Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, fair go now guys. If we are talking 1940s Super Speeds they are 70 odd years old. When you get to that age you tell me if you are not a little bent out of shape and suffering plate loss! :whistle:
Lol, And that comes from someone with experience with Gillettes and life!
Very funny (y):LOL:

Though also to be fair they are mass produced and not like a some hand made vintage razors and blades. Like our Darwins for one.

T3Hm08O.jpg

6th of August, 2017

Guerrilla
Rapira Platinum Lux
Paladin
Mystic Waters "Coconut Sandalwood"

The scent of the soap is warm and comforting, just what I needed on this really cold and wet day here in Adelaide. The blade paired very well with the razor (lucky I have not sold all of them and held on to a few hundred). The Mystic Waters isn't one of the everyday "anyone can get a lather out of this soap" variety but if you spend the time with it and lather on the puck itself (as myself and others on the forum do) you are truly rewarded for your efforts and get an absolutely first class result as can be seen here https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/lather-shots.2434/page-67#post-105936.

On a side note and in reference to some discussion regarding vegan vs tallow soaps on another thread. I have found that since I changed from the traditional "load the brush on the soap puck and then build a lather on your face or in your bowl" to my now preferred technique of building a lather on the puck of soap itself I can get a good lather from just about any soap. Some soaps lather very quickly using this method (PAA for example) and others take some more work and time (Mike's, Mystic, Catie's etc.). The variance now is not so much in my technique but in the quality of the soap itself. Some soaps that lather very quickly I find to be very poor performers and some that take more time to lather are absolutely stellar performers. I also find that it is actually much easier to dial in the correct amount of water, If I add too much too quickly I simply have to keep working the brush on the puck and it is quickly sorted. I'm not talking about creating a bit of lather on the soap and then building it up further on your face/bowl either, I'm talking about a full and usable lather that has been created on the puck of soap. When I take the lather to my face it is generally ready to shave with, oftentimes I will add some water to the lather once I move to my face simply to hydrate it further if I feel it is necessary. I encourage all of you that use the traditional method to try this alternative method the next time that you find a soap that you consider either difficult to lather or does not perform consistently throughout the shave. You may be well surprised by the results. Soaps that get mentioned regularly that don;t produce a good lather such as Mikes. Mystic and Catie's Bubbles "French" formula are amongst m top shelf favourites.

I think I have ranted long enough LOL, hope you all enjoy your Sunday!

Razor: Gillette Toggle (2)
Blade(s): Polsilver (2)
Brush: TF Lava Demon 26mm
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps "Ad Astra"

Careful does it on 2 and two nicks. Counted myself lucky. Nice easy mid morning shave with a lovely scent and plenty of lathery goodness from the "Ad Astra"
WHERE DID U GET A TOGGLE!!!

Progress short handle
London bridge (1)
RR Bruce synth
MWF
Nivea splash

I have a few tucks of various vintage blades and whilst I'm not in love with any of them (i prefer my PolAg) but geez these blades are so smooth and nice!!

I so wish MWF came in multiple events! Everytime i use it, i wish this would come true! Whilst it's my favourite soap, i have a decent rotation as i like scent variety but i still try to use MWF a couple of times a week.

Fleabay and from US .. for the condition I thought it was a good price compared to some others that have come up since and are there now
Well colour me envious

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (11)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: le Père Lucien shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: le Père Lucien splash
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: N/A

Been a while since I used the LPL - it deserved a run

XKnITZS.jpg

Chatillon Lux Preshave
Boots Manchurian
Above the Tie Colossus R1
Feather
L&L Grooming+Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prairie
Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prairie Salve
Chatillon Lux Catalan's Prairie Aftershave
Houbigant Heritage EDP

Shower
Rockwell 6S (5) with Lord Racer blade (12)
Col Conk Lime
Omega 48
Re-lather and warm rinse

I've given up on trying to guess this blade. It just keeps on going. Maybe not as efficient as it used to be but still a great result with no damage. So I'm going to keep going with it. This soap isn't the best but with a lot of water it's not bad either - it keeps on taking water which is nice. I just love this brush...

