Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
4c1c1988736ef3c9febd2e3fb16b3e54.jpg

First use of the Rocket HD from Mark, and was very impressed with the results.

That was my initial impression too. The 500 is my smoothest DE (tied with NEW SC). Of all the reviews I've read on the HD about 95% are very favorable.

Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: B&M Cologne Kyovu

I noticed through the day yesterday that the shave was a little rough (4:15am and in a hurry may be the cause) so took more time and care today. Certainly a better result although I confess to be still coming to terms with the brush.

KeGf9lX.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime
Doug Korn D7 TGN Finest
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Eufros Fougère Shaving Soap
Eufros Fougère Aftershave Balm
aPR - GL Fougère Aftershave

A very pleasant and somewhat unusual fougère from JabonMan, the lather properties were excellent but really I did not expect any less. I'm still getting used to his formulation of aftershave balm, particularly the consistency and composition - I like it a lot it is just different. No nicks or cut's this morning, definitely on the mend in that regard. A very enjoyable shave using the man's soap.

The The Stray Whisker day! :)

Pre-Shave: Shower
Razor: Merkur Heavy Classic 34С
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: TSW 452/28
Soap/Cream: TSW #2 Shave Soap
A/S: TSW #1 After Shave Spiritz
ASB: TSW After Balm
Cologne: Davidoff Cool Water
Post-Routine: hot rinse, alum, cold rinse, splash, dry skin, balm, cologne

Unfortunately that was the last scoop for the soap from the sample. Still have the lotion sample for one or two shaves. Hopefully @shavetheman will release both soon.

Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: B&M Cologne Kyovu

I noticed through the day yesterday that the shave was a little rough (4:15am and in a hurry may be the cause) so took more time and care today. Certainly a better result although I confess to be still coming to terms with the brush.
The Envy Whites (or any decent 2-band for that matter) need ~15 shaves to show their true side...

They are at first really scrubby and the knots are too tight - but then they open up and are wonderfully soft with a great backbone - don't give up!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 15 November 2016 it's TABAC Tuesday!!!!!
m0126.gif
t2802.gif
m0126.gif

Brush: - Omega 10065 Green Handle 25/52mm :love::love:
Lather: - Tabac Soap
Razor: - Merkur 34C
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Tabac Aftershave Splash / Tabac Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Tabac Cologne

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (9)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow v3
Brush: Body Shop
ASB: Bulldog Original

Same shave and same products as yesterday. DFS in 2.5 passes (WTG/ATG/cleanup). No irritation this time. Only thing that changed was yesterday's shave was cold water and today was warm with shower prep. Closer shave quicker yesterday but with too much irritation. I will continue to experiment.

One thing I am finding with this razor is on the ATG passes, if you lie the blade holder flat on your skin and use a feather touch, the blade doesn't contact the skin. Previously I added just a bit of angle to counteract that but it's hard maintaining such a low angle consistently and when you don't weepers will result. Now, I just lie the blade holder flat and use a tiny bit of pressure instead, enough to bring the blade in contact with the skin. Doing that I am yet to get any weepers or cuts but still get flawless ATG passes much quicker (15 min shave today!). Might not work with the SS model though due to the bump it has at the leading edge of the blade holder. Works a treat for me on the DX though... so far at least.

@RazorPlay you should be using Witch Hazel to prevent in grown hairs after your shave that why I always apply T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent, before I apply aftershave or aftershave balm ;) Some aftershave product already have Witch Hazel in them so make sure you check.

Cheers for that - no ingrowns it turns out. I haven't had ingrowns since switching to wet shaving with disposables many moons ago. I thought the irritation (bumpy rash) yesterday might have been ingrowns but it must have been something else.

Cheers for that - no ingrowns it turns out. I haven't had ingrowns since switching to wet shaving with disposables many moons ago. I thought the irritation (bumpy rash) yesterday might have been ingrowns but it must have been something else.

@RazorPlay maybe you're suffering from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder for using you're Feather AC DX non folding :p:D more like FEAR!!!!

Icoxfek.jpg

I trotted out the usual suspects tonight.
My soap. Again I didn't label it so can't say for sure which it is. Excellent none the less.
Great lather from my boar, a Semogue 2000 and getting better every use.
My blade of choice tonight was a Japanese Azuma 3000. Really good shave but I would prefer more feedback. It shaves very much like a wedge even though it is probably just a 1/4 hollow. A full hollow rattles as it removes whiskers whereas this one being a much heavier blade silently and super efficiently removes the growth. The end shave is tops.
2 passes DFS+ with no effort.
When I used the Mystic Waters again last night the thing that really impressed me for a commercial soap was the way my skin felt the next day. I will get @alfredus though to give me personal lather making lessons with the MW at our next get together so I don't let the team down. :)

I trotted out the usual suspects tonight.
My soap. Again I didn't label it so can't say for sure which it is. Excellent none the less.
Great lather from my boar, a Semogue 2000 and getting better every use.
My blade of choice tonight was a Japanese Azuma 3000. Really good shave but I would prefer more feedback. It shaves very much like a wedge even though it is probably just a 1/4 hollow. A full hollow rattles as it removes whiskers whereas this one being a much heavier blade silently and super efficiently removes the growth. The end shave is tops.
2 passes DFS+ with no effort.
When I used the Mystic Waters again last night the thing that really impressed me for a commercial soap was the way my skin felt the next day. I will get @alfredus though to give me personal lather making lessons with the MW at our next get together so I don't let the team down. :)
Maybe we could incorporate some lather making lessons in with a soap making get together @bald as :D

d6f77b318ff977505dfd398ce17d2760.jpg

Pre: La Toja soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Sharped Dress Man
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (6)
A/S: DR Harris Windsor

Copped some dermatitis yesterday on the neck area (non-shave day). The rash was still present when I shaved today; hence I was very careful with technique.
Whilst the Stirling soap was excellent (glide, cushioning and slickness all top notch), my neck area was still sensitive and uncomfortable.
Hence, I liberally applied Thayers Superhazel first aid after the shave. It killed the pain dead, but redness and rash still present. My Doc has prescribed steroid cream, but I try to avoid this if I can, due to rebound. Clearly, the Windsor was applied well away from any sensitive areas.
A DFS+ was the end result.
This Vintage blade is very sharp, and it reminds me of previous skin reaction with Feathers, so I will change to another blade next time out as a precautionary measure.

Razor: Standard
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Brush: EJ Best badger
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum, TSW After Balm

Got a surprise pack of Derby Premium blades in the mail, courtesy of @King of Authentic Shave so I loaded up the Standard and went to work. Coming on the back of the recent Polsilver SI shaves this was a pretty tall order though :)

First impression - significantly better than the normal Derby. Fairly sharp and comfortable, certainly far smoother and less tug than the original Derby blades. 3-pass near-DFS was certainly a decent shave. Probably a little above the Astra SP on the first shave.

Let's see how long it will last :)

Copped some dermatitis yesterday on the neck area (non-shave day). The rash was still present when I shaved today; hence I was very careful with technique.
Whilst the Stirling soap was excellent (glide, cushioning and slickness all top notch), my neck area was still sensitive and uncomfortable.
Hence, I liberally applied Thayers Superhazel first aid after the shave. It killed the pain dead, but redness and rash still present. My Doc has prescribed steroid cream, but I try to avoid this if I can, due to rebound.

This is supposed to be where Emu oil is really good. @Draco Noir had found with a little digging around, that Emu oil has good anti inflammatory properties.
He in particular was impressed with the healing properties after having razor burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.