Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day @todras Haslinger Schafmilch is very similar to Mitchell's Wool Fat lets see if I can break this down something very simple and I'll do my very best to explain, and I LOVE both Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Haslinger Schafmilch (made in Austria) performance:
-
1. Very easy to create a lather at least 8 or 10 second load from soft to very hard water using either synthetic, boar or badger brush without any further stress.
2. It can create a huge lather hog with a right amount of water and consistency, IF you load the brush too much soap you needs MORE water.
3. They've used natural sheep milk to create the soap which is better for the skin and for those who have sensitive skin.
5. Haslinger Schafmilch smell almost the same as Mitchell's Wool Fat and it smell very very clean.
6. Best of all they've used natural lanolin from sheep wool to keep the skin soft, gentle and smoothing is suitable for sensitive skin great post shave feel not as good as Mitchell's Wool Fat. Also great for Autumn and Winter season and it can be used throughout any seasons not too sure about summer.
7. It's not very slick against Mitchell's Wool Fat, just slick I don't know how to put this in the right level of slickness.
8. The ingredients is almost the same as Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Mitchell's Wool Fat (made in UK) performance and a given nickname throughout the wet shaving forum they call it the FAT!!:-

1. Very easy to create a lather from soft water without any further stress using either synthetic, boar or badger for about 20 second load, I've got this information from UK shaving forum site because over there in UK they have soft water.
2. It's not easy to create a lather from normal to hard water, however I have hard water and I only used a boar brush when using MWF and you need to load the brush at least 40 to 45 seconds. It means you need more product you must load MWF like you hate it.
3. It can be very difficult to create a huge lather hog with a right amount of water and consistency refer #2, and you MUST be very patient when adding water otherwise if you add too much water to soon the lather will get too thin. MWF doesn't like too much water can be very hard to find the right amount of water and consistency.
4. They've used more natural lanolin from sheep wool and natural sheep fat (could be natural sheep milk) to keep the skin soft and it's very moisturizing FANTASTIC post shave feel against Haslinger Schafmilch, and it's FANTASTIC to used throughout Autumn and Winter seasons without the skin drying out too soon, also great throughout any seasons not to sure about summer.
5. MWF is suitable for those who have sensitive skin.
6. It's very slick against Haslinger Schafmilch, however Williams Mug shaving soap has the highest slickness against Mitchell's Wool Fat great post shave feel.
7. Mitchell's Wool Fat smell almost the same as Haslinger Schafmilch and it smell very very clean.
8. The ingredients is almost the same as Haslinger Schafmilch, however the ingredients doesn't say they've used natural sheep milk and believe me both soap are almost the same and almost the same performance.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed points @SpeedyPC

A majority if not all of your comparative points are perilously ill-defined and anchored firmly as purely subjective (what you find easy to lather with your water, another may not - to select one example of the subjectivity - there are many more) comparisons but I can also see where you are coming from in that your subjective experience using these two soaps, in your situation, gives rise to the reasonable impression that they are alike.

Point 8 needs a response though as it relates directly to chemistry and composition and I think it's interesting. Put simply: While two different soaps can contain exactly the same ingredients, it is the percentages and ratios of those ingredients, the methodology of the 'cook' itself and the subsequent curing process, and important variables such as the temperature (among many, many more) that determines the final product. Two different brands of soap from two different parts of the world can contain exactly the same compounds, yet be entirely different in just about every way. Two perfumes can contain the same oils or fragrances, yet be two different creatures entirely and so on.

I strongly beg to differ in the comparison you have made and I personally believe the numbered comparison points are at best specious, I find the two soaps very much unalike however I respect that you feel that they are similar. I very much appreciate you taking the time to give your reasons as to why you think this is so, individual experience and acceptance of differing opinions is one of the things that makes P&C as agreeable as it is :)

@todras the only two different things between Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat is they both used natural sheep wool when creating a shaving soap, and both are not the same level of ratio in lanolin coming from natural sheep wool only. The breed of sheep in UK is not the same in Austria they both have different sheep fat but is almost the same environment and both play a very similar role.

Edit:- the ingredients point of view you are correct ;) as I said it almost the same.

Last edited:
20170408_224407.jpg

Razor: PAA Prismatic
Blade: Personna Red
Soap: T&H Trafalgar
Brush: K Shave Worx Gamechanger

Thoughts...
- Arrived in Melbourne this arvo and here is the kit I took for the week. Planning on a daily night shave. The Trafalgar is nearly done so it also doubles as a bowl.
- Beautiful Shave. I probably won't post each one as the kit won't change. If you haven't tried a Prismatic I really can recommend. Light and small for travel too.

