Status
Not open for further replies.
1e3461c7d1cc326c816ca4f5c43c44c3.jpg

Brush: M7
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: Aussie Spoiler
Soap: Jabonman Haitian Vetiver
A/S: Fine Clean Vetiver

Don't know why but nothing about today's shave was great. My face had some sort of reaction to the soap, ended up with several weepers and for the first time in a long time, some very nasty razor burn. Nothing some alum couldn't sort out but not what I've come to expect from Jabonman soap.

This happens. And when it does, I appreciate the honesty of Forum members in telling it like it is.
Great post, @Nightguard.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 10 November 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - Phoenix Symmetry Open Comb
Blade: - German Wilkinson Sword #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Speick Aftershave Splash

Wet shavers who complain about Arko shaving stick I can a sure you it doesn't smell like urine from the men room, it just smell like a weak soft clean lemon scent is not strong or sharp under my nose and is 100% perfectly safe from Turkey (y);) now get your bum out there online and buy some Arko shaving sticks or a whole box for 12 pieces from @King of Authentic Shave

Last edited:
zJVkCGq.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water - Brown Windsor
aPR - PC
Beaver Woodwright - Thomas Tew

Rosemary, Spice and herbaceous flowers in the last Mystic sample of this weeks sample run. Quite a pleasant scent and one that again would lend itself to cooler months. I used a little more in the bottom of the bowl this morning - certainly not extravagant amounts but say an almonds and a half worth which produced so much rich buttery lather it was silly.

I felt like the undertones of a Vetiver this morning, it worked very well with the spice and herbaceous Brown Windor soap and was thoroughly soothing as a balm. Topped it off with the citrus florals of the BW aftershave for a nice Friday shave without complaint.

Shave well Gentlemen! (y)

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 2 Band
Soap: i Coloniali
Razor: Kropp 5/8"
AS: Alt Innsbruck

So according Bernd my D01 3 Band is actually a D01 2 Band. No wonder I have found it super scrubby.
A lovely, smooth straight shave. And in the morning to boot.

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage Gillette British Rocket
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Brush: Muhle Travel Synth
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Arlington Shave Stick
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Ozark Mountains balm

Fairly impressed with the Derby Premium so far.

acc247c182c4a7b3fec17c93482bac7e.jpg

Dedicated shave this morning to Mark1966 and King of authentic shaves. I forgotten how good shaver heaven non-tallow was. The Drogon Noir and Soap commander balm are actually quite a good match. The balm has quite a nice menthol kick as well, which was unexpected, but very welcome on a sticky hot Brisbane morning. The derby premium went well in the Rockwell on #2 this morning. Going to up it to #4 tomorrow for a good test.

Happy Friday everyone!

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 2 Band
Soap: i Coloniali
Razor: Kropp 5/8"
AS: Alt Innsbruck

So according Bernd my D01 3 Band is actually a D01 2 Band. No wonder I have found it super scrubby.
A lovely, smooth straight shave. And in the morning to boot.
Strange it certainly looks like a 3 band in the photos.

I know. I was speaking to Bernd about it because I was really surprised at just how scrubby it was. To the point of scritchy. He asked for a photo and then replied that it was their mistake and was a 2 band. Sometimes 2 bands do have that extra bit peaking up at the bottom. I guess he knows his brushes though. Anyway, we are discussing ways of rectifying this. He's offered to replace the knot, but I'm getting to the point where I'm enjoying the scrubbiness. It certainly is a point of difference to my other Shavemac.

1HZUS1Il.jpg

Like @SydBJW I too received a PAA Prismatic razor this week. I swapped out the handle for the TSW Bren for a bit more weight. With more use I'll post my thoughts and comparison with the original Kirby Beard razor that it's modelled on.

@Psmith

Maybe... Two band actually has three bands just that usually the lower brown section is unseen inside the handle. My Shavemac 2 band shows a bit of the brown at the base, likely because I opted for extra loft. The Americana is listed at 2 band on the website, so did you order a custom Americana?

