Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
91c98d604a80f5b9d152e5bdae29ff34.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (5)
EDT: Knize Ten

Was after a soothing shave after the skin irritation I suffered last time out. Thus, a line-up of tried and tested products for my skin. The Haslinger Schafmilch soap is both comforting and a stellar performer - probably my desert island soap.
Also cracked a new bottle of Myrsol Emulsion.
The result was a lovely, 3 pass shave with no irritation and just one small weeper on the neck.
I am starting to see why the vintage English Gillette Platinum blades are so highly prized. 5 shaves so far, and the blade remains smooth and very sharp.
Just the shave I was hoping for - so I say Hallelujah, and RIP Leonard.

I technically had 3 days growth for tonight's shave - :) and what a shave :)
You know, one of those shaves that right from the first pass of the straight you know it is a 10/10.
Tonight's blade was a very inexpensive 6/8" XY brand from china that took an edge as good as any blade I have. Very smooth [thanks in part to the oil finish on my Coticule] and really nice to shave with.
My Omega boar rounded out a great lather.
I will have to try to remember the recipe for the current soap as it is excellent.
DFS++
No nicks, cuts or irritation.
Well that's it, no pics so maybe next time.

IVH4S1z.jpg

Today marks a year since my first shave with a DE razor. Who would have thought that you could save so much money using a DE razor :LOL:!

To mark the occasion I decided to go back to where it all began (or as close as possible anyway). The EJ DE89 was my first DE and still gives me a wonderful easy and close shave every time I pick it up. Caties Bubbles does not get as much love and recognition here in Australia as I think it deserves. Sure it does not take as much water as some other soaps but it still provides a lather of outstanding quality. Le Piment de la Vie was my first experience with an artisan soap and is still one of my favorite scents. The Razorock 24mm Synthetic does not get as much use and is lost amongst the badger brushes these days but I remember that when I first got this brush it quickly became my favorite. Today it reminded me why I enjoyed it so much. So easy to use and care for and makes an excellent lather.

All in all a great trip back down memory lane and a wonderful shave. Not only has this hobby vastly improved what used to be a daily chore for me but it has also provided me with many new experiences and best of all I have met so many wonderful people and made some friends along the way. I look forward to saving so much more money in the years to come :D.

IVH4S1z.jpg

Today marks a year since my first shave with a DE razor. Who would have thought that you could save so much money using a DE razor :LOL:!

To mark the occasion I decided to go back to where it all began (or as close as possible anyway). The EJ DE89 was my first DE and still gives me a wonderful easy and close shave every time I pick it up. Caties Bubbles does not get as much love and recognition here in Australia as I think it deserves. Sure it does not take as much water as some other soaps but it still provides a lather of outstanding quality. Le Piment de la Vie was my first experience with an artisan soap and is still one of my favorite scents. The Razorock 24mm Synthetic does not get as much use and is lost amongst the badger brushes these days but I remember that when I first got this brush it quickly became my favorite. Today it reminded me why I enjoyed it so much. So easy to use and care for and makes an excellent lather.

All in all a great trip back down memory lane and a wonderful shave. Not only has this hobby vastly improved what used to be a daily chore for me but it has also provided me with many new experiences and best of all I have met so many wonderful people and made some friends along the way. I look forward to saving so much more money in the years to come :D.

@nsavage are you having frog legs with you're Le Piment De La Vie :p:D

food2.jpg

WSggyio.jpg
Lada is a reasonable middle ground blade, that I would not go out of my way for, yet is quite usable if it's your only option.
Phillips Fougere to me at least, is very strongly weighted towards a grapefruit scent.
37c is going nowhere without a fight.
Same deal for the Thater, well for now at least...
Coconut oil infused with tropical Gardenia as a post shave balm now its warm enough to no longer remain entirly solid.
A decent two pass touch up overall.

Has a lot of similarities to earlier SH vegan soaps imo...

Razor: Vintage Gillette British Rocket
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Brush: Muhle Travel Synth
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Arlington Shave Stick
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Ozark Mountains balm

RcygyT4.jpg

Pre La Toja
Simpson CH1
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
L&L/Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Shaving Soap
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave

I had been waiting all week for this shave, having committed to a week of using the Mystic Water samples. Good to excellent lather from the L&L, it's a semi soft 'croap' in the tub and excessive pre-loading could be an issue I suspect if I am not careful. The scent was lovely from what I could tell, I woke up this morning with great plans but have come down with a nasty flu and can barely smell a thing. It's a weekend in bed I'm thinking.

Enjoy your Saturday shaves Gents :)

I had been waiting all week for this shave...
The scent was lovely from what I could tell, I woke up this morning with great plans but have come down with a nasty flu and can barely smell a thing. It's a weekend in bed I'm thinking.

No!!!! That's sad to hear mate. Get better soon...

I was getting excited for you...
Fougère! Fougère! Fougère!

And then [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Rest up and hope you have a quick recovery.
(Sadly this would mean no extra progress on your aftershave project... Bummer!)

IVH4S1z.jpg

Today marks a year since my first shave with a DE razor. Who would have thought that you could save so much money using a DE razor [emoji38]!

Now that would have been a stellar first shave I believe - great job (y)
WSggyio.jpg
Lada is a reasonable middle ground blade, that I would not go out of my way for, yet is quite usable if it's your only option.
Phillips Fougere to me at least, is very strongly weighted towards a grapefruit scent.
37c is going nowhere without a fight.
Same deal for the Thater, well for now at least...
Coconut oil infused with tropical Gardenia as a post shave balm now its warm enough to no longer remain entirly solid.
A decent two pass touch up overall.
Wonderful Thater - what a shame this handle is going out if business...
RcygyT4.jpg

Pre La Toja
Simpson CH1
ATT Colossus R1
Feather

I had been waiting all week for this shave, having committed to a week of using the Mystic Water samples. Good to excellent lather from the L&L, it's a semi soft 'croap' in the tub and excessive pre-loading could be an issue I suspect if I am not careful. The scent was lovely from what I could tell, I woke up this morning with great plans but have come down with a nasty flu and can barely smell a thing. It's a weekend in bed I'm thinking.

Beautiful picture my friend - hope you get better soon (y)

Wonderful Thater - what a shame this handle is going out if business...
Say what?
Just this handle design being retired or the entire company?

Say what?
Just this handle design being retired or the entire company?
This German shop can get any Thater brush you want:
http://shop.nassrasur.com/
If you look at your one (49125) it says, that Thater cannot get any new Plexi handles, most sizes (0,1,2,5) are already sold out and with the others they hope to still be able to get one (size 3,4)

Of course there is still stock floating around in the world, but that plexi handle will be gone...

I suppose that there's ways around this for those astute enough, yet this is still sad news, as this is their best looking brush!

RcygyT4.jpg

Pre La Toja
Simpson CH1
ATT Colossus R1
Feather

Rest up @todras - take care of that nose - you need it for the aftershave project!!

Status
Not open for further replies.