@todras the only two different things between Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat is they both used natural sheep wool when creating a shaving soap, and both are not the same level of ratio in lanolin coming from natural sheep wool only. The breed of sheep in UK is not the same in Austria they both have different sheep fat but is almost the same environment and both play a very similar role.

Edit:- the ingredients point of view you are correct ;) as I said it almost the same.

Sorry small typo error @todras I mean they both used natural sheep wool to get lanolin when creating the shaving soap, and both are not the same level of ratio in lanolin coming from natural sheep wool. The breed of sheep in UK is not the same in Austria they both have two different breed when collecting fat either from milk or body fat, but is almost the same and both play a very similar role between Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Last edited:
17855205_1514897701855996_8113043453250525547_o.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long Horse/Badger
Soap: APR, SAA
Razor: Gem MM Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem SS

Early morning Sunday shave.
More or less the same set up as yesterday. After that DFS there was not much to do, after two passes I'm going to award myself my first official BBS!
Feeling smooth and smelling fine.

Have a great day you appropriately dressed Ozzies​

Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (8)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in pure
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap - Spitfire
Aftershave Splash: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Inspired by @Snooze I hit the Special Reserve today.

While it has some of the Pinaud complexity it certainty would not be making claims about the benefits to your skin etc that some other products do. Mind you, it was only $US8.29 (plus tax) according to the Pasteur Pharmcy price ticket on it. A splash I think I will always have in the drawer.

The Squadron Soap I'm really enjoying @SchoolForAnts. Great lather and nice scent to it (although now overwhelmed by the Special Reserve!). We could do a lot worse than having a policy of Aussie only shaving products (y)

The Squadron Soap I'm really enjoying @SchoolForAnts. Great lather and nice scent to it (although now overwhelmed by the Special Reserve!). We could do a lot worse than having a policy of Aussie only shaving products (y)

I like the idea of using Aussie products! Perhaps it would be good to dedicate one day a week on SOTD to Australian artisans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor: Gillette New Deluxe
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Brush: Ever-Ready 200 w/ VS Finest Knot
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave/Cologne: Fine Clean Vetiver

Three days of growth saw me reaching for a more aggressive razor in the New Deluxe, and a sharp blade in the Polsilver. (Lucky I have four hundred of the damn things sitting in the back of my cupboard!) All done in three and half passes.

SOYD

Razor
: EJ DE86
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Brush: TSW 452/28 synth
Soap: Proraso Green (again)
After: Alum,TSW After Balm

Second shave with the Kai, and an easy DFS. Proraso is an easy lather, but the massive 452/28 is a lather monster - love it.

Seems one of my daughters "borrowed" my bottle of Witchhazel a while back, which I only discovered when I went to mix up a new batch of WH/Aloe. Fortunately the TSW balm is outstanding, so I can manage without for now.

I like the idea of using Aussie products! Perhaps it would be good to dedicate one day a week on SOTD to Australian artisans.

Find me a machinist that does exceptional work - so we can get a modern DE made here...

Last edited by a moderator:
vQ8ccWp.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Doug Korn D7
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
T&S + Chatillon Lux Yuzu,Rose, Patchouli
Chatillon Lux Yuzu, Rose, Patchouli Salve
Chatillon Lux Yuzu ,Rose, Patchouli Aftershave

It seems like the last throws of Spring today, a good reason to give the Y/R/P an outing and I was glad I did too.

c1ad08cbb0c65da8d03f24945acb85c7.jpg

Funny you say that @Benjamin , I was thinking the exact opposite this morning. Very much overloaded the brush (see lather shot), but fantastic shave and slickness. Feather in the Rockwell #2 gives a great DFS.
Interesting @Korbz , I'm not sure what I've changed with my lathering. Will have to experiment more.
I'll have to try plate 2 with a feather as well. ;) Plate 3 with a Polsilver is my daily driver.

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: ATT Atlas & Voskhod (6)
Brush: TF Custom "Rainbow Falls" 24mm 2 Band Finest.
Soap: Crown King "The Kiss"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Witch Hazel.
Aftershave/Cologne: Crown King "The Kiss"

One very sweet Sunday afternoon 3 pass shave after a hard weekend working out in the gardens all weekend. Time to put the feet up and enjoy the rest of the night.
Cheers
Tony
cX3C4mS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.