Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: Rockwell 6S (4,2)
Blade: Permasharp Super (2)
Soap: Caties Bubbles Mile High Menthol
Brush: Omega Boar

Wanted something cooling this morning. First real day of decent weather in Melbourne today, so whipped up the Caties Bubbles.
Presented a nice lather, maybe lacking in residual glide compared to other soaps. The menthol was not as strong as I remembered it.
Maybe that was because my face is a little more accustomed to it now, or because the heat made it feel nice?
The Permasharp performed well again, jury is still out however. Need to give it a decent run before I make a decision.
Happy Shaving!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 21 November 2016

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - iKon X3 Slant with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum Aftershave

cbdb37da-b62f-4070-8889-0e59b243ecf0_zpsmfbmvokc.jpg

Razor: Feather AC DX non folding
Blade: Feather Professional (2)
Brush: Omega 80266
Soap: Proraso Green
AS: Alum, Vitamin E Oil

Second shave with the Feather Pro blade - 3 pass WTG DFS following a 3 day growth. First shave with Proraso and 80266 Omega. Better than my last shave with this blade but not by a lot - one cut on my chin on the first pass that took ages to stop bleeding and two other small ones. I could do without the blood TBH. The Guarded blade just doesn't cut anywhere near as deep when you make a mistake. Loved the brush and while the soap didn't feel particularly slick it held on to the water well and I had no blade skipping.

Also, the area on my lower neck has suddenly started flaring up again - it could be a reaction to the Alum or this blade, neither of which I have used before. Will try a few shaves without the alum to see. Fortunately the Vit E oil did a great job of calming it down quickly. It's tricky to use being so thick (anyone know how to thin it down?) but gives great results. Not giving up on this blade yet because it does give much better results going WTG - I just have to re-learn the speed limits around my chin. But I can't afford to take half an hour to shave on a regular basis either...

Blade: Kirkuboshi 6/8 full hollow square tip
Brush: Shavemac 24mm D01 2 band custom jade
Soap: B&M Leviathan

Soap is old, splash is new. Scent is, to me, more leather prominent, less smoky tobacco than the soap. Not better, nor worse, just different. Scent is lasting very well (5hrs in) although I do apply "liberally" though.

@todras , yep it's the hydrovance. Skin hot and irritated today after the gentleman. BST will have a few splashes in the next few days.

You are not alone there, I get the same reaction from it from time to time which is a pity as I love their scent range.

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Razor: Rockwell 6S (4,2)
Blade: Permasharp Super (2)
Soap: Caties Bubbles Mile High Menthol
Brush: Omega Boar

Wanted something cooling this morning. First real day of decent weather in Melbourne today, so whipped up the Caties Bubbles.
Presented a nice lather, maybe lacking in residual glide compared to other soaps. The menthol was not as strong as I remembered it.
Maybe that was because my face is a little more accustomed to it now, or because the heat made it feel nice?
The Permasharp performed well again, jury is still out however. Need to give it a decent run before I make a decision.
Happy Shaving!
@Normie Permasharp are one of my two top blades ... Feathers are the other go to blade. The Permasharp seem very smooth and last for 3-5 shaves in most of my razors including the vintage Gillettes. Interested in your final verdict...

316594056f2078ac305951dbace31ee0.jpg

Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Lux?
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: Barrister and Mann Latha Oceana
Cologne: Salvatore Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale

Nice aquatic theme for today.
Blade was a bit rough, might stick to Silver Blues and Astras for a while.

Soap started out strong, but left me feeling a bit let down. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was like being made to feel special early in the shave, before it pulled the rug out from under me on the second pass.

The post-shave feel from the B&M was a little bit wimpy, like it couldn't handle the pressure. Not sure what happened! Might try something else now.

