Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday 13 November 2016

SOTD-13112016.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point

A fabulous shave, super smooth and velvety, this Mastro Livi Grifone proves to be an incredible shaver as well as proving the superior craftsmanship and talent of Mastro Livi in forging steel and making straight razors. Not to mention his sixty-years expertise in honing to perfection any blade, something you can tell thanks to the velvety, close and irritation free shave you get. I am also proud of this razor because it was named after the coat of arms of Perugia - the city where I was born and live, the same where Mastro Livi works and makes his masterpieces - having an extra full hollow grinding and making the blade singing while shaving. Absolutely beautiful and awesome. I also used my beloved Mastro Livi "Pennello Italiano" (Italian brush) a super silvertip badger shave brush having the Italian flag insert in the handle. A special mention for both the Vitos verde shaving soap - very popular among professional barbers - as well as the after shave Edelstein Evolution Ice Line, a lotion destined to professional barbers and very effective, doing a very good job with a pleasing "barbershop" fragrance. Great shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Vitos Verde
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Edelstein Evolution Ice Line Professional

Razor: Standard
Blade: Polsilver SI (7)
Brush: EJ Best badger
Soap: SH Fig & Brown Sugar
After: Alum, TSW After Balm

Shave #7 with the Polsilver, and another excellent shave. I did have to work a little harder for it though.
Still some life in the blade, but I'm going to call time on this one before it dies.
Seriously impressed with the Polsilver in this razor

Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: B&M Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Aftershave: B&M Cologne Russe Tonique

Any shave at this time of the morning had better be a good shave - so you reach for the old favourites. The B&M did not let me down and this brush produces an amazing lather and a great way of caressing your face.

Both Mrs Mark1966 and I are off on a plane to Sydney this morning - although different ones! - so an extra early start so we can both get ready. Now to go and wait for her to finish to we can leave on time for the airport :)

Od4WywT.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave
St James of London 26mm SB
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water - White Tea & Ginger
aPR - WT Aftershave Balm
aPR - WT Aftershave Splash

I really do love the Mystic Water soap range, it's so rare I fail to get a really good rich lather from her soaps. Slowly recovering today at home, quite happy with the shave aside from a nick under the ear from letting my attention slip, feathers are fairly unforgiving in that regard. Fantastic scent from the lather, I like tea notes in soaps (B&M 42 for instance).
Slowly fixing the 'there is no balm or splash for that' issue I was having one scent at a time too. A fairly simple scent this morning, nailed the splash with 4 or 5 EO's but I am now titrating the balm level of scent to something I am happy with. The acceptable, safe range is (0.5-2.0%) so a lot of wriggle room in that regard.

Have a great day Gentlemen, enjoy your shaves :)

A rebellious shave tonight. None of my usual players.
Razor GEM 1919
Soap Mystic Waters
Brush Restored Rubberset with badger knot.

I will be as honest as I can be.

Mystic waters gets a good wrap from a lot of people and it is a good average soap. It seemed to do all things well but nothing spectacular. Lather was good and was well hydrated. Was easy to load but care needs to taken with the amount of water initially in the brush. My brush was not wet. Lather creation was easy and did its job. The actual shave was fine with no pulling but with a safety style razor the lather felt a bit thin and lacking a good secure feeling of protection.
Now the really important aspect - the scent - yes it had some.
The post shave feel was quite strange as while I felt the actual shave was a bit lacking protection, the post shave was far too greasy. To me this indicates too high a superfat %.
After the shave my skin feels oily and is also prickly which probably indicates some mild irritation to the Moroccan fragrance. I would rate this soap as about 6.5/10. Just a touch above average.

Badgers don't do it for me so back to a broken in boar tomorrow night. They do look fancy and very "pretty" but remind me of a 16th or 17th century dandy/fop. Whereas a boar is a hard working serf who has no pretense and understands the task at hand.

Remember these are only my opinions but are valid to me.

The GEM 1919 rescued an otherwise uninspiring shave due to good but only average items. The 1919 is one of the best GEM's I have.

So there you have it. I confess to being hard to please with my shaves but tonight's didn't ring many bells for me.

What knot is in that brush? I think we might have to get you a proper badger knot to try.

MW is good IMHO, but yes, temperamental with water. In a way you are spoilt because you're used to a custom soap that has been formulated to suit your exact requirements! It's going to be a hard job for any other soap to match up to it.

I think we might have to get you a proper badger knot to try.

Perhaps you have a slightly inflated view of what a "proper" badger knot is? :) Please pay for the badger knot you think I need yourself and send to me any knot you think will enhance my badger experience - in fact I'm happy to receive badger knots from any and all forum members who believe my badger education needs improvement.

My knot - Silver tip badger 24mm.

I appreciate the amount or lack of water for many different soaps both commercial and home brew. If a soap is too temperamental or not always consistent it is not in my opinion worth the effort as it is usually lacking something in the formulation. My observation today after using the MW is there is nothing wrong with my skin so I have not in any way so far reacted negatively to either the fragrance or the formulation of the soap itself. On that one point alone concerning no adverse reaction it is a soap I will certainly use from time to time. I will probably try it again tonight as the thinner lather may work well with the straight. The lather will be much better because I will use my Omega boar. :)

20161114_SOTD_s_Vig_zpsbp1woy7x.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector M1 (3.5)
Blade: Personna Injector (4)
Brush: Nathan Clark Envy White
Lather: OSP Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Third time lucky with the OSP - finally a lather to my liking (picture here).

You know you are on the right track, when beautiful peaks start to fly around the bathroom, yet the razor still clogs up a bit :D

The soap has an unbelievable amount of residual slickness and really great post shave feel. I still think, it doesn't take as much water as I like, but then who cares, with this slickness. The blade felt already a bit dull, and maybe I pressed a bit - so I had some alum burn - but all in all a great shave to start the week - hope you had a good Monday as well (y)

Pre: Cold Water
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (8)
Brush: Body Shop
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow v3
ASB: Bulldog Original

Got a 90% BBS with just two passes today (WTG/ATG). First time I have been able to do that. Not sure if it was the cold water thing? Also had some irritation after the shave, which I have never had before with these products or combination. Kind of like blotches on the skin - not from being too close - something else. Again, it might be the cold water...? Odd... I hope it's not ingrowns.

Pre: Cold Water
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (8)
Brush: Body Shop
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow v3
ASB: Bulldog Original

Got a 90% BBS with just two passes today (WTG/ATG). First time I have been able to do that. Not sure if it was the cold water thing? Also had some irritation after the shave, which I have never had before with these products or combination. Kind of like blotches on the skin - not from being too close - something else. Again, it might be the cold water...? Odd... I hope it's not ingrowns.

@RazorPlay you should be using Witch Hazel to prevent in grown hairs after your shave that why I always apply T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent, before I apply aftershave or aftershave balm ;) Some aftershave product already have Witch Hazel in them so make sure you check.

ucvOEuV.jpg

HlYvnsp.jpg

SOTN (14/11/2016)
FULL TILT TOBS SANDALWOOD

Pre:
Lucky Hot shower/Clinique Face Soap
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (2x)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap/Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
AS: T.N. Dickinson’s/TOBS Sandalwood
Balm: TOBS Sandalwood AS Gel