Status
Not open for further replies.
79c3511407727ab57b2afca0de9b04d4.jpg

Shavemac 24mm Custom
Gillette New Short Comb
Derby Premium (1)
Shaver Heaven Choc Delight
PAA - CaD

Nice shave. Couple of weepers but I'm a "once in a blue moon" DE user so could be me. Blade seems good thus far.

20161112_SOTD_S_Vig_zpsqdlnqqcv.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Doug Korn Epsilon 2-band
Lather: OSP Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

I was not very happy with my lather today (picture here). I thought the soap needs more water at the beginning - very wrong! I ended up with this airy mess, that needed a lot of work on my face. While for many this lather might look fantastic, for me it doesn't work.

The shave itself was actually quiet nice - I attribute it to the residual slickness of the soap and of course the stellar razor. But it was not as close as I like...

XTmHpbO.jpg

Occam's Original Pre Shave Soap
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Eufros - Dama De Noche
Eufros - Dama De Noche
aPR - GL Aftershave

Dama De Noche -
The famed lady of the night, best described as a sugar sweet Jasmine flower that's very pleasant, very different, complex and quite unusual. After a rough night with the flu I was really looking forward to this shave.The expected superb quality from Manuel's Eufros soap was immediately apparent... easy to load, easy to lather and an absolute pleasure to shave with. I love the smart, stylish, clean lines of the artwork and the presentation of soap tub and balm tube too - Flawless.

There is not one aspect of this soap I could fault, all round grade A, small run, flawless artisan produce and worth every cent. The balm is quite good too, some interesting and different compounds included for sure and a thinner consistency than most post shave balms, but again excellent performance and I'm glad to be able to take some of the scent with me. Finished up with some of my own aftershave, it worked well with the soap and balm - the parts of it I could actually smell.

XTmHpbO.jpg

Occam's Original Pre Shave Soap
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Eufros - Dama De Noche
Eufros - Dama De Noche
aPR - GL Aftershave

Dama De Noche -
The famed lady of the night, best described as a sugar sweet Jasmine flower that's very pleasant, very different, complex and quite unusual. After a rough night with the flu I was really looking forward to this shave.The expected superb quality from Manuel's Eufros soap was immediately apparent... easy to load, easy to lather and an absolute pleasure to shave with. I love the smart, stylish, clean lines of the artwork and the presentation of soap tub and balm tube too - Flawless.

There is not one aspect of this soap I could fault, all round grade A, small run, flawless artisan produce and worth every cent. The balm is quite good too, some interesting and different compounds included for sure and a thinner consistency than most post shave balms, but again excellent performance and I'm glad to be able to take some of the scent with me. Finished up with some of my own aftershave, it worked well with the soap and balm - the parts of it I could actually smell.

Glad to hear you liked the scent. I think previous "bad" jasmine scents overdone by family in my youth (air fresheners, scented candles etc.) may have wrecked it for me. I ended up selling mine ;)

Glad to hear you liked the scent. I think previous "bad" jasmine scents overdone by family in my youth (air fresheners, scented candles etc.) may have wrecked it for me. I ended up selling mine ;)

Oh man that's tough, a lot of people are like that with Rose scents due to years of nasty imitations or bad memories of them. The pure jasmine scent of jasminium grandiflorium (not Dama De Noche) is divine.

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: Rockwell 6S with iKon OSS Handle (4,2)
Blade: Polsilver SI (5)
Soap: MWF
Brush: Omega Boar

Great shave this morning. I had written off the 6S a couple of months ago.
I'm really glad that I gave it another run with the Polsilver.
I also love the fact that I can start with more aggression at the start, and back it off for the XTG and ATG passes.
I don't often do an ATG pass, but the 6S does let me get away with it with less irritation than my other razors.
Altogether, a BBS shave with quite a happy face! (y)

ex58782.jpg

Merkur 41C / Astra SP
Simpson Colonel X2L
Musgo Real Oak Moss
Alum / Brut AS Original (EURO) / Natio Maximum ASB
I used Musgo Real for the first time 4 days ago and it produced an amazing shave. Its very slick and moisturising, however, you do need to work it a bit while lathering and eventually a creamy luxurious lather starts coming alive - magical stuff. The scent is fresh, maybe slightly sweet, but subtle. Today's shave with it was OK, but I should have used more cream as it was bit thin during the last pass (You live & learn). I'm looking forward to using this cream more often.

