Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost, cost, cost... Always the first point :-(

Can he do it to Wolfman tolerances incl the fit and finish? Can he do it with different metals incl Al, SS and Ti? Is he prepared to do prototypes until the head geometry is perfect? Those are the real issues.
I agree - something simple yet classic and beautiful like the Wolfman - people are prepared to wait and pay for such a fine piece of craftsmanship.

Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: FaTip Gold "Gentle"
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Lotion: Alum / Pinaud Clubman / Nivea Post-Shave / Pinaud Clubman Talc

Today's shave with the FaTip closed-comb "Gentle" razor was rather rough, as was yesterday's shave with the 34C. The variable is the blade. This is peculiar in my experience with the Silver Blue, but it will be tossed.

Photo%2010-4-17%2022%2048%2025_zpscf5fjopb.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: Squadron Soaps "The Warden"
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (1)
EdC: Avarez Gomez Barberia

Seeing that I've been trying out my vintage UK Perma-Sharp blades along with @Snooze , I thought I'd have a crack with a modern Perma-sharp Super. Impressed. Three passes for a DFS+ result. Reminded me a lot of the current Polsilver Super Iridiums. As it is cheaper, it would seem to represent great value. Of course, blade preferences are very subjective. I was shaving a three day growth, and appreciated the open comb plate.
I really like the Squadron Soaps range of WW2-themed soaps. Tallow and lanolin really agree with me.
My favourite scent is "The Warden" - Put that bloody light out!
And finished with some Avarez Gomez cologne as a nod to Sergio Garcia winning his first Major - Vamos Sergio!

I agree - something simple yet classic and beautiful like the Wolfman - people are prepared to wait and pay for such a fine piece of craftsmanship.
Yep - it's all about the materials of construction, design, and quality of finish.

This is actually my first head shave and first shave with a DE.

soTtK

Brush: Cyril R Salter badger
Soap: Proraso Sandlewood
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE87
Blade:Astro stainless

Shave went really well, didn't need hemostop in the end. Addicted to it now!

Edit: one thing I should add is post post and only applies to head shaving I guess; mentholated, spf25 moisturising milk from Japan which I stole from my wife.

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Petrichor Shaving Soap
Aftershave Splash: Barrister & Mann Petrichor Tonique Splash

I'm not sure where to start with this shave. The B&M Petrichor soap is simply incredible. The performance is outstanding. Rich, thick, wet lather everywhere. I thought of taking a photo for @alfredus but I had lather on my hands, it was seriously everywhere. Plenty for far more than my two passes and great performance on the face too.

So now the actual shaving. This is a very special razor, as you can read here, A very special SOTD, a very special British Aristocrat #15. I've not used a #15 for a while and had forgotten how blissful a razor it is. Just a delight to use, balanced, efficient, wonderful.

Finished off with the B&M Petrichor Tonique splash. This is good stuff, great face feel and then the scent. Well I'm not sure if it is the smell of damp Australian soil after rain but I certainly love it. A combination of elements from the, very polarising, Roam and the Diamond which I've only sniffed from the soap. Very enjoyable.

I thought a few times while shaving this morning about blokes who wake up and hate the daily shaving routine, I remember when I was that bloke. How this have changed for the better.

Enjoy Love your shaves guys!

WopV4bm.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Simpson CH1
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Eufros Rosas
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger Aftershave Balm
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger EDP

Nice and cool again today with the wind really picking up, definitely my favorite season :)

Shaved off a 6 or 7 day collection of very tough salt and pepper whiskers last night with a superb Russian straight. It is hard to really appreciate the efficiency of a straight until you tackle a few days growth, there is minor resistance but it is futile. My boar and soap performed very well together.

Razor: Russian 11/16" Half hollow.
Brush: 24mm Omega boar
Soap: My personal formula
After: Warm to hot towel

There is nothing really to compare to a straight after the initial 100 shave getting to know you period :)

Shaved off a 6 or 7 day collection of very tough salt and pepper whiskers last night with a superb Russian straight. It is hard to really appreciate the efficiency of a straight until you tackle a few days growth, there is minor resistance but it is futile. My boar and soap performed very well together.

Razor: Russian 11/16" Half hollow.
Brush: 24mm Omega boar
Soap: My personal formula
After: Warm to hot towel

There is nothing really to compare to a straight after the initial 100 shave getting to know you period :)

Glad it went well mate!

I just logged in to see how everyone went with the sopamakers of awesometown soap, but it doesn't look like everyone jumped on it straight away.
My SOTD was exceptional!
  • Soap: Barrister & Mann Soap makers of Awesometown
  • Brush: Whipped dog synthetic
  • Razor: Ikon X3 with polsilver blade
  • Post-Shave: The stray Whisker AS Balm sample

I just logged in to see how everyone went with the sopamakers of awesometown soap, but it doesn't look like everyone jumped on it straight away.
My SOTD was exceptional!

It's a Spring fragrance rather than autumn, I'll keep mine for then...

It's a Spring fragrance rather than autumn, I'll keep mine for then...
@todras may not be the right place to ask - but I'm going to anyway.
Do soaps go bad with time? My Jabbinman has gone lumpy - best guess is lumps of tallow have gone solid. Never had this in a soap before but the jabbonman is probably one of the oldest in my den.

@todras may not be the right place to ask - but I'm going to anyway.
Do soaps go bad with time? My Jabbinman has gone lumpy - best guess is lumps of tallow have gone solid. Never had this in a soap before but the jabbonman is probably one of the oldest in my den.

They generally last a few years, it sounds as though yours may have dried out a little. Flicking a few drops of water in there and sealing the tub usually helps them to rehydrate, or using the soap with a wetter than usual brush helps too and leaving some moisture in the tub.

vRcooKe.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman SB-P WRH2 Stainless Steel
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V
Lather: Australian Private Reserve The Santal
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Four days growth and I decided to reach for the Wolfman. Usually I would go for one of my slants - and now I know why. This was the first time, the Wolfman didn't behave anything but spectacular. It struggled during the first pass - there is no use in sweet talking it. After that, everything went back to normal and I had a wonderful shave with a silky smooth end result. The APR soap resulted in the wonderful and rich lather (picture here) I have come to expect and the scent is as always out of this world.

Went for something new today. Shavette time. And how intimidating! Nowhere near the best/closest/most comfortable shave. But wasn't expecting that at all. But what an experience! Cannot wait to master this!

Razor: Bluebeard's Revenge Shavette
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Shave oil: Wahl Shave oil
Shave cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood
Brush: TF Custom Synthetic
After shave: Bluebeard's Revenge aftershave balm, Lucky Tiger After Shave Cream
4147d859dfd4d3203997ad7a54bc667f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.