Pre: Jojoba+Castor oil (unscented)
Razor: Rockwell 6S #5
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (1)
Brush: No name chemist's horse hair
Soap/Cream: My own soap - "Jojoba"
Aftershave Splash: Nivea Silver Protect (Latin American version - purchased in Peru)

My basic soap recipe is 52% Stearic Acid, 48% Coconut Oil, KoH and glycerine at 11% of oil weight and a 5% superfat (forgive the soap-making terms - happy to explain what they mean if anyone is unsure and interested). I recently performed an experiment by replacing 5% of the coconut oil with: Jojoba (1 tub), Castor oil (1 tub) and Tallow (1 tub). Today I used my Jojoba iteration (scented with some god awful fragrance oil creation called "Celtic Mist" - nice enough for a bath soap, which is why I bought it, but way too synthetic smelling for a shave soap).

I don't propose to make these posts reviews of my soap tests (I have a handwritten journal for such a purpose), just noting it for posterity.

Still working out the photography situation ... it's not going too far if I create and use a light box, is it? :)

Aftershave Splash: Nivea Silver Protect (Latin American version - purchased in Peru)

My basic soap recipe is 52% Stearic Acid, 48% Coconut Oil, KoH and glycerine at 11% of oil weight and a 5% superfat (forgive the soap-making terms - happy to explain what they mean if anyone is unsure and interested). I recently performed an experiment by replacing 5% of the coconut oil with: Jojoba (1 tub), Castor oil (1 tub) and Tallow (1 tub). Today I used my Jojoba iteration (scented with some god awful fragrance oil creation called "Celtic Mist" - nice enough for a bath soap, which is why I bought it, but way too synthetic smelling for a shave soap).

I don't propose to make these posts reviews of my soap tests (I have a handwritten journal for such a purpose), just noting it for posterity.

Still working out the photography situation ... it's not going too far if I create and use a light box, is it? :)
Happy to be a local Brisbane tester for any soap mate :)

Is it Rockwell razor day today as I didn't get the memo and nor own one?

Sunday shave
36367115466_caef540495_b.jpg

Today's shave
36412173595_99202d3023_b.jpg

I do like B&M reserve, and think their scent is a little better. Stirling is just a fantastic performing soap though, and the scent is still close. For the money, I'd probably be tempted to go it over the B&M.

Shower
Rockwell 6S (5) with Lord Racer blade (12)
Col Conk Lime
Omega 48
Re-lather and warm rinse

I've given up on trying to guess this blade. It just keeps on going. Maybe not as efficient as it used to be but still a great result with no damage. So I'm going to keep going with it. This soap isn't the best but with a lot of water it's not bad either - it keeps on taking water which is nice. I just love this brush...

Bombay shaving company (same as Bevel razor)
PolAg (4)
RR Bruce synth
LEA classic - tallow
Nivea splash

The razor is great, very hefty and very comfortable even with the aggressive base plate. Whilst I really like it, I'll probably sell it as i don't like multiple razors due to my minimalism.

LEA classic performed like a champ! I love this soap a lot!

Pre: Hot towel
Soap: APR Mycroft
Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: Merkur 15C
Blade: Feather hi stainless (1)
Conclude: Frog Morton Cellar in Peterson 314 rustic​

Trying a little experiment with the feather. Was hesitant to try it in the 15C, after I found it didn't work well in the Gillette New, but was a surprisingly good shave. Maybe the APR soap helped. I want to try it in my Gillette old style next to see how it compares to the 15C as they almost identical in design.

Been a while since i had a pipe too :cigar:

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (12)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: le Père Lucien shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: le Père Lucien splash
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDT

It needed a little extra - the Unconditional Surrender was it!

Not a bad blade 12 shaves in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.