Happy shaving everyone !!!

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Soap: L&L Grooming Cuir et Eice
Blade: Friodur 250 5/6"

Today everything fell into place (stropping, lather, angles) and I got the shave that I always imagined straights were capable of. Although if you would have told me 3 weeks ago that I would be able to shave like this I would have laughed bitterly. Until now I was yet to shave as close with a straight as I can with an R41 or iKon Tech. Well, today I got there (except for a stupid nick on my top lip).
Oh, and I've said it before, but this L&L Grooming soap is top shelf stuff. A very happy shave,

91c98d604a80f5b9d152e5bdae29ff34.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (5)
EDT: Knize Ten

Was after a soothing shave after the skin irritation I suffered last time out. Thus, a line-up of tried and tested products for my skin. The Haslinger Schafmilch soap is both comforting and a stellar performer - probably my desert island soap.
Also cracked a new bottle of Myrsol Emulsion.
The result was a lovely, 3 pass shave with no irritation and just one small weeper on the neck.
I am starting to see why the vintage English Gillette Platinum blades are so highly prized. 5 shaves so far, and the blade remains smooth and very sharp.
Just the shave I was hoping for - so I say Hallelujah, and RIP Leonard.

Always on the lookout for that Knize Ten.

A rebellious shave tonight. None of my usual players.
Razor GEM 1919
Soap Mystic Waters
Brush Restored Rubberset with badger knot.

I will be as honest as I can be.

Mystic waters gets a good wrap from a lot of people and it is a good average soap. It seemed to do all things well but nothing spectacular. Lather was good and was well hydrated. Was easy to load but care needs to taken with the amount of water initially in the brush. My brush was not wet. Lather creation was easy and did its job. The actual shave was fine with no pulling but with a safety style razor the lather felt a bit thin and lacking a good secure feeling of protection.
Now the really important aspect - the scent - yes it had some.
The post shave feel was quite strange as while I felt the actual shave was a bit lacking protection, the post shave was far too greasy. To me this indicates too high a superfat %.
After the shave my skin feels oily and is also prickly which probably indicates some mild irritation to the Moroccan fragrance. I would rate this soap as about 6.5/10. Just a touch above average.

Badgers don't do it for me so back to a broken in boar tomorrow night. They do look fancy and very "pretty" but remind me of a 16th or 17th century dandy/fop. Whereas a boar is a hard working serf who has no pretense and understands the task at hand.

Remember these are only my opinions but are valid to me.

The GEM 1919 rescued an otherwise uninspiring shave due to good but only average items. The 1919 is one of the best GEM's I have.

So there you have it. I confess to being hard to please with my shaves but tonight's didn't ring many bells for me.

ada7b56418bb8fb0bb511db97d5ada67.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary Tallow
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (6)
A/S: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary Balm

Just love the SH 1st Anniversary scent. Whilst the label on the container says Vegan, it is in fact the Tallow formulation. @Anthony of Shaver Heaven had a little mix-up with his printer, but all good. The lather was silky, slick and luxurious.
Man this blade is sharp! It is smooth and you don't appreciate the sharpness until your stubble disappears and you get the occasional microdot of claret.
3 pass with clean up, for a DFS+.
Lovely post shave feel with no irritation. Couldn't resist the 1st Anniversary vibe and finished with the matching Balm.

Pre: Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Wolfwhiskers Envy White Supreme
Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: HG Razor Custom Suminagashi Kamisori
Post: alum, witch hazel, TSW After Balm, Santa Maria del Fiore splash

P&B soaps are thirsty soaps. Previous few uses, I underloaded it. Resulted with lather that dried out too fast. But not today [emoji2]

I need to get back into light and slow touches, achieved a very close shave but did left my skin a little tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.