Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Drogon Noir
Brush: Omega Boar

Tried out the Permasharp today. Will have to give it a couple more shaves to compare properly, but I think the Polsilver wins out at this early stage.

vYBW2Bq.jpg

Occam's Original Pre Shave
SJOL 26mm ST
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Barrister & Mann Seville
aPR White Tea & Ginger Balm
aPR White Tes & Ginger Aftershave

A nice Friday shave with the re-plated and serviced Fatboy, I set the dial to 5 which delivered a very smooth shave, I will look at dialing it up a bit for slightly more efficiency. Went with my usual 2 passes, the 'Glissant' base from B&M as expected was great. I'm working on a splash for the Cheshire and the Seville, but for today the White Tea and Ginger served it's purpose adequately, nice sweet white tea with the bite from the ginger.

Enjoy your day, and your shaves Gentlemen! :)

Happy Friday and enjoy your shaves *insert local vernacular reference here to refined males that doesn't offend nor relate to another forum*!

Enjoy ya bloody shaves ya mongrel dogs. Is that more fitting ?

That is twice now ...

Standards are slipping around here clearly.

I will endeavor to be less polite, civilized and will ensure I do not wish people well in their day ahead in the future. The last thing this forum needs is people communicating in a friendly, well wishing and polite way, particularly in the shave of the day!!!

vYBW2Bq.jpg

Occam's Original Pre Shave
SJOL 26mm ST
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Barrister & Mann Seville
aPR White Tea & Ginger Balm
aPR White Tes & Ginger Aftershave

A nice Friday shave with the re-plated and serviced Fatboy, I set the dial to 5 which delivered a very smooth shave, I will look at dialing it up a bit for slightly more efficiency. Went with my usual 2 passes, the 'Glissant' base from B&M as expected was great. I'm working on a splash for the Cheshire and the Seville, but for today the White Tea and Ginger served it's purpose adequately, nice sweet white tea with the bite from the ginger.

Enjoy your day, and your shaves Gentlemen! :)
Really ugly Pork Chops - why do you bother us with such disgusting pictures - I hope you have a horrid day and an even worse weekend :D :D :D

(I assume this is what you meant?)

Enjoy ya bloody shaves ya mongrel dogs. Is that more fitting ?

Absolutely!

Much better mate :)

I will endeavor to be less polite, civilized and will ensure I do not wish people well in their day ahead in the future. The last thing this forum needs is people communicating in a friendly, well wishing and polite way, particularly in the shave of the day!!!

Politeness and civility are welcome - the 'g' word is a bit of a thing around here given its overuse by people claiming to be that type of person but behaving in a completely opposite manner in some other shaving forums ...

Politeness and civility are welcome - the 'g' word is a bit of a thing around here given its overuse by people claiming to be that type of person but behaving in a completely opposite manner in some other shaving forums ...

Oh the politics!

Understood clear and simple, no more G's from me (y)

20161118_SOTD_S_Vig_zpsoihuogps.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH2 Stainless
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Strawberry Amber
Lather: Mystic Water Lime
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Heavenly shave with super drippy lather (picture here) - I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Proraso
Soap: Cella
AS: Alum + Rinse + Proraso Gel...

My first two pass WTG shave with a Pro blade. Foolishly, it was also the first shave where I increased my angle in order to get a closer WTG shave (it certainly did that!). I should have known better but I just didn't think - too busy playing with my new brush and soap (both were excellent by the way). Got about five cuts, some of which took quite a long time to heal - even though I have alum and Proraso gel at hand now (very fortunately...). Practically filleted my face! The alum told me it was a very close shave... a higher angle with this blade is a very bad idea. I can remember previously thinking that the Guarded blade probably saved me a few times but it wasn't there today and I can now see what a difference it makes.

Make no mistake a Pro blade is very different from a guarded blade - getting DFS+ (BBS in places) on a WTG pass is easily achievable with this blade but just isn't with the guarded blade (although I am yet to try raising the angle on that blade). This blade punishes the wrong angle and other mistakes whereas the guarded blade is not nearly as demanding. Not sure I will be able to master this blade but it's back to school for me - it sure has taught me to respect this razor!

Not sure I will be able to master this blade but it's back to school for me - it sure has taught me to respect this razor!

Of course you will :) Skin "usually regrows" :)

Pick an angle between where you were and where you are now and reduce the urge to remove all whiskers in one swipe. I have no problem getting DFS+ with a single pass with my straights so I constantly need to remember the blade is in direct contact with the skin. You are just wiping away the lather with a shave ready naked blade and the whiskers will follow. On the second pass WTG any that remain will be gone. Don't stress about a perfect shave as that may take awhile as you adjust to the non guarded blade but eventually you will wonder what the fuss was about. Also just take short strokes as you learn to guide the blade and maintain the consistent angle.

Razor: Standard
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Brush: EJ Best badger
Soap: SH Fig & Brown Sugar
After: Alum, TSW After Balm

Damn, that's a nice soap.

Anyhoo, quick morning shave today. The Derby Premium is still performing well, but I only did 2-pass and a quick touch up for a pretty decent shave.

The blade is not up there with the GSBs and Polsilvers, but so far quite a serviceable blade and a decent shave. No irritation, reasonably close and comfortable.

Pre: Shower
Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Proraso
Soap: Cella
AS: Alum + Rinse + Proraso Gel...

My first two pass WTG shave with a Pro blade. Foolishly, it was also the first shave where I increased my angle in order to get a closer WTG shave (it certainly did that!). I should have known better but I just didn't think - too busy playing with my new brush and soap (both were excellent by the way). Got about five cuts, some of which took quite a long time to heal - even though I have alum and Proraso gel at hand now (very fortunately...). Practically filleted my face! The alum told me it was a very close shave... a higher angle with this blade is a very bad idea. I can remember previously thinking that the Guarded blade probably saved me a few times but it wasn't there today and I can now see what a difference it makes.

Make no mistake a Pro blade is very different from a guarded blade - getting DFS+ (BBS in places) on a WTG pass is easily achievable with this blade but just isn't with the guarded blade (although I am yet to try raising the angle on that blade). This blade punishes the wrong angle and other mistakes whereas the guarded blade is not nearly as demanding. Not sure I will be able to master this blade but it's back to school for me - it sure has taught me to respect this razor!

I hear you @RazorPlay : Ive been using the Feather AC SS non-folding for almost 2 weeks now...keeping as much as possible constant - Proraso preshave, B&M Seville soap and 2 WTG passes with the Kamasori and a tidy up with the Mergress. Ive been using a Feather Pro Super blade , gradually building up to more difficult areas of the face. Getting the hang of it and was pleased with my progress... until yesterday. Got a nasty slice near the corner of my lip - not sure how it happened. Blood flowed. Gave my face a break today and used the vintage Aristocrat with a Feather blade. Smooth as...but not quite as close as I had been getting with the Shavette.
Live and learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.