor burn. Nothing some alum couldn't sort out but not what I've come to expect from Jabonman soap.

Status
Not open for further replies.