The postie arrived today with a NOS 11/16" Russian blade from 1966. Steel seems very hard but eventually it was shave ready. Boy was it shave ready. All the work apart from setting the bevel was done on my Arkansas stones on oil right through to my Surgical Black and the Translucent.
Brush Omega Boar.
Started with a commercial soap but washed it off and used one of my own. Much better for straight razor shaving. The blade just didn't want to glide. Change of soap gave safety and comfort again.
2 passes with a small amount of ATG flat on the neck just to check the blade really is shave ready.
DFS++ I don't claim BBS as there are always a couple of whiskers that I cannot reach with the longer blade on the straight. I could try, but I think that bravado is where the moniker "cut throat" comes from.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Blade: Friodur 250 5/6" full hollow square tip
Brush: PALADIN 28MM PK47
Soap: Beaver Woodright Ghost Ship

The Ghost Ship is one of my softest soaps and in this current weather was almost a soup when I opened the tub. I dabbed my brush in and went to my face. Great shave, although the soap was not as slick as I'd like. (Of course this could be user error).

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce
Blade: Friodur 250 5/6" full hollow square tip
Brush: PALADIN 28MM PK47
Soap: Beaver Woodright Ghost Ship

The Ghost Ship is one of my softest soaps and in this current weather was almost a soup when I opened the tub. I dabbed my brush in and went to my face. Great shave, although the soap was not as slick as I'd like. (Of course this could be user error).
Ghost ship is one of my favourite scents. I must get my tub out again.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Derby Premium (5)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Brush with Envy White 24mm knot set at 50mm
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soap - Barbershop
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co - Sharp Dressed Man

Another '4:??am' shave. With my wife travelling nowadays a little I'm having to get up before her to get out of the bathroom and out of her way - making for some early starts!

Surprised by the good result from everything this morning - not sure why I should be but results exceeded expectations!

WNVZIQm.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Simpson Chubby 1 SB
Gillette Slim
D. R. Harris Arlington Shave Cream
D. R. Harris Arlington Aftershave Milk
D. R. Harris Arlington Aftershave

Sultry, hot and humid again in Sydney and reason enough to break out the Arlington. Took the Slim for it's first outing since restoration and I must say Dave has done a great job, locked it in at 7 and the shave was wonderful, his work reducing the tolerances of the mechanical components was evident immediately. Typically nice lather from the Arlington shave cream, a real doddle from pre-load to shave in 1.5 minutes tops. Finished up with a nice cool refreshing clean off of cold water then on with the Aftershave Milk and Aftershave.

Have a bloody bonza day you mongrels :)

shave_1_of_2_3.jpg

Pre - Hot towel
Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Albion
Razor - Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade - Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post Shave - Alum, TSW After Balm

Gave the Albion soap a run this morning. I like the scent, was definitely getting the Lavender and Grapefruit notes. (y)

110d14839c8592dec63da0a05fa883ef.jpg

Occams Lime Pre-shave soap
Shavemac Custom 2band
Shaver Heaven Choc Delight
Merkur Bakelite
Derby Premium (2)
PAA Malbolge

I had been cutting astringent use anyway (didn't seem to do much) but read that excess use can lead to drying skin. Last few shaves I have not used any. Just soap, & a/s. So far, seems to be an improvement!

Second use of the Derby, first time in this razor. Seems to be a good high-mid range blade. Produced a stress free 3 pass BBS result with a couple of weepers. Could be sharper, could be smoother but no complaints here so far.

Shower
Feather AC DX non folding
Feather Pro blade (3)
Proraso Brush
La Toja Stick
Alum, Vitamin E

Another lesson in changing too many things at once. I had a comfortable shave with this blade today - CCS/DFS from 2.5 passes WTG. Only had one bleeder because I took the scar off yesterday's effort! No new cuts. The lather generated by this soap and brush combo was fantastic - I find using a stick so much easier and I was still able to start off dry and built moisture slowly with it on my face. So I was watching carefully and feeling good about the whole experience until I applied the alum - then my neck lit up like a Christmas tree... Alum is definitely not for me - I seem to have a high level of sensitivity to it and react to it more than the worst alcohol based splash. I started using the alum at the same time as the unguarded blade and there I was thinking I was being scrubbed red raw by the blade when actually it was the alum doing all the damage. My reaction to it has worsened in just three applications.

A couple of hours later and the Vitamin E oil has cooled things down a bit to a socially acceptable level but that rash was horrendous... never again! Apparently Vitamin E oil is soluble in other oils like grapeseed oil - might have to give that a try to make it easier to apply. I think my next A/S attempt will be original Witch Hazel as I have been finding I've been getting a few zits by using a balm alone. Perhaps a low alcohol content AS like Witch Hazel might be a good compromise... will have to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.