@Psmith

Maybe... Two band actually has three bands just that usually the lower brown section is unseen inside the handle. My Shavemac 2 band shows a bit of the brown at the base, likely because I opted for extra loft. The Americana is listed at 2 band on the website, so did you order a custom Americana?
@Psmith

To me your Americana certainly looks more like a 3 band than a 2 band. If you look at the stock photos on the Shavemac website the knot is distinctly a 2 band knot.

I0tmWf4.jpg

I agree that some 2 bands show an additional band under the dark band based upon the way the knot has been set in the handle (I have some 2 bands that definitely show an additional band under the black band but it is generally not a lot and not overly prominent)

Compare yours to the Colonia 3 band and they look more identical than the Americana 2 band in the first picture.

Your brush:

hagKnzp.jpg

Colonia Silvertip D01 3 band (stock photo):

lCEvcxU.jpg

Remember that there is a language barrier with Bernd (unless you speak German of course) and this may cause some confusion. @alfredus does speak fluent German and I am sure he would be happy to help you out if required (I would also be interested to hear his thoughts on the above).

Please don;t take me the wrong way either I am not in anyway saying that there is anything wrong about your brush or anything of that nature. Once you get in to the Shavemac D01 knots I don;t believe that you can go wrong with either a 2 or 3 band brush.

Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SI (6)
Brush: TSW 452/28 Synth
Soap: SH Fig & Brown Sugar
After: TSW After Balm

I normally shave at night, but was too tired last night. Got up a bit early this morning and did a quick 2-pass for a very nice SAS.
Great feel from the SH soap.

I am impressed with the blade, it's continuing to shave well. I'm not trying to get maximum shaves from it, but it hasn't dropped off significantly yet.

@Psmith

It was ordered on the older website but yes it was a custom.

@Psmith

@Psmith

To me your Americana certainly looks more like a 3 band than a 2 band. If you look at the stock photos on the Shavemac website the knot is distinctly a 2 band knot.

I0tmWf4.jpg

I agree that some 2 bands show an additional band under the dark band based upon the way the knot has been set in the handle (I have some 2 bands that definitely show an additional band under the black band but it is generally not a lot and not overly prominent)

Compare yours to the Colonia 3 band and they look more identical than the Americana 2 band in the first picture.

Your brush:

hagKnzp.jpg

Colonia Silvertip D01 3 band (stock photo):

lCEvcxU.jpg

Remember that there is a language barrier with Bernd (unless you speak German of course) and this may cause some confusion. @alfredus does speak fluent German and I am sure he would be happy to help you out if required (I would also be interested to hear his thoughts on the above).

Please don;t take me the wrong way either I am not in anyway saying that there is anything wrong about your brush or anything of that nature. Once you get in to the Shavemac D01 knots I don;t believe that you can go wrong with either a 2 or 3 band brush.
I totally agree. I'm just repeating what Bernd said. I never even thought it could be the case. Can't believe it could be miscommunication though. I was asked for pics of my brush and sent them, Bernd then said it was a 2 band knot. I'm not bothered at all. It's a great knot, just different to what I expected for 3 band. Anyway, I've been offered a replacement or a discount. Shavemac are doing more than they need to to ensure I am happy.

I totally agree. I'm just repeating what Bernd said. I never even thought it could be the case. Can't believe it could be miscommunication though. I was asked for pics of my brush and sent them, Bernd then said it was a 2 band knot. I'm not bothered at all. It's a great knot, just different to what I expected for 3 band. Anyway, I've been offered a replacement or a discount. Shavemac are doing more than they need to to ensure I am happy.
I have to agree in regards to Bernd's customer service as it is fantastic.

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX Non-Folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (7)
Soap: Tim's Greek Peach
Brush: Body Shop
ASB: Bulldog Original

Another 3 pass (WTG/ATG/ATG) 90% BBS shave today. Two small weepers near the corners of my mouth - I'm moving a lot faster around my chin now and these might be telling me the speed limit! This is definitely a beard reduction razor - I am yet to find a way to get a great result without doing three passes - otherwise there are always bits I miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.