Status
Not open for further replies.
20161224_SOTD_S_zpsszja8gmc.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mystic Water Natural
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas from the beautiful Austrian Alps (y)

Looks beautiful mate - we are only dreaming of a white Christmas - you are having one!

Enjoy it and safe travels :)

20161224_SOTD_S_zpsszja8gmc.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mystic Water Natural
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas from the beautiful Austrian Alps (y)
Looks amazing there @alfredus , very jealous!

Sunday 25 December 2016

SOTD-25122016.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox Extra Full Hollow

I love the smell of juniper wood. Not only it has a lovely Mediterranean scent, it also has a beautiful texture I truly like. That's why today I used this Mastro Livi shave brush, having a handle in juniper wood, because I wanted to smell that fragrance. Not to mention the fact the loft of this brush has a magnificent performance: a two band silver wild badger providing a good backbone while giving a lovely caress on the skin. A perfect combination with the amazing P.160 shaving cream with a luxurious wealth of soft and moisturizing lather. As for the straight razor, I used this Mastro Livi Inox Extra Full Hollow, a straight razor with a stainless steel blade delivering a super smooth and close shave. Floïd Blue provided the finishing touch - in my opinion one of the very best aftershaves around - for a super satisfying and velvety smooth shave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Nuova Elberel P.160 Professional
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Double Band Silver Wild Badger, Juniper Handle, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox, 6/8 Extra Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'Pure'
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: ARP - les généraux du grand livre

I stood before the mirror and the angels appeared. They wiped away my beard with their caresses (three passes), soothed my cheeks with their moist kisses and perfumed me with their gentle breaths ...

If only it was actually like that!

Inspired by the trade offer from @borked I loaded with my last remaining Light Brigade for a very special first shave. The Mike's provided a wonderful, reliable base and the APR was there in case of repair being needed - or as a great finish!

The angle on the Darwin is very different, I got it all wrong and never really got into a rhythm. The result was like the raw harshness after a shave with the 2011 R41, close, a little patchy in parts but raw.

I know my face was unusually tender because of the SLAP from the les généraux du grand livre. Now @todras has done a great job with these and the healing and soothing came quickly, but they was enough alcohol sting to seal up the pores and put me in my place!

So the Darwin may be beautiful - but it is also a beast. I thought I'd read that they were mild - not on this evidence. I will have to persist and try to tame this beauty. I might change out the blade to one which is ore familiar to me. An interesting project to be sure.

Happy shaving guys!

Xmas shave from 24th.

Pre: Facescrub with Bahn charcoal soap.
Razor: ATT R1 Atlas w/ Polsilver SI (2)
Brush: Mervyn Cadman C4 28mm TGN
Soap: Shaving shop "Springtime in Paris"
Post shave: Thayers Witch hazel, Myrsol Balsamica, Myrsol Emulsion balm, Springtime in Paris aftershave.

And very nice it was too :)

IMG_20161224_103041129-01.jpeg

Full_Size_Render_9.jpg

Brush - Semogue 620
Soap - OSP Fougere
Razor - Bengall 5/8
Post - Witch Hazel, TSW Balm

2 x WTG passes with the Bengall, then a cleanup with the EJ Kelvin this morning. A nice cool water shave was definitely in order with the current temperatures here in Melbourne. :cool:

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 26 December 2016

Brush: - Omega 10065 Green Handle 24/54mm
Lather: - Arko Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

First time using the soap which scent is sandlewood smoke

I'm a sucker for Sandalwood and as much as I'm a rabid anti smoker the smell of smoke has an appeal.

RAZORS: Marx &Co fresh from touch up with Narutaki Mizu Asagi

I touched up a Frameback on a Kiita this afternoon so hopefully I will also be enjoying the the close, comfortable Japanese honed experience later.

from the beautiful Austrian Alps (y)

For some reason I read Australian Alps - then I woke up :)

Doug Korn Envy White

Now that is a classy brush, both in pictures and in person.

