Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'H2' boar
Soap/Cream: P&B Baskerville
Aftershave Splash: APR - Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' splash

Really not much to say - great shave, again

AdP Scrub
AdP Brush
Eufros - Agarwood
King Pelican 5000
AdP - Colonia Oud

yB8P9m3.jpg

sTb6cHd.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Hoffritz 103
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
Mystic Water Viola di Bosco
Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande Salve
Australian Private Reserve Lavande Violette Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve Lavande Violette EDP

Mystic Again for the superb lather, two passes for a great shave, very pleasing.

Fantastic shave with the Rockwell 6S... Funnily enough I said to @Tony Forsyth this morning that the Timeless, even though we don't get along, has given me the closest shaves of any DE. Well the shave tonight just easily matched it, while being a million times more comfortable. The Soap and aftershave were brilliant, and I've put up a review in the Travel Box thread. Will aim to do the timeless vs ATT vs Rockwell this weekend after a couple more uses of the Timeless (just to give it every opportunity).

I would suspect there are two issues that are preventing you from achieving ideal shaves with the Timeless. Firstly, I suspect your choice of the long handle is at play, it's certainly not a handle for everyone, I selected mine based on previous experience and having big hands, I struggle with shorter handles (Fatboy, Slim, Merkur Progress Standard). I'm not sure whether you chose your barber pole handle based on how mine looks or on the functional preference, if it's the former if I were you I would look at obtaining a handle much more suitable to your physicality and I think this will go a long way in correcting the deficiencies you are experiencing from the razor in your shaves.

The second issue I would suspect is transitioning from the Rockwell that weighs 113 grams complete to the Timeless that (with Barberpoll handle and Scalloped Cap) comes in at 144 grams - a significant weight difference.

The Timeless requires a highly proficient technique from a technical standpoint, I teeter on the edge of using negative pressure when shaving with it as the weight of the razor alone is more than sufficient to deliver incredibly close shaves. You may be subconsciously applying the same pressure you would with the Rockwell and this is going to cause you issues with a Timeless, even using the milder 0.68mm plate.

When I shave with my timeless it's purely the weight of the razor alone shearing the facial growth, the weighting of the Timeless is perfect and when held at the correct balance point you can feel the balance of the razor in your hand and it glides down the face with an audible resonance - no skipping, no sliding just a very precise, tight shearing of the bristles. Obviously your choice of blade selection is important here but all things being equal if you are using a sharp, new blade flawless shaves are easily achievable if the balance, hold and handle length are correct.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 26 April 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC Boar in Ash Wood 24/55mm
Lather: - Stirling Bay Rum Shaving Soap
Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General" SE with iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) #9
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Master's Bay Rum Aftershave Lotion

I would suspect there are two issues that are preventing you from achieving ideal shaves with the Timeless. Firstly, I suspect your choice of the long handle is at play, it's certainly not a handle for everyone, I selected mine based on previous experience and having big hands, I struggle with shorter handles (Fatboy, Slim, Merkur Progress Standard). I'm not sure whether you chose your barber pole handle based on how mine looks or on the functional preference, if it's the former if I were you I would look at obtaining a handle much more suitable to your physicality and I think this will go a long way in correcting the deficiencies you are experiencing from the razor in your shaves.

The second issue I would suspect is transitioning from the Rockwell that weighs 113 grams complete to the Timeless that (with Barberpoll handle and Scalloped Cap) comes in at 144 grams - a significant weight difference.

The Timeless requires a highly proficient technique from a technical standpoint, I teeter on the edge of using negative pressure when shaving with it as the weight of the razor alone is more than sufficient to deliver incredibly close shaves. You may be subconsciously applying the same pressure you would with the Rockwell and this is going to cause you issues with a Timeless, even using the milder 0.68mm plate.

When I shave with my timeless it's purely the weight of the razor alone shearing the facial growth, the weighting of the Timeless is perfect and when held at the correct balance point you can feel the balance of the razor in your hand and it glides down the face with an audible resonance - no skipping, no sliding just a very precise, tight shearing of the bristles. Obviously your choice of blade selection is important here but all things being equal if you are using a sharp, new blade flawless shaves are easily achievable if the balance, hold and handle length are correct.

If I hadn't used @Tony Forsyth 's 95 Timeless with long handle successfully prior, I'd agree with your assessments regarding weight and handle length (though it is 6g lighter with the pineapple handle). I'm more inclined to think it has to do with the angle of blade to face you can achieve with the different gaps on the 95 and 68. Due to the slightly larger gap, the angle was slightly different and agreed with my neck more. Some razors just don't agree with some people.

Last edited:
U4QfBbh.jpg

SOTD (26/4/2017)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Mongoose SE
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (28x)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap/Cream: B&M Latha Taiga
AS: T.N. Dickinson's/Stirling Mountain Man
Balm: L'Occitane Cade
Fragrance: L’Occitane Cade EDT

You need to update your SOTD template -

SOTD (DD/MM/YYYY)

Pre:

Razor:
Blade:
Brush:
Soap/Cream:
AS:
Balm:
Fragrance:
C.O.D Page Number:

i6wWjM7.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Jurgen Hempel Ti
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Lather: Valobra Fougere from P&C travelling box 4b
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Shave #2 with the box - review is here and lather shot here

I hope you enjoy your shaves (y)

Razor: Timeless 68
Blade: Vintage Wilkie (2)
Brush: TF Ice Fusion Black Synth 26mm
Lather: APR Mycroft Travel Box 4A
Post-shave: Thayers & APR Mycroft

Tried a different handle on the Timeless tonight to see if @todras 's suggestions delivered a more comfortable shave. Unfortunately not. I might get the odd nick now and then from the Timeless, but it's more the irritation. No matter what angle I hold the razor at 30-50 degrees (riding the cap), it just feels like I'm dragging the razor on the xtg/atg passes. The WTG pass on the neck is fine, just when I try to get closer. I could try 2 WTG passes I guess? Review for the soap & splash will be in the travel box thread.

Excellent description of the scent. It's a dark masculine Chypre with Agarwood and a few other compounds I have been wanting to use for months. I can definitely imagine the Watchers at the Wall wearing it, indeed anyone from the North ;)

Is this available to purchase @todras Our seasons clash, which is a pity but this sounds right up my street.

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Australian Gillette Super Stainless [aka "Aussie Spoiler"] (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: OSP Bay Rum
Aftershave Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorn

Yet another great shave!

Hmm, I wonder if there is an app to keep track of these great shaves? Oh, wait, - there is indeed - Shaving Buddy!

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

What WILL they think of next!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.