Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Chubby 2 Best
Blade: Kirkuboshi 6/8 Full Hollow
Strop: Kanoyama #30k
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Absolution

Some soaps arriving tomorrow so need to get some tubs done. Absolution has about 4 shaves left so it's getting the work at the moment. Kirkuboshi - sublime yet again. Peanut Oil - what was in the pantry. Seems to work well, slow to absorb though. Need to find the sweet spot with how much to use. Will try some EVOO and maybe some Emu Oil as my dear wife tells me she has seen it at Woolies. Shave on!

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Kai Guarded (11)
Brush: Body Shop
Soap: Shaver Heaven Juicy Froot Tallow v3
ASB: Bulldog Original

My 21st shave with this razor and my first ingrown today - at the bottom of my neck which has always been a trouble area. Only ever got them before with electrics. Never got one through all my years of using 2 blade disposables. I'm guessing I'm shaving too close - my face just isn't used to all these BBS shaves. I thought it was a zit until I shaved the top off it and saw the hair inside! I will just go WTG in that area for awhile to see if it's just a local thing for that area. 3 pass WTG today and a CCS result and no other issues.

With this razor I'm finding I need 2.5-3 passes to get a consistent result across my face - otherwise there are areas I will have missed. If I just go WTG = CCS. If I include XTG = DFS. If I include ATG = BBS. Nice to have options! 11th and last shave with that blade - starting to notice tugging when getting in to tight areas although it's still not really an issue on the main passes other than requiring a little more force than usual. If anything the main passes are easier because the level of pressure isn't so sensitive.

2 passes tonight with a retro feel.

1820 [approximate] Re-scalled Bengall near wedge.
1920's restored Rubberset
Personal formula 21st century soap.
I was very pleased :)
Unique scale design, and no pin washers. Is this your handiwork?

e5e253e16b9c45b594dda1521e4baef0.jpg

Brush: Classic 1
Razor: Mehaz
Blade: English Wilky
Cream: Ingrams
A/S: GFT Skinfood/Homemade Menthol Splash

Lovely mentholated shave today. The Ingrams turned into its usual soup in the heat but performance was unaffected as usual.

With force comes pressure, with pressure comes irritation and with irritation, pressure and force comes a higher probability of an ingrown. Settle on 10 shaves from your blade and learn how to get a very good DFS with 2 passes WTG.

Thinking about this, probably the main reason I don't get particularly close shaves WTG is I still don't use a lot of angle - it's just easier and feels safer that way. I will try for a higher angle and no pressure WTG and see what difference it makes. For some reason, I'm more comfortable using a low / flat angle ATG than I am using a higher angle WTG. Don't know why - it doesn't make any real sense... will try to change that though.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 17 November 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: - Merkur 34C
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #3
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / WAHL Traditional Barbers Bay Rum Aftershave

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol Don Miguel 1919

Tried and true works well

Last Night's Shave
Pre:
Ach Brito Glyce Soap
Razor: Herder 77 Square 6/8
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 26mm knot
Soap: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra
Balm: Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango

Menthol goodness on a hot day in Melbourne. The Herder is one of @Mark's cheap and cheerful range, and with the edge he puts on it it gives a terrific shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.