I love the smell of juniper wood.

The aroma from particular timbers never ceases to drive memories and associations. Thank you for the excellent images and the passion you have for such an iconic razor maker.

And very nice it was too :)

Is your weather below zero yet? I would think Menthol is out of the question?

@Mark1966 "So the Darwin may be beautiful - but ------------- "

I've just checked BS&T but I must have been too early. :) Maybe try using it without a blade for a few shaves :) It looks a bit of an old razor, probably not worth much as the finish may need some wet and dry just to "liven" it up, make it look expensive like a modern razor. I could help you out with a couple of high quality chrome plated GEM SE's if you want to post that old thing over here and I can maybe even hammer the blade gap closer - only if that would help :) I couldn't guarantee both sides would be the same but by the look of its age no one will know !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-...959562?hash=item33c52663ca:g:qmQAAOSwA3dYV~hv

Blade gap on this one seems a bit "open" but what would I know :)

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'Pure'
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: ARP - les généraux du grand livre

I stood before the mirror and the angels appeared. They wiped away my beard with their caresses (three passes), soothed my cheeks with their moist kisses and perfumed me with their gentle breaths ...

If only it was actually like that!

Inspired by the trade offer from @borked I loaded with my last remaining Light Brigade for a very special first shave. The Mike's provided a wonderful, reliable base and the APR was there in case of repair being needed - or as a great finish!

The angle on the Darwin is very different, I got it all wrong and never really got into a rhythm. The result was like the raw harshness after a shave with the 2011 R41, close, a little patchy in parts but raw.

I know my face was unusually tender because of the SLAP from the les généraux du grand livre. Now @todras has done a great job with these and the healing and soothing came quickly, but they was enough alcohol sting to seal up the pores and put me in my place!

So the Darwin may be beautiful - but it is also a beast. I thought I'd read that they were mild - not on this evidence. I will have to persist and try to tame this beauty. I might change out the blade to one which is ore familiar to me. An interesting project to be sure.

Happy shaving guys!

Great post, Mate. Look forward to the next instalment.

OK, my first SOTD post for a while. I just felt I had to post this one because it really was a fantastic shave, probably my best yet - I have only been wet shaving for almost 12 months. It was only after the shave that I decided to take the picture! This was Xmas morning.

ZtS6SPN.jpg

Pre: Pears Glycerin Soap
Soap: Knockout Shave "Smoky" - unobtanium (Big thanks to @tullfan)
Brush: Wahls Pure Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: bet you can't guess...
After: PAS "Cavendish", to stick with the smoky theme. I don't know why, given that it was an Australian Christmas Day!

It truly was a superb and quick shave. as close to BBS as I have ever gotten so far.

A very big thank you for all the input I have received from so many of you wonderful folks here, it has made the journey very enjoyable.

@Mark1966 "So the Darwin may be beautiful - but ------------- "

I've just checked BS&T but I must have been too early. :) Maybe try using it without a blade for a few shaves :) It looks a bit of an old razor, probably not worth much as the finish may need some wet and dry just to "liven" it up, make it look expensive like a modern razor. I could help you out with a couple of high quality chrome plated GEM SE's if you want to post that old thing over here and I can maybe even hammer the blade gap closer - only if that would help :) I couldn't guarantee both sides would be the same but by the look of its age no one will know !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-...959562?hash=item33c52663ca:g:qmQAAOSwA3dYV~hv

Blade gap on this one seems a bit "open" but what would I know :)

Gloating just make you look ugly my mother used to say ...

;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't have the courage to gloat about a Darwin. :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though I would think a few shaves and it will be extremely high on your go to list.

I wouldn't have the courage to gloat about a Darwin. :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though I would think a few shaves and it will be extremely high on your go to list.

Well I hope so, otherwise it is still a nice looker!

Status
Not